Queen Mary 2: Transatlantic vs Port to Port Cruising

Codakrome

My husband and I have a transatlantic cruise booked from Southampton to NY on the Queen Mary 2 in April 2025 in Princess class.  We specifically want to travel on the Queen Mary 2, but are now considering the Norwegian fjords trip she does in early April instead of the transatlantic.    What is the difference (other than destinations) on the Queen Mary 2 between a transatlantic crossing and a regular port to port cruise?     We are going to spend a few days in London so would like to do the Queen Mary also.  We live in NY so the transatlantic is also our transportation home.  However, I have always wanted to cruise the Norwegian fjords so the other cruise is very tempting.  Would you recommend a transatlantic over a port to port on the Queen Mary 2?  They both have two formal nights I see.  Are the on board activities less on a multi-port cruise?   Just curious to see if we would be missing anything if we didn't do the transatlantic.  What have you experienced with either, do you have a preference, and any other thoughts or suggestions?  And would you recommend Queen's grill class over Princess?  The Princess Grill suite is more than adequate and comfortable for us as far as accommodations.    It looks like the only other difference is in the dining room menus.   Is the Queens Grill preferable?    Thank you! 

The Transatlantic is like nothing else. Cunard obviously are aware there is nothing but the ship and have lots of enrichment activities of different sorts to occupy you. However, I have spent hours just staring at the ever changing sea and being amazed at the size of the earth. The fjords are very nice too, but not nearly so distinctive an experience.

The PG cabins on QM2 (unlike the Vistas) are so nice that I wouldn’t necessarily have thought it was worthwhile to upgrade to Q.

• Like 4

I have done TA and ports cruises on QM2 many times.  I enjoy both.  They are different.  Obviously the ship, food, rooms and staff are the same.  Both have formal nights.  Both serve afternoon teas.  TAs tend to have more daytime activities and talks.  There is more than enough to do.  With ports, there is clearly more emphasis on destinations.  TAs, to me, feel less rushed but you also have daily time changes, gaining or losing an hour each tine depending on direction.  

I have been in PG on other Cunard ships but not on Mary so cant help.  

1 hour ago, shippmates said:

I did a roundtrip from NYC including the Fjords and back to NYC on the QM2.  This was in May of 2023.  Check with your travel agent if you can do a trip like this.

There's a version of this next July. I'm doing the 14 days, Southampton, Norway, Iceland, transatlantic (with a stop in Halifax). There may be an EB TA before the 14-day voyage. 

I loved PG for our TA last year doing the same thing, using the Crossing to get home from spending 10 days in the UK. As mentioned above, the wide QM2 PG suite with a real walk-in closet (with extra wardrobes) and large bathroom and balcony should keep you comfortable for a week or more. In my opinion, PG on QM2 is the best value in the fleet. The food was very good in PG, with two minor exceptions (pancakes and gnocchi). The TA is a great experience; I’d pick that over a cruise if I had to choose. But try to do the NY/NY round trip via the Fjords.

Bottom line, I see QM2 as the destination. I find that ship spacious and fascinating. Unless you want a bigger suite, I don’t see the reason to go QG. On the Cunard Vistas, I’d do QG over PG, as a side note. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Codakrome said:

My husband and I have a transatlantic cruise booked from Southampton to NY on the Queen Mary 2 in April 2025 in Princess class.  We specifically want to travel on the Queen Mary 2, but are now considering the Norwegian fjords trip she does in early April instead of the transatlantic.    What is the difference (other than destinations) on the Queen Mary 2 between a transatlantic crossing and a regular port to port cruise?     We are going to spend a few days in London so would like to do the Queen Mary also.  We live in NY so the transatlantic is also our transportation home.  However, I have always wanted to cruise the Norwegian fjords so the other cruise is very tempting.  Would you recommend a transatlantic over a port to port on the Queen Mary 2?  They both have two formal nights I see.  Are the on board activities less on a multi-port cruise?   Just curious to see if we would be missing anything if we didn't do the transatlantic.  What have you experienced with either, do you have a preference, and any other thoughts or suggestions?  And would you recommend Queen's grill class over Princess?  The Princess Grill suite is more than adequate and comfortable for us as far as accommodations.    It looks like the only other difference is in the dining room menus.   Is the Queens Grill preferable?    Thank you! 

