Dinner attire for kids??

larie

My husband and I have been on 2 cruises and have dressed exactly as was requested. I spent so much time getting the clothes ready etc. Each time we have looked around the dining room and seen others not dressed as requested. They didn't look bad, just not what was asked. We are now taking our 3 kids with us and I don't want to kill myself getting their clothing just right. We will be on Carnival. I am thinking of not buying button down/ collared shirts for my 7 year old son, on non-formal nights. I can't imagine anyone saying anything. Has anyone had any experience with this? I will have my girls wear skirts or capris and shirts. Any problem here? Thanks.

Collared button shirts and maybe khakis would be fine for boys on non-formal nights, and your girl's clothing sounds fine as well. For formal nights boy's clothing ranges from dress shirt and tie to suits to tuxes. Girl's formal wear es easy--dressy Easter or flower-girl type or Christmas gowns are fine.

A lot of guys--young and old---like to wear polo/golf shirts. These look great on a kid with a pair of khakis or nice jeans, and they don't feel like they are "dressed up" all that much. I saw a number of elementary aged kids on the Valor last December dressed like that on the non-formal nights. "Resort casual" !!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

We are veteran cruisers with our daughter. On a few cruises when she was in the 5,6, 7 age range. The cruise line kids program planned a special dinner and party for the kids which she preferred to go to....leaving us free to have a great "adult" evening.... she didn't need to dress up at all. On our last cruise...most of the children wore Sunday clothes. I actually think that as long as the kids are really well behaved nobody cares what they wear.

I'm an adult. So are you. We wear what's asked, and what's appropriate. Children? I'm more concerned with their behavior than their wardrobe. When they get old enough that they feel underdressed for the occasion they will let you know.

Carnival states it ver simple in their FAQs:

"The dress requirement for children is the same."

Royal Carribean uses some more words:

"We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children."

There are no differences in dress codes between adults and children.

We cruised w/DS'S on Disney except for formal nite DS'S wore golf shirts and bone or black cargo pants w/a belt.Went back to shorts or bathing suit after dinner...We also lucked out DS'S in a wedding few months before cruise so they had black suits ties and dress shoes that still fitted by cruyise time...Oh DS'S were 12 and 14 then.If suits did not fit we had planned on dress pants (Walmart has them for boys $12-$15)and a pre packaged tie and shirt also Wal-mart about $15.:cool: :)

Archived