Cabin Assignment for GTYs

cruise101

3 minutes ago, cotto22 said:

Well, we have a GTY also, and I don't see a Booking Summary on the list of items under the "hamburger". I tried with two browsers. This is an ocean cruise. Could that be the difference?

The booking summary link does appear on the Ocean cruise MVJ site. Just scroll all the way down on the hamburger menu & you will see it right at the end - I think it is the second last item on that drop down menu.

2 hours ago, cruise101 said:

The booking summary link does appear on the Ocean cruise MVJ site. Just scroll all the way down on the hamburger menu & you will see it right at the end - I think it is the second last item on that drop down menu.

On some browsers the drop down list gets truncated. I had to adjust my font to see it.

I have booked gty on many cruise lines, not Viking.   It’s a bet.  Sometimes you get an upgrade. Sometimes you get the cabin category that you booked. No telling when or where you will get a cabin assigned. I have also had a cabin asssigned and changed 3 times.  You have no say.  You should only book gty if you can save substantial money. Never book a category below what is acceptable. I have been lucky booking gty. I have had some nice upgrades. Never really had a bad cabin or location.   On Viking, booking a gty usually doesn’t save you much. As I have aged,  cabin location and size has become more important. On Viking, we book a specific cabin.  If you like to gamble, book gty.  You may get lucky. 

On out last cruise we found out that we got upgraded when we checked in. Wonderful!

However, the luggage tags had the pre-upgrade cabin number. Hours later they were finally located at the point where they get scanned prior to being loaded on the ship. Once we were reunited we had a wonderful cruise.  

Just to be clear, for me I have both River and Ocean cruises booked now and both have "Booking Summary" in MVJ.

This is where we saw our cabin assignment a day or two before Viking notified us.

Oh, and for the record, we experienced zero savings booking the GTY cabin.  The price on the site for the cabin we wanted did not reduce when we found out that we only had a GTY cabin offered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1