I equally like both QM2 transatlantic crossings & QM2 cruises and have done both. My next QM2 voyage is the November 20th of this year 13 night Caribbean cruise. What I like best about this QM2 cruise is that after the QM2 sails out of NY on November 20th, there are then 3 days at sea until the QM2 arrives to the first Caribbean island on this itinerary on November 24th and there are 6 Caribbean islands the QM2 visits from November 24th through to November 29th. Then there are 3 more days at sea for the sailing back to NY and the QM2 arrives back in NY on December 3rd. So that there are altogether 6 days at sea and I really like sea days. And at some or maybe all 6 Caribbean islands there will be other Cruise Ship visiting on the same day and us QM2 passengers can say to the passengers of the other Cruise Ships that our ship the QM2 is the best looking ship in port and that the QM2 is a real Ocean Liner. Some Cruise Ships not all to be honest are ugly looking.

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

13 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There's a version of this next July. I'm doing the 14 days, Southampton, Norway, Iceland, transatlantic (with a stop in Halifax). There may be an EB TA before the 14-day voyage. 

I am on that too with the crossing back to Southampton from NY.

Only one port in Iceland and its not going into the longer fjord port (Geiranger, Flam). 

5 minutes ago, Planning to cruise said:

Only one port in Iceland and its not going into the longer fjord port (Geiranger, Flam). 

Is it still allowed into those fjords?

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Possibly not, I dont know.  

QM2s size and any port limitations would be something for the OP to consider and investigate when deciding on a  TA v port to port or a combined journey.  Only QM2 offers the latter.  

If you want to experience QM2 at her best, I'd always go for a trans-Atlantic. I find the service to be more settled, and you have time to get into the ship's routine and really explore her.

And it gives you an excuse to come back and do a Norwegian cruise on Victoria or Annie!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Planning to cruise said:

Two ports in Iceland, Isafjordur and Reykjavik. 

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I thought I read somewhere that the restrictions are a few years away. I am so happy I got to see those fjords before so many ships sailed them. I do see Norway's point in limiting access. I have a lovely picture of QE2 in Geirangerfjord, taken from an overlook point. But I wince when I see the smoke she produced.

We have a stop in Stavanger, which has become overrun with mega ships. I hear that some ships now have to dock at a nearby location. So far, my cruise still says Stavanger, and I hope it stays that way. 

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Two ports in Iceland, Isafjordur and Reykjavik. 

I thought I read somewhere that the restrictions are a few years away. I am so happy I got to see those fjords before so many ships sailed them. I do see Norway's point in limiting access. I have a lovely picture of QE2 in Geirangerfjord, taken from an overlook point. But I wince when I see the smoke she produced.

We have a stop in Stavanger, which has become overrun with mega ships. I hear that some ships now have to dock at a nearby location. So far, my cruise still says Stavanger, and I hope it stays that way. 

I have a picture of QE2 from near the canning museum. It looks as if she is trying to hide herself among the houses and alleys of the old town. Of course her funnel give her away.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I have a picture of QE2 from near the canning museum. It looks as if she is trying to hide herself among the houses and alleys of the old town. Of course her funnel give her away.

Now, sadly, the ships are too big to be hidden there. They overwhelm the view. Such a shame because the old town is charming. We loved the canning museum!  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have one like that too.

On our numerous Stavanger calls we have always docked by the Gamle Stan. Old Town.  This year we were further down by the new concert hall, still accessible enough.  I note that some ships have to use moorings by the Oil Museum.  When we were there a private yacht was docked in the harbour also.  A massive thing, more like a small cruise ship, the type more usually seen around the South of France.  It took up a stretch of waterfront opposite the Old Town.  

The Canning Museum, by the way, is no more.  The smaller basic shed with only the exhibits about the fishing industry has been absorbed into a larger more modern building that portrays industrial history generally.  We stuck our heads in to see what it was like but did not visit.  

• Thanks 1

First comment is that we love Princess Grill class and find it a much better buy than Queens Grill, which is usually much more expensive with not much more offered.

As far as a TA versus a port intensive cruise, you need to ask yourself what kind of holiday you are looking for.  A TA is an experience on board a ship.  A port-intensive trip is an emphasis on what you will see in the ports, and you will have less time on the ship.  And note that the QM2 is a huge ship, so docking (tenders versus in port) and crowds pose issues in ports.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 6:59 PM, Codakrome said:

Would you recommend a transatlantic over a port to port on the Queen Mary 2?  They both have two formal nights I see.  Are the on board activities less on a multi-port cruise? 

