Public wifi in Barcelona?

I was just wondering if I could expect there to be public wifi available while in Barcelona or if I should look into a travel plan for my cell phone while I'm there.

Thanks for any suggestions!

20 hours ago, SusieV said:

I was just wondering if I could expect there to be public wifi available while in Barcelona or if I should look into a travel plan for my cell phone while I'm there.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Surely most of restaurants will have wifi but...

Wanna buy a Spanish phone SIM card?. They are really cheap and they will offer you even local data network even.... valable in all EU countries too!!!

2 hours ago, alserrod said:

Surely most of restaurants will have wifi but...

Wanna buy a Spanish phone SIM card?. They are really cheap and they will offer you even local data network even.... valable in all EU countries too!!!

I'd have to do some research. I don't really understand how to do it all. Would I also be buying a phone plan then while I was there? Would it work for my whole European trip (Spain, Morocco, Iceland)? Does this work in an iPhone or is Apple a problem as it so often is? How much would it cost just for the basics?

I'm sorry I'm really really not good with technology but I'm sure I'll need at least internet access while I'm toodling about.

4 minutes ago, SusieV said:

but I'm sure I'll need at least internet access while I'm toodling about.

If you have a phone that takes eSIMs then just look at one of those providers that can add an eSIM from an app, providers such as Airalo.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

If you have a phone that takes eSIMs then just look at one of those providers that can add an eSIM from an app, providers such as Airalo.

I'm sorry, I literally have no idea- I don't mean to be difficult. I have an iPhone 13.

Edited by SusieV

3 minutes ago, SusieV said:

I'm sorry, I literally have no idea- I don't mean to be difficult. I have an iPhone 13.

Yes an iPhone 13 takes eSIMS.

With these apps such as Airalo (there are many) you simply download the app form the Apple App store, open the app, select which location you are in, how much data you want, and for how long, pay for it and it installs an eSIM and then you then need to select that eSIM from the normal sim that is in the phone.

It is easier than buying a physical SIM provided that you are familiar with installing apps and selecting an eSIM.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Yes an iPhone 13 takes eSIMS.

With these apps such as Airalo (there are many) you simply download the app form the Apple App store, open the app, select which location you are in, how much data you want, and for how long, pay for it and it installs an eSIM and then you then need to select that eSIM from the normal sim that is in the phone.

It is easier than buying a physical SIM provided that you are familiar with installing apps and selecting an eSIM.

Thank you. I'll have a look at that!

I must have visited 20 European cities in the last 15 years (including Barcelona) and wi fi is always available somewhere.

Barcelona has public wifi network provided by the local city council.

We were in Europe for 10 days this summer (Spain, France & Italy) and looked into the many options regarding cell phone use & WiFi.

At the end of the day, we purchased an international day plan, ($10) per day from our cell phone provider & it was the best decision & money well spent.

We were able to keep our cell number & carry on with our day to day activities of phone & internet usage and not have to worry about finding Wi-Fi while roaming around cities.

Of course there are many options as others will tell you, so the choice is yours depending on your level of tech savvy or your desire for ease & convenience.

Good luck & have fun.

On 8/26/2024 at 3:18 PM, SusieV said:

I'm sorry I'm really really not good with technology but I'm sure I'll need at least internet access while I'm toodling about.

That's you & me both, Susie.🙄

The fewer complications the better, and it's simplest if you do the same as doombrain JB.

You will find most cafes & bars offer free wifi - it's mentioned on signs outside the establishment.

You'll almost always need their password to get on-line - before ordering a drink or snack check that other customers are happily tapping away, mebbe even ask them if the wifi is a decent speed, cos some are so poor as to be unusable.

If others are having wifi frustrations, walk on to another establishment.

Ask the server for the password when you order. Unless the choice of provider is obvious, and it's a simple password or it's written down, ask the server to press the buttons on your tablet.

Be aware that it's public wifi, accessible to anyone who knows the password, and its not unknown for another customer to be a scammer "listening-in". So don't open anything sensitive like your bank account or even browse your on-line purchases and certainly don't enter any personal passwords to access your private information - just use it to browse the 'net for for news, sports results etc.

You can probably do other things without compromising your security but I'll leave it to those more techno-savvy to tell you just what.

JB 🙂