What happens to the Star's Crew?

cactusrose

I think a couple of people posted that the crew were being sent home, even while the ship was still in Jamaica. I was very saddened to hear this, as this means a total loss of income until they can either get another contract or rejoin the Star. For their sakes, I hope she really is ready to go on May 15.

It was fairly painless for us to rebook something on April 30 - just a few hours on the phone is all it took. They're the ones who are really suffering here. Such a shame.

I kind of figured that's what would happen. It's sad. Many of them risked their lives and really went above and beyond their job descriptions in this tragedy. You would think they would be rewarded ... but no, instead they are sent home and will lose a couple of months' income.

I only hope Princess took care of them ... with free air tickets and some severence money to tide them over until they can be recalled for service again. Of course, it is only logical to send them home. What else can they do with all those people? They couldn't reroute them to other ships ... not the whole crew ... there wouldn't be enough openings, berths, etc. So, home they go. Just hopefully they went home with a little something extra in their pockets.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Things may have changed over the last 10 years but I would asumme all crew members in the hotel department were offered vacation time. Espescially those who are almost at the end of their contracts anyway. However since smoke has a really nasty way of getting in to all nooks and crannies just about everything is going to have to be washed down or out so there is lots of work to do. I would assume that at least the housekeeping crew would be staying.

Just imagine every single curtain, bedspred, bedskirting etc has to be washed or dry cleaned. Every carpet and chair needs to be treated . Every wall or other surface needs to be washed down - oh what a dreadful job!! That is a formidable job for around 6 -8 weeks

Although I understand that around 100 cabins were affected by the fire, like you said the smell of smoke gets in everywhere. Whereas I can imagine that the crew who were very near to the end of their contracts will be sent home early, the majority will stay on board and remain in Germany where the refit will take place. After doing several drydocks myself every hand possible will be needed before and during the cleanup process.

I also want to take this opportunity to express my thoughts about the Star Princess crew, YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB you are all a real asset to Princess Cruises and I sincerely hope that your bravery will be taken into consideration at the highest level :)

I kind of figured that's what would happen. It's sad. Many of them risked their lives and really went above and beyond their job descriptions in this tragedy. You would think they would be rewarded ... but no, instead they are sent home and will lose a couple of months' income.

I only hope Princess took care of them ... with free air tickets and some severence money to tide them over until they can be recalled for service again. Of course, it is only logical to send them home. What else can they do with all those people? They couldn't reroute them to other ships ... not the whole crew ... there wouldn't be enough openings, berths, etc. So, home they go. Just hopefully they went home with a little something extra in their pockets.

Blue skies ...

--rita

So home they go, not! Princess will use most of the crew members as support staff, while the re- furbishment work goes on. And it's already srarted, the demolition work is going on right now! And everyone who is helping out is not working for tip wages. If you think they aren't, who are they going to have in May, when this grand Ship will sail again? Some crew members probably were released, with severance, if they had 2 or 3 weeks to go, on their contracts. But they will be back to make sure the Stars next cruise is free of bumps. Princess doesn't want to re-hire 900+ crew members in May. Lot's of work to do with no employees is not an option. Metrowon

Things may have changed over the last 10 years but I would asumme all crew members in the hotel department were offered vacation time. Espescially those who are almost at the end of their contracts anyway. However since smoke has a really nasty way of getting in to all nooks and crannies just about everything is going to have to be washed down or out so there is lots of work to do. I would assume that at least the housekeeping crew would be staying.

Just imagine every single curtain, bedspred, bedskirting etc has to be washed or dry cleaned. Every carpet and chair needs to be treated . Every wall or other surface needs to be washed down - oh what a dreadful job!! That is a formidable job for around 6 -8 weeks

Don't assume anything about employees being sent home. Assume this entire ship is a mess, and all hands will be needed for support and restoration, and not at tip wages. The work has started. This captain is not waiting around for other people to straighten out this mess. This thread needs to know that this ship was severly damaged, and it's all hands on deck, NOT ALL HANDS SENT HOME! Until their Ship can cruise again, the crew members will work to get it back in service! Metrowon

Although I understand that around 100 cabins were affected by the fire, like you said the smell of smoke gets in everywhere. Whereas I can imagine that the crew who were very near to the end of their contracts will be sent home early, the majority will stay on board and remain in Germany where the refit will take place. After doing several drydocks myself every hand possible will be needed before and during the cleanup process.

I also want to take this opportunity to express my thoughts about the Star Princess crew, YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB you are all a real asset to Princess Cruises and I sincerely hope that your bravery will be taken into consideration at the highest level :)

Thanks for supporting my knowledge of a restoration project, these crew members are working right now to get this ship ready again. They all weren't sent home, without any money. They are being re-trained and let know what needs to be done, starting now. Contracts for shipboard members have provisions for this type of work. To think that nothing is being done while this $500 million ship is just going across the ocean is just a lack of knowledge for those who don't know better. Metrowon

I think the breakdown works like this:

For example, auto tipping is $10.00 per day per person. Out of this, $3.50 per day goes to the cabin steward. This would be $7.00 per day per cabin w/2 people or $49.00 per week.

