Port Change on Cruise Next Week

tring

Posted (edited)

I think we have got to the bottom of this.  Seems there is a tender problem on Arcadia.  Last time they went to Guernsey they had to leave a tender there as there are problems with the mechanism for winding it back up onto the ship.  They apparently have over capacity for lifeboats, so no problems sailing without tender 13.

That rang some alarm bells for us as we have two tender ports on the Sept Canada/US cruise starting next week.  We were able to speak to the staff Captain who tells us that itinerary has not changed as things stand at present.  He also told us that the reason to cancel Guernsey is a combination of reasons, also mentioning the tides and customer feedback, saying people prefer a port where they are alongside and that we will have a better experience in A Coruna than we would have done in Guernsey.

To me that says P&O think we will have a better time in a port which we did not initially book, rather than one which we did book.  TBH our personal thoughts are that the tender situation is the main issue, but are hoping this can be resolved before we sail across the Atlantic - we were originally told they were hoping to get the issue sorted at the end of this cruise, or at the end of the next cruise.  We will see, but meanwhile it is a nice warm and sunny day here in Vigo.  Currently sitting in a bar, before we head back to the ship.

Cheers everyone.

Edited by tring
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

As you know @tring we join you for the TA next week. I share your hope that the tendering issue will be fixed (although I might not bother with Isles de la Madelaine anyway as it is quite a hassle with my wheelchair).

As an aside, what is the inside temperature on the ship? The last 2 times we have been on Arcadia I have needed a jumper every day (especially in the pub)!

Edited by Slugsta

6 hours ago, tring said:

I think we have got to the bottom of this.  Seems there is a tender problem on Arcadia.  Last time they went to Guernsey they had to leave a tender there as there are problems with the mechanism for winding it back up onto the ship.  They apparently have over capacity for lifeboats, so no problems sailing without tender 13.

That rang some alarm bells for us as we have two tender ports on the Sept Canada/US cruise starting next week.  We were able to speak to the staff Captain who tells us that itinerary has not changed as things stand at present.  He also told us that the reason to cancel Guernsey is a combination of reasons, also mentioning the tides and customer feedback, saying people prefer a port where they are alongside and that we will have a better experience in A Coruna than we would have done in Guernsey.

To me that says P&O think we will have a better time in a port which we did not initially book, rather than one which we did book.  TBH our personal thoughts are that the tender situation is the main issue, but are hoping this can be resolved before we sail across the Atlantic - we were originally told they were hoping to get the issue sorted at the end of this cruise, or at the end of the next cruise.  We will see, but meanwhile it is a nice warm and sunny day here in Vigo.  Currently sitting in a bar, before we head back to the ship.

Cheers everyone.

Bearing in mind the tender issue, i'm not teaching your granny to suck eggs but it's probably worth ensuring your travel insurance includes missed port cover & if it's an insurance company that offers different levels of cover to go for the premium option so you get more back per missed port.

On 8/29/2024 at 4:58 PM, Slugsta said:

As you know @tring we join you for the TA next week. I share your hope that the tendering issue will be fixed (although I might not bother with Isles de la Madelaine anyway as it is quite a hassle with my wheelchair).

As an aside, what is the inside temperature on the ship? The last 2 times we have been on Arcadia I have needed a jumper every day (especially in the pub)!

Temps around the ship is ok and our cabin was at first.  Had two incredibly hot nights in the cabin though, but got fine again last night and A/C now adjustable.

• Thanks 1