Phone theft in Rome - police report

Steerpike58

Can't believe this happened to me but it did.  Very clever trio in metro; a guy sprang from behind and started retching at my feet (as in, pretending to vomit), I lept back to avoid him, and he ran off, and that was it.  5 mins later i noticed my phone was gone (it was in a top front pocket so not entirely secure but had been using it to check station names, walking directions, etc). I then realized a young respectable-looking couple to my right also ran, and pieced it together that they were scoping me out and got the phone when the guy startled me.  I'm pretty savvy so this blew me away. 

Anyway, $1,200 brand new phone is gone.  The ship sailed the next morning at 11 and top priority was to remote lock or wipe the device.  I did visit the police station near hotel but they couldn't file a report because ...boss wasn't there to sign.  They sent me to another station but by then time ran out.  

So .... I'm sure this happens to a lot of people in Rome... have you had any luck making a claim on insurance without a police report? Their requirement is for 'proof of loss' I believe. The timing of being in port for so little time makes filing reports so hard.

Sigh... 40 years ago I had a camera stolen in Italy and here we are again ...

Sorry this happened to you, pick pockets are very professional and organized in Europe, unfortunately.  Americans are unaccustomed to this level of "professionalism", we are more used to mugging with a weapon vs. the work of distraction and theft.  (I personally think that American thieves are lazy, why bother perfecting technique when you've got a gun.)

I've never tried to make a claim like this so I can't offer anything other than condolences.  Hopefully others will be more helpful.

Sorry this happened to you OP. Pick pocketing is something I always worry about when I travel to Europe.  On a RCCL cruise years ago, they had a former professional pick pocketing thief turned security consultant to host a show one night. He invited a male guest on stage and used all kind of distraction techniques to clean the guy out of his wallet, wrist watch and even pant suspenders in front of the audience. The guest had no clue what he lost until he was shown what was taken from him. It was entertaining but also demonstrated how easy it can be done by a professional pick pocketing thief.

On 9/1/2024 at 3:29 PM, Steerpike58 said:

I had my passport and wallet deeply hidden away but the challenge w phones is, they are great at getting you around (Google maps), most museums want you to use e-tickets, and of course the cameras are so damn good you are whipping it out all the time.  So it's harder to hide.  I had a document on the phone that laid out my daily agenda also.

23 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I had my passport and wallet deeply hidden away

Hopefully your passport was hidden away in the hotel/ship safe, rather than risking it on the streets in Rome.

And for payments, then contactless payments from a card on an Android/Apple watch is more sensible.

but the challenge w phones is, they are great at getting you around (Google maps),

An Android Watch?

I use Apple Watch all the time with Apple maps, and no need to take my phone out to navigate.

most museums want you to use e-tickets,

Again Android/Apple Watch is the solution with e-tickets, as you can store them in Android/Apple Wallet and show them from your Watch.

and of course the cameras are so damn good you are whipping it out all the time.

That is more problematic.

I had a document on the phone that laid out my daily agenda also.

Google/Apple calendar which you can access on Android/Apple Watch.

Not a promotion for Android/Apple Watches, but when you are somewhere where pickpockets and phone snatch thieves are prevalent, but need directions, tickets, agenda items, messages, phone calls, etc. then it is an awful lot less risky.

Edited by 9265359

As a woman I prefer those cell phone chains so I can hang it around my neck. But I just saw some device similar to a card you need to carry around. It´s with a roll up cord and can be connected to your cell phone. So this prevents your cell phone from being taken easily plus it can´t fall out of your pocket. The cord might not be safe in regards of it can´t be cut. But when you have your phone in a front pocket of your clothes or an easy access pocket of your bag it can´t be taken easly without you noticing anything.

I also have a belly bag with zippers which can be locked with a carabiner.

steamboats

23 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Hopefully your passport was hidden away in the hotel/ship safe, rather than risking it on the streets in Rome.

We pre-booked the Vatican museum, but they required photo ID for ticket validation. The only photo ID we have is a passport, and a US driver's license. We weren't sure whether they would accept a US driver's license or not in Italy so we had to bring our passports. But, we did keep the passports deeply buried away so not much risk.

And for payments, then contactless payments from a card on an Android/Apple watch is more sensible.

Even though I'm a techie nerd, I have never felt the need to use contactless payment phone. I am much more comfortable using a credit card with contactless features. But the suggestion to use a watch in conjunction with the phone certainly has merit.

An Android Watch?

I use Apple Watch all the time with Apple maps, and no need to take my phone out to navigate.

Well, that is certainly an interesting suggestion. I haven't worn a watch in 20 years, and don't really fancy starting to wear one again, however I certainly wouldn't mind trying an Android watch as an experiment. My partner is an Apple user, and she has an Apple watch but she never tries to use any of the special features. As much as I prefer Android, I'm not too optimistic about the quality of their watch integration compared to apple. Do you know people who have used Android watches with good results? I am a Samsung Android phone user and I assume a Samsung watch would be my best bet.

Again Android/Apple Watch is the solution with e-tickets, as you can store them in Android/Apple Wallet and show them from your Watch.