We were on the Caribe deck the time of the fire. Ricky, our cabin steward, said he had 23 cabins to tend to. 23 cabins X $49.00 per week = $1,127.00 per week. Not too bad.

Granted, there are always some that remove the auto tipping, but there are many that tip extra in the beginning and end of the week, so I'm sure it's at least a wash.

Still, they work their tails off to please all of us. It is sad to hear stories of their families, especially the ones with small children that don't get to see mom or dad for ten months at a time.

Even at $1,127.00 per week, the trade off can still pull on your heart strings.

I would love to see all of their work ethics practiced a little more in this country.

Does anyone know when the ship will get to Germany?

Star Princess left Freeport in the Bahamas yesterday (March 30th) and is now en-route across the Atlantic to Bremerhaven in Germany. She already has many contractors working on her as she makes the crossing. Still not sure when she is due to arrive though.

Lollipop has valid points.

The crew that are coming to the end of their contract will be sent home on unpaid leave, a major financial blow to those who are working onboard to support their families at home.

The rest of the crew from all depts will be scrubbing the ship from top to bottom while contractors carry out repairs.

The major structual work will take place once the ship arrives in Germany however all the crew will be working hard during the Atlantic crossing.

During this time the crew will only receive basic wage but may be "rewarded" with a couple of days off this month while the clean up takes place.

Dry dock or wet dock refits are always extremely hard work for all depts, however this excellent crew have the added emotional stress to contend with after dealing with this emergency situation.

This crew should receive a major reward from Princess, lets hope all their hard work gets the recognition they deserve

Based on our info, the entire $3.50 does not go to the cabin steward. For example, at the end of each sailing there is staff to thoroughly clean the cabin. There are also other behind the scene staff that support the cabin crew. Any one else with info they may have about this? /Sultan

[quote name=ISLAND MAN...Out of this, $3.50 per day goes to the cabin steward. This would be $7.00 per day per cabin w/2 people or $49.00 per week.

Even at $1,127.00 per week, the trade off can still pull on your heart strings.

I would love to see all of their work ethics practiced a little more in this country.[/quote]

As one who has been posted to several third world countries and since almost all of the cruise lines support staff come from these countries, I believe you have to put their earnings into their home country context rather than making comparisons to first world earnings.

The support staff members with whom I have spoken believe their earnings allow them and their families to live much better than most of their counterparts at home. In fact many are able to built nice houses, send their kids to the better schools, and with their savings invest in their future.

It is a mistake to compare unlike economies. $1500 to $2500 is a whole lot of money in many countries where many live on $1-$2 a day.

Sultan_SFO is absolutely correct. The $3.50 is pooled and many hands dip in to the pool. They would include the people who wash your towels and bed sheets, the people who sort your trash in the trash room, the people who fill the chemical bottles used to clean your cabin and probably the stewards supervisor. Who knows how many others.

As one who has been posted to several third world countries and since almost all of the cruise lines support staff come from these countries, I believe you have to put their earnings into their home country context rather than making comparisons to first world earnings.

The support staff members with whom I have spoken believe their earnings allow them and their families to live much better than most of their counterparts at home. In fact many are able to built nice houses, send their kids to the better schools, and with their savings invest in their future.

It is a mistake to compare unlike economies. $1500 to $2500 is a whole lot of money in many countries where many live on $1-$2 a day.

Yes, I have also lived in several developing countries. The one I lived in that is represented in greatest numbers on cruise ships is the Philipppines. That country supplies labor to many countries, not just the cruise ship industry,. Filipino men and women work abroad and repatriate much of what they earn to help family members. They make a great personal sacrifice because they are a very family oriented society. The money doesn't seem much compared to US income, but it does help Filipinos better themsleves.

That said, I wonder why they do choose cruiseships. If Filipinos come to the US to work in the medical industry, an area in which they are also heavily represented, they earn far more than they ever could on a cruiseship. In fact, they get paid full US wages just like anyone else in medicine.

No argument here, but isn't that what everyone wants? A better life for their families? We all grow into our income and I think it would also hurt any of us to loose that income for a period of time.

I have several dear friends currently working onthe Star Princess.

Many crew who were close to their contract end were sent home early. Many were sent to other ships. Remember that each ship has its rotation for crew.

Right now they have the Dining Crew down to a staff of 60 onboard.

They will be paid during this time. They do have special jobs that they are assigned to do.

The crossing over to Germany is expected to take 10 days.

May 15 is the date set to return to start the Baltic season from Copenhagen.

Archived