If you don't eaet in the main dining room, are you still obligated to tip?

with upper management onboard another cruiseline(he has worked on other lines also) and he says they DO pool the tips. I believe the crew tell us they do not because they realize we will not tip as well if we know they are being pooled...jmo.

Marie

with upper management onboard another cruiseline(he has worked on other lines also) and he says they DO pool the tips. I believe the crew tell us they do not because they realize we will not tip as well if we know they are being pooled...jmo.

Marie

I tip better when I know they are pooled so I know everyone will get a fair share.

It is just like a land based restaurant...Tips are shared between the server, bus boy and cooks. It doesn't give any guarantee that the wait staff is going to be honest about the amount they receive in tips. Just the same cfor cruise ships. But most of the tips are put on the sea pass account, and therefore they know how much was received in tips.

When I was in college I worked as a waitress in a number of restaurants. I never shared tips with the cook. The cooks are usually paid a better salary then the waitstaff. A percentage of my tips usually 5 or 10 was given to the bus staff.

In regards to me paying the ships waitstaffs salary that is what my cruise price pays for. I eat in the Windjammer and I tip in the Windjammer. I do not feel obligated to tip the dining room waitstaff if I never set foot in there. All of these people who try and guilt people by saying that we as customers should pay the waitstaffs salaries should take their emails and forward them to corporate so they are forced to pay a living wage. It is not up to the customer to make up for this. If it was it would be called a salary not a tip.

When I was in college I worked as a waitress in a number of restaurants. I never shared tips with the cook. The cooks are usually paid a better salary then the waitstaff. A percentage of my tips usually 5 or 10 was given to the bus staff.

In regards to me paying the ships waitstaffs salary that is what my cruise price pays for. I eat in the Windjammer and I tip in the Windjammer. I do not feel obligated to tip the dining room waitstaff if I never set foot in there. All of these people who try and guilt people by saying that we as customers should pay the waitstaffs salaries should take their emails and forward them to corporate so they are forced to pay a living wage. It is not up to the customer to make up for this. If it was it would be called a salary not a tip.

Great post!!!!

I have been on both sides of this debate. Not required, but if it were me..... I would go to the dining room on the first day, let them know you will not be there to eat so your table can be freed up for someone else (and I still would tip something to the waiter and asst. waiter on the last night, but that's me).
I'd do the same thing. After telling the head waiter that I don't intend to have dinner in the dining room at all, I'd feel no obligation to pay tips to waiters whose services I literally never used.

However, I would plan ahead and bring plenty of small bills onboard so that I could tip AT EACH MEAL whether it was breakfast in the dining room or dinner in the Windjammer. This would insure that I did compensate each waiter fairly for his or her work.

I totally agree!!

I have no problem with tipping those who deserve it but I always hate that there are those that feel it is mandatory. If I need to pay someones salary straight from my pocket then I would really prefer the cruise line to just add it in up front and not call it a tip. I don't know call it a mandatory service fee or something. The reason why American's don't work on the cruise's is because they can't. The cruise ships are all registered outside of the US so that they do not have to follow our labor laws.

I have no problem with tipping those who deserve it but I always hate that there are those that feel it is mandatory. If I need to pay someones salary straight from my pocket then I would really prefer the cruise line to just add it in up front and not call it a tip. I don't know call it a mandatory service fee or something. The reason why American's don't work on the cruise's is because they can't. The cruise ships are all registered outside of the US so that they do not have to follow our labor laws.

I agree and the day is coming when cruisers will have NO choice about whether to tip or not. Gratuities are another feature of cruising that has been badly abused over the past 10 years or so. Your average cruiser does not know exactly what the tip is all about. With a stiff rate of around 30% (and growing) the lines will step in..the only question is who will be first to bill non-negotiable, non-refundable tips OR just add it to the cruise fare.

BTW, many Americans are working on cruise ships although probably not many on the wait staff or cabin steward staff.

To reiterate, they work for NOTHING but tips. If you don't tip them, you're screwing them out of their livlihood. If that sits well on your conscience, whatever. I'm not quite that heartless, I always tip.
While I'm not advocating failing to tip, this isn't true. They work for tips AND their room and board (probably medical care too, but I'm not sure). In many of the countries from which they come, just providing oneself with food, clothing, and shelter is an uphill battle every day. Don't underestimate the value of these benefits. Given that their needs are provided, a crew member who wanted to do so could probably save 95% of his wages -- what other workers can do that? Maybe a sailor while he's at sea.

Someone will certainly pipe up that their living conditions are small and lack privacy. This is true when compared to the lifestyle of a middle-class American; however, compared to many of the countries from which they come, they're quite comfortable. Their living quarters are similar to the college dorm in which I lived happily for years, and they're not much worse than my first few apartments.