I am very skeptical that an Android watch would be able to display only the relevant information with sufficient clarity (the barcode, etc) but I guess I should really get one and try it.

Google/Apple calendar which you can access on Android/Apple Watch.

Not a promotion for Android/Apple Watches, but when you are somewhere where pickpockets and phone snatch thieves are prevalent, but need directions, tickets, agenda items, messages, phone calls, etc. then it is an awful lot less risky.

I certainly appreciate the suggestion and have to say, I never considered it. I guess I could get used to wearing a watch at least while on vacation. Do you have personal experience with the Android side of things in this regard? As I said, I prefer the Android solution in many ways, but I'm just not as optimistic about their watch solutions for some reason. Is there one particular configuration you would suggest?

13 hours ago, steamboats said:

As a woman I prefer those cell phone chains so I can hang it around my neck. But I just saw some device similar to a card you need to carry around. It´s with a roll up cord and can be connected to your cell phone. So this prevents your cell phone from being taken easily plus it can´t fall out of your pocket. The cord might not be safe in regards of it can´t be cut. But when you have your phone in a front pocket of your clothes or an easy access pocket of your bag it can´t be taken easly without you noticing anything.

I also have a belly bag with zippers which can be locked with a carabiner.

steamboats

I actually bought a neck strap attachment prior to this trip, but ended up not bringing it because I didn't like the way the phone bounced around as I walked, and I didn't like the way it attached to the phone (it was pretty minimalist, and looked a bit flimsy - attaching to the case through the charger opening). However, there are dozens of variations of how neck straps can attach to phones so I could look into that further. I do worry a little, that a determined thief could really pull hard on a strap and it may break, or cause injury! 

My phone was in a front pocket, but they managed to distract me enough to get to it. It was a top pocket not a bottom pocket and it wasn't sealed, because I had just used it, but still, they managed to get it. It would probably have been okay had it been shoved into a lower front pocket, but today's phones are so big, it's quite uncomfortable to have a phone shoved down a front pocket!

Also, if you do attach a substantial strap to the phone (which also typically requires a more substantial case) it makes putting the phone in a pocket that much harder if you do want to try to hide it.

Actually I have two cases, one without the neck strap for use in a bag and one with a neck strap. So it´s not were thick. I don´t think that anyone will grab the strap and pull.

But here are two examples for devices to secure a cell phone

Number 1 has a telephone spiral cord. Number 2 has a pull out cord. Both can be used with a regular phone case.

I also prefer the neck strap case for making photos onboard. I always in fear that my cell phone might fall overboard when taking a photo ;-).

steamboats

1 hour ago, Steerpike58 said:

We pre-booked the Vatican museum, but they required photo ID for ticket validation.

Fair enough.

Even though I'm a techie nerd, I have never felt the need to use contactless payment phone. I am much more comfortable using a credit card with contactless features.

Try it and see!

Contactless on a physical card has no protection - if you have the card you can make payments, and then you are relying on the bank to accept it was stolen and refund you.

Contactless on a phone, then you need to have opened the wallet on the phone to make the payment and that means you have needed to unlock it with your finger or face. And with an Apple Watch, you need to enter a passcode to unlock it when you put it on, and if you remove it from your wrist (it knows if you do) then it locks.

My partner is an Apple user, and she has an Apple watch but she never tries to use any of the special features.

All she needs to do is start navigating a walking route in Apple Maps (not Google Maps) on her phone and it will appear on her watch.

I am very skeptical that an Android watch would be able to display only the relevant information with sufficient clarity (the barcode, etc)

Mostly they are QR codes, and I use my Apple Watch all the time for cinema tickets, store loyalty cards, airline tickets, train tickets, etc.

Do you have personal experience with the Android side of things in this regard?

Sorry, everyone I know uses Apple.

On 9/5/2024 at 2:20 AM, steamboats said:

Actually I have two cases, one without the neck strap for use in a bag and one with a neck strap. So it´s not were thick. I don´t think that anyone will grab the strap and pull.

But here are two examples for devices to secure a cell phone

Number 1 has a telephone spiral cord. Number 2 has a pull out cord. Both can be used with a regular phone case.

I also prefer the neck strap case for making photos onboard. I always in fear that my cell phone might fall overboard when taking a photo ;-).

steamboats

And here is a link for U.S. Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cell+phone+teather&crid=1KRCSVQNL9PBW&sprefix=cell+phone+teather%2Caps%2C187&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Plenty of options.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CardowMD said:

I think I will find some paper maps to use! If they still make them. To be safe will see if I can find some old ones in my prior cruise files.

Holding a paper map (or a newspaper) directly to your body and then picking your wallet is one of the oldest scams in Rome and other cities 🤣.

steamboats

Before smart phones existed, did any of us wander the streets with a big map unfolded?  I don't think so, I know I didn't.  We looked at the map, figured out where we needed to go, then folded it up and headed out.   Sometimes we made a wrong turn or two, but somehow we still made it to wherever we were going, and sometimes we saw something even more interesting on the "wrong" path.

Part of the answer may be more pre-trip planning, like the old days, and less reliance on technology in the moment.  Maybe think of the phone mapping as a backup plan, rather than the primary tool.

