River Cruises

babs135

Don't laugh, but one of the reasons we've never done a river cruise is because the ships look very close to the water and I'm frightened of the water!  Ocean cruising suits me much better.  However we'd quite like to try such a cruise but don't know where to start. Which company, which region, etc.

I know there is a dedicated forum on CC, but before venturing over there I'd be grateful for any advice you can give.

Especially interested in how prices compare between ocean and river cruising.  We're quite happy in an inside cabin on ocean going ships.

We did our first river cruise last autumn, Oct '23. I researched extensively looking at cost pp/nt and settled on Emerald Cruises, owned by Scenic and their lower priced brand! We did the Sensations of Lyon & Provence, 7 nights, from Lyon to Marseille, booked through our local TA after researching. Flights, transfers, gratuities and excursions included; there are some extra paid for excursions but we were more than happy with the included trips. Most of the brands that I looked at had a similar layout of decks, ie. three - lower deck at water level with a ceiling level window, mid deck with balcony / infinite veranda style and upper deck with balcony and some larger suites. We sailed mid deck. Food was excellent... buffet style breakfast and lunch with waiter service for dinner. One main restaurant with lighter meals /snacks at lunch in the upper bar area. We had a fantastic time on our cruise and loved all the ports we visited. Booked on another river cruise with Viking for next December, Christmas on the Rhine, Amsterdam to Basel.

• Like 1