Last minute cancellation

if my guest has an unexpected medical emergency a few days prior to embarkation but I still plan on cruising, do I need to contact Holland America or can I just inform them when I board? The guest does have insurance, but not through HA. TIA

When I had to miss a cruise but my spouse was able to go, she told them at embarkation, and had to keep telling them after she got on ship because I was "missing" from the muster drill

This topic has been discussed a number of times over the past couple years.  The consensus  was that you should not inform HAL ahead of time to avoid them potentially charging you a single supplement fee.  When you embark, simply inform them that the other party will not be embarking on the cruise.

• Like 1

Would HAL charge the single supplement when they already have the second fare from the person who cancelled? Close to sailing, there's no return of the fare. If the guest has third-party insurance, whatever payout they give doesn't cost HAL anything.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Would HAL charge the single supplement when they already have the second fare from the person who cancelled? Close to sailing, there's no return of the fare. If the guest has third-party insurance, whatever payout they give doesn't cost HAL anything.

That is what I was thinking. The cruise is paid in full & my guest purchased her travel insurance separately, so any refund she might receive would come from the insurance company, not Holland America.  I don’t know why they would then charge me a single supplement on top of the full fare we have already paid. 

• Like 2

Definitely do not notify HAL prior to boarding that the second guest will not be going.

Upon boarding simple state that your guest is acutely ill, missed their fight etc. HAL got their money for two already so, just enjoy the cruise even though it's too bad your other guest could not cruise.

11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's a money grab and yes they do charge the solo supplement. The cruise lines treat it as two separate transactions because it benefits them to do so.. The person who cancelled forfeits whatever they paid. The person who is still going will be a solo and would be charged the solo supplement. You're better off having the other person just be a no show because they don't re-open the cruise and charge you.

• Like 2