Also, consider that one way to prevent becoming a victim is not to be distracted, and staring at your phone is distracting.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Before smart phones existed, did any of us wander the streets with a big map unfolded?  I don't think so, I know I didn't.  We looked at the map, figured out where we needed to go, then folded it up and headed out.

You still frequently see it, so not so sure why you think such behaviour never existed.

Sometimes we made a wrong turn or two, but somehow we still made it to wherever we were going, and sometimes we saw something even more interesting on the "wrong" path.

Yep, and years ago before satnavs I ended up in a very dubious neighbourhood in the US where I decided that no matter what colour the traffic lights I wasn't stopping.

And although it was "interesting" being in such an area, I wasn't an experience I would wish to repeat.

Part of the answer may be more pre-trip planning, like the old days, and less reliance on technology in the moment.  Maybe think of the phone mapping as a backup plan, rather than the primary tool.

Or just use the technology more sensibly.

You actually see people walking down the street with a big map unfolded?  

I do agree, we should all learn to use our technology sensibly rather than follow it blindly.  You can just as easily follow a satnav into a sketchy neighborhood under the guise of a faster route as you could with a paper map.

• Like 1

No advice, but I'm sorry this happened to you! I hope you don't end up with any fallout from the loss. It's a reason I don't keep financial items on my phone. I would be extremely upset about losing pictures, but at least I wouldn't lose money in my bank accounts. Good luck getting a report and hope things got better!

21 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You actually see people walking down the street with a big map unfolded?

Working in London it isn't uncommon at all to see tourists with paper maps - and I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked for directions with people using them because they don't know which way is 'up'.

12 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

It's a reason I don't keep financial items on my phone.

Better there protected by biometric security than somewhere else less secure.

12 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

I would be extremely upset about losing pictures

Why would they be lost? They would all be stored in the cloud.

@9265359 - not everyone uses the cloud. 😉 I don't... and that's my choice and yes, I live with that choice. And sorry, but in my city, where they have shot people to get their financial info on their phones, I'll pass. I don't need anything from my bank while I'm on the go. I do it all at home. Again, personal choice. I already dislike my bank for them trying to always push me to use the app, do it on your phone, etc... No thanks!

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

Working in London it isn't uncommon at all to see tourists with paper maps - and I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked for directions with people using them because they don't know which way is 'up'.

Reminds of an episode of "Friends", where the Joey character can't figure out where things are unless he climbs into the map of London.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Reminds of an episode of "Friends", where the Joey character can't figure out where things are unless he climbs into the map of London.

I was particularly amused by the man who stopped me and asked which direction Big Ben was as I was walking at this spot towards Westminster tube - https://maps.app.goo.gl/U8HwXN78j4ATM31r7

On 9/8/2024 at 4:51 AM, kctwinmommy said:

No advice, but I'm sorry this happened to you! I hope you don't end up with any fallout from the loss. It's a reason I don't keep financial items on my phone. I would be extremely upset about losing pictures, but at least I wouldn't lose money in my bank accounts. Good luck getting a report and hope things got better!

I paid extra to have cellular data coverage during the trip, and I use Google photos on my phone which syncs all my photos to the Google cloud. I needed the cellular data coverage anyway, for Google maps/etc. Luckily, all photos had synced before the theft. Note that you can use Google photos or Apple photos and sync just the photos, without using other cloud services.

I have a tremendous amount of information stored on the phone, or should I say accessible through the phone. I am completely at the mercy of how secure the pin, thumbprint, and facial recognition is.  I never did get a police report, and now ... over a week later, I'm still trying to get access to one of my accounts. I cannot prove who I am because all four methods of validation are tied to the phone in different ways ... Voice call, text message, authenticator app, Outlook app.  I'm now working with their data protection team but since I'm on a cruise, frequently out of communication, it's proving to be a real challenge. All I want to do is change the password on my account so that the phone will be locked out, but until I prove to them who I am, they won't give me access to the admin console. So ironically, there's a possibility that the thief could have access to my account while I'm being put through the wringer trying to prove who I am (this is an email account I'm talking about, not a bank account; all the banks did respond to calls from me and have shut down access).

Anyone reading this who uses their phone for two factor authentication please take note; do not let your phone be the only means for providing the second Factor because if the phone is lost, stolen, damaged etc you may really struggle to gain access to your accounts. If I weren't 10,000 miles away from home, this wouldn't be so bad. I would have bought a replacement phone by now, and at least being able to receive a voice call or text on the old number, and also I could sit on the phone for hours waiting for customer support. I'm trying not to let this incident ruin my vacation, so when we are on land (and therefore in cellular service) I'm traveling around and not in a position to be calling and being on hold for hours. I could pay an additional $35 per day to use the ships cellular service on top of the $100 I'm paying for the month of land-based cellular service but I'm not convinced even that would help much.

I have a lot of research to do when I get home to find a much better solution to the situation!

• Like 1

Do you have an iPad with you? 

Do you remember your Outlook password? If so, you can access your outlook account through "Outlook.com" on the ship's business computer (not totally safe, but it should do).