Again, I do think everyone should tip for good service; however, I don't buy into the "oh, the poor crew" mentality. Obviously, they chose to take these jobs -- they thought it was a worthwhile venture and a fair shake, or at least it was the best deal they found. I'm all for paying them what's owed, but I'm not in favor of paying because you pity their conditions.

we went right over to the dining changes area and talked to the head waiter and told him that this cruise we are opting to eat in Windjammer and to please give our table to someone that would like it in second seating. There were tons trying to switch to late seating, so this probably came in handy for someone in need.

This is absolutely great of you both. If you don't intend to eat in the DR - there is vacant seats! Kudos to you for letting the dinning room staff know.....The makings of a perfect new thread. - Look for it:rolleyes:

I agree with those of you who spoke up and pointed out that tips are just that, TIPS.

First of all, as my grandfather used to say, "you asked the man for the job". While its admirable that someone would take a contract on a ship to support his/her family, its really not my responsibility to gift them at the end of my cruise if they did a sub-standard job. They understand when taking the contract how much they will be paid and that a part of their salary will come from tips which are dependent upon service. When they sign on the dotted line, they are acknowledging that this setup is acceptable to them. Where they come from or who there supporting is not really my business and has no impact on my decision to tip more or less. It should be based on the level of service received from this person for the length of my cruise.

In any event, I rarely reduce my tip significantly, even for poor service. In both land based restaurants and on the ship, I tip above the required amount for good service because I recognize that serving the general public in that way is a very difficult job. I dont have much respect for the population of people out there who withhold tips from good servers. What can I say? I guess some people are just cheap :P

Maybe someone can explain to me the concept of notifying the waiter when you won't be dining in the dining room so that the seat can be filled with another person who may offer tips. I've seen this expressed on several threads but it still gives me pause for thought. Presumably, everyone on the ship is assigned a seat for dinner when they are booked onto the cruise. So, why would notifying the waiter change anything in regards to his ability to earn tips. Its not like there are people lined up outside waiting to come in for dinner who don't have a seat. Everyone is already assigned a table. I suppose one may want a different table assignment or the other seating but then when they are changed, a blank spot would be left at the original table and therefore, someone would still miss out on the tips. Because we've established that the servers work everywhere for all meals, I think the best policy is for those not eating in the dining room to carry bills and tip per meal what they feel is appropriate.

I must tell you that my BIL just came off of his third contract as a restaurant manager with Celebrity. This is termed as a maitre'd by most. I see that its recommended that you tip the maitre'd $.75 pp/pd and I find that ridiculous. I'm sure he appreciated the tips. But, he was paid a VERY handsome salary to do this job (more than most people make, American or foreign). I can't speak for what the servers are paid but I know that he did very well with this. He certainly wasn't dependent on our $10.50 although, as I said, I'm sure he appreciated the amount of money he received by the end of the cruise.

I do not feel obligated to tip the dining room waitstaff if I never set foot in there. All of these people who try and guilt people by saying that we as customers should pay the waitstaffs salaries should take their emails and forward them to corporate so they are forced to pay a living wage. It is not up to the customer to make up for this. If it was it would be called a salary not a tip.

I must respectfully disagree with this view (and others similarly expressed) of the issue. I have posted on this several times, so rather than rewrite it all again, I will quote myself from a recent thread on the merits of tipping the (sometimes unseen) Assistant Chief Housekeeper on the Celebrity line:

As some of you may know, I keep my eye on this whole tipping thing pretty closely. I don't claim to be an expert, or to speak with any more authority than what careful observation of the situation gives me the credibility to say.

Of all the tipping issues I have seen, I can think of none that more clearly illustrate my position that "tip" is absolutely the wrong word to use for what happens on a cruise ship.

The big beef seems to be that it is not palatable to tip someone who is unseen, or whose services are unseen. If this transaction were really a "tip" in the traditional sense of the word, I would be hard pressed to disagree. We are used to tipping the pizza delivery guy. The waiter or waitress at our favorite restaurant. The cab driver.

Throw all those examples out the window, they have nothing to do with what happens on a cruise.

When you go on a cruise, there are people who work to provide services to you that we have all come to expect. A cruise is a product, an experience that you purchase, from the time you first arrive at check-in, until the last time you walk down the gangway. It is very sophisticated, carefully orchestrated, thoroughly planned, well staffed, and practiced more times than you can begin to imagine. Every person (and there are hundreds) involved in bringing every aspect of that product to your enjoyment is doing their job. They have every right to expect to earn a fair compensation for doing that job.

We can certainly talk about the history of tipping on this particular line. It is interesting, and I always enjoy such kinds of stories, but it is quite irrelevant. It doesn't matter how or why tipping this person or that person came about. The only thing that matters is that the people who are working on the ship expect to earn a living, and the cruise line has established a system or a business model that balances many things, of which are included fare prices, add-on purchases, and tipping. All these numbers are carefully juggled with the hope that you are willing to buy a ticket, and the folks who work for you can make a living.