We are on board QM2 now on a 30 day voyage RT from NY. We enjoyed the eastbound transatlantic more than the British Isles portion we are on now. Our experience says to us that QM2 is set up to be transatlantic transportation. We opted out of our first shore experience in Queensferry because the tendering operation frightened us. We found out later that inexperienced crew were operating tender boats...which explains why we watched one tender take 13 tries to dock on return to the ship. 

Yes, daytime onboard activities are less on port days. We have also experienced less activities on sea days. The transatlantic schedule was packed with activities.

1 hour ago, RK-NC said:

We are on board QM2 now on a 30 day voyage RT from NY. We enjoyed the eastbound transatlantic more than the British Isles portion we are on now. Our experience says to us that QM2 is set up to be transatlantic transportation. We opted out of our first shore experience in Queensferry because the tendering operation frightened us. We found out later that inexperienced crew were operating tender boats...which explains why we watched one tender take 13 tries to dock on return to the ship. 

I suspect that this could be a wider issue than just QM2.  When I watched Queen Victoria tendering to Newhaven, Edinburgh in May 2023, it stood out just how poor the tender drivers were at docking in the harbour in a breeze.  When the local boat that was also being used as a tender arrived, the difference in ability was glaring.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 12:59 PM, Codakrome said:

We specifically want to travel on the Queen Mary 2, but are now considering the Norwegian fjords trip she does in early April instead of the transatlantic.

Codakrome,

Despite the commonality of the ship, the QM2, these really are two different experiences. I've always found that the toughest decisions are those where you have two GREAT choices. However, on a transatlantic you will meet many many passengers for whom this is their second, fifth, tenth plus Crossing. There is a reason for that. Of course I'm a bit biased as we are currently planning our fifth Crossing. 

Jack

8 hours ago, tv24 said:

First comment is that we love Princess Grill class and find it a much better buy than Queens Grill, which is usually much more expensive with not much more offered.

As far as a TA versus a port intensive cruise, you need to ask yourself what kind of holiday you are looking for.  A TA is an experience on board a ship.  A port-intensive trip is an emphasis on what you will see in the ports, and you will have less time on the ship.  And note that the QM2 is a huge ship, so docking (tenders versus in port) and crowds pose issues in ports.

You will not have to spend less time on the ship. Nobody makes you get off, and indeed when visiting the fjords it is hardly necessary, as you can see so much from the ship as it goes up and down the fjords. I always enjoy the ship greatly when it is almost empty, as so many have got off, and nothing is happening.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RK-NC said:

We opted out of our first shore experience in Queensferry because the tendering operation frightened us. We found out later that inexperienced crew were operating tender boats...which explains why we watched one tender take 13 tries to dock on return to the ship. 

We're also on board QM2 at the moment.  We were about to board the tender at South Queensferry when they suspended operations, & we saw people leave the queue due to safety concerns.  Once the ship had been manoeuvred to allow for boarding in calmer waters, we were on the first tender out when they re-started operations, and the journey to shore was fine (in tender terms).  From what we saw, if our tender operator was inexperienced, there was also a senior tender operator guiding & working with him.     

We were fortunate enough to return on the local tender boat and had no issues getting back on board.  

We thought Cunard handled the operation very well, particularly given how tricky the waters were when the tenders first started operating. 

• Like 1

After reading all of these, I am really leaning toward staying with the transatlantic (in Princess).   Especially after hearing that the fjord restrictions are pushed back to 2032.  That was one of my concerns for doing the fjords cruise now.  I would prefer to do that cruise on a much smaller ship, too.   Thank you all for your insights, lovely to know there are repeat cruisers on the TAs.  They must be doing something right!

1 hour ago, missson1967 said:

We're also on board QM2 at the moment.  We were about to board the tender at South Queensferry when they suspended operations, & we saw people leave the queue due to safety concerns.  Once the ship had been manoeuvred to allow for boarding in calmer waters, we were on the first tender out when they re-started operations, and the journey to shore was fine (in tender terms).  From what we saw, if our tender operator was inexperienced, there was also a senior tender operator guiding & working with him.     

We were fortunate enough to return on the local tender boat and had no issues getting back on board.  

We thought Cunard handled the operation very well, particularly given how tricky the waters were when the tenders first started operating. 

Is South Queensferry often difficult for tenders? They had to suspend tendering on QA in May for about an hour because it was too rough. They used only the hired local boats.

My tour was cancelled because the tickets for the royal yacht Britannia were times, and the suspension put us too far behind to make our time. It was pouring rain, and as much as I was sorry to miss seeing the ship, I wasn't looking forward to being wet and sitting in a coach, dripping on my seat.