Possible Pilots strike (Cruise ships)

We are with Fred. Olsen any other cruise lines had this post? 

Also strikes planned for November 

We have been advised by the local authorities in Portugal that there is to be Portuguese pilot strikes on three dates in September. A cruise ship must have a local pilot onboard in order to meet maritime requirements and for the vessel to be permitted to dock safely. Should the strikes go ahead as planned, it will affect the cruise itinerary, impacting the calls into the Azores and Leixões.

The first strike is planned between 16th to 18th September, with the second on 23rd to 25th September and the third on 30th September to 2nd October. There is a possibility that the strikes may be called off in which case your cruise itinerary will not be affected.

Yeap, our Canaries and Madeira cruise on the 20th Sept is affected.

All our three Canaries stops and Madeira have been moved around to different days, some with less time, some with more.

We were meant to be in Madeira on day 5, now day 8, which means our planned meet up with good friends on the island won't happen as they will be on their way back to UK on day 8

But at least we aren't missing any stops 

• Like 1

If the pilot and tug boat strikes go ahead for the 20th September 2024 cruise to the Portugese Islands then you may have a problem with your travel insurance.  My travel agent advised of the possible strikes but did not suggest I check my insurance they provided.  Feel they should have advised me and anyone else!   My insurance did not cover SPAIN which is the alternative destination for part of the trip.

So peeps best check and ring up your insurers and add Spain in case the detour is on.

Also every single excursion booked is now void as the days are wrong if the strike proceeds.  After persuading my travel agent to ring Fred Olsen it appears they will be refunded - which is not good - they should have provisionally made arrangement to move the days excursions if the strike proceeds.  It's just admin folks.   Ergo that saves 1600 peeps charging around looking for something to do in each port or waiting at the excursion desk to book new tickets once on board - they will not be happy people.