It is certainly a valid point worth discussing whether people should be tipped, or rather should be paid salaries from ticket prices, and if so, who should that system include. But the choice that is to be made is not whether or not you should participate in the established system on your cruise line. No! The choice is to pick a cruise line that employs the system you prefer!

To not participate in the established system only hurts those who work very hard so that you can enjoy a wonderful product.

I would submit that non-participation also threatens the very survival of that system, as it is untenable for the service providers to not make a living. Therefore, if the system does not work as it is, it will be changed (that is, automatic service charges) so that it will work.

If you can't stand tipping, then pick a line that includes tips in your fare! If you don't want to tip a particular job, then pick a line that does not recommend that you tip that particular job!

I don't write this to be mean, or tell anyone they are wrong. In all my reading about tipping, most of the positions are based on incorrect foundations. It doesn't help anyone to start from the wrong place, so I'm just trying to get us on the same ground here.

Very respectfully,

Theron

My point is, the cruiseline establishes the compensation system, if you don't like it, you should not participate at all (i.e. pick another cruise line), rather than pick and choose which parts you wish to.

Theron

We took our family on our very first cruise in July, 2000. The kids were still really young and that is why we had not cruised before. Our first Cruise was on the Big Red Boat's "Island Breeze" and sailed out of Houston to Veracruz, Mexico, Playa Del Carmen and Cozymel. While the Ship itself was 40 years old, the service and food was very good, better than RCCL if I may say,and we like RCCL, we are scheduled to take our 3rd RCCL cruise. As most people know, The Big Red Boat Cruise line ( For the life of me I can't remember the name of the cruise line, not Disney, Disney had sold it by then), went bankrupt in Fall, 2000. I remember how much we liked the dining experience in the main dining room. (The secondary dining areas were terrible). Our waiter and asst waiter were terrific. And we had a wine steward as well, and he was so good, aways there to pour my glass of wine, not just the first glass. Anyway, this cruise line pre-charged you for the tips and then if you wanted to, you could tip extra as you wanted to whomever you wanted. I think that is the way to go. Leaves the "tipping" as a real tip. Now they did go bankrupt. So who knows? But keep in mind the servers in the dining room are mostly from 2nd and 3rd world countries. Many have families at home including children that they do not see for six months at a time. They do not receive salaries, only room and board and a small stipend each week. They work for the tips. And in my opinion, they do a heck of a job. Many Americans as well as Europeans work on the ships, but they are mostly in salaried positions. Big difference. I like the idea of the mandatory, prepaid "tips", since most of us know they are not really tips but are in fact salary. And as far as those who say why should I pay their salary, well, YOU are paying for EVERYBODY'S salary that is connected with your cruise. From the guy who is in the laundry room washing your sheets and towels to the President of the Cruiseline. If the people who stiff the waitstaff and cabin stewards increases, we will all pay more in the end. If the waitstaff and stewards aren't "tipped" well, one of two things will occur, prices of cruises will increase to compensate them or the service level will deteriorate markedly.

Only tips added to sea pass cards are divided among all the wait staff. Tipping in cash remains with the person to whom you gave the tip.

If this was a job with such horrendous working conditions as I've seen posted on cruise critic, do you think anyone would ever sign a second contract? I have met waiters that have been doing this for 6 and 7 years.

Tipping is not mandatory but it is appropriate in our society. Adjusting a tip for the quality of service either up or down is fine, but to just completely skip it is not an option I personally would ever do.

Our last cruise was a 3 night Bahama on the Majesty and my main goal was simply to not pack ANY bag which required check-in at the airport. You can't believe how much easier embarking and disembarking is withour lugging suitcases around.

To accomplish this, I had to forgo packing any semi-formal or formal attire. My wife & I agreed that we would eat all our meals in the Windjammer. Immediately upon boarding, we went to the dining room and told our head waiter & waiter this and handed them their customary tip plus $25.

The next day we were having lunch in the Windjammer and the waiter whom we tipped was working there. He remembered us and went out of his way to make sure we had everything we wanted for lunch. He even went to the buffet to get me fresh fruit not on the serving line and kept refilling our beverages. It always pays to do the right thing!!!

I wish all ships would just institute the non-tipping policy and have it built into the price of the cruise. Then...if extraordinary service is given an additional tip can be given. If the tips are the major part of the salaries then why not make it part of the price of the cruise.

I also agree that if you never intend to eat in the dining room, you give your table to someone else, and are tipping in another restaurant, and your dining room personnel are being tipped by someone else, you shouldn't be obligated. Maybe if your TA or RCCL knows that when you make the reservation a table will never be assigned. I don't know the answer but I would rather have the tips, no matter what restaurant you dine in, built into the price of the cruise.

Archived