Honolulu beach

Star1

I will be in Honolulu on December 26th docking at Pier 10, Princess Ruby ship. We are interested in taking the bus to Ala Moana Beach or Waikiki Beach. We are in port from 7AM-11 PM. We love the beach and could spend all day depending on the weather. We will get lunch on the beach. Can someone tell me what bus to get and where to catch it. Where should we have lunch? Is it safe to walk to Ala Moana Beach? We are here till 11pm. Can we walk around to see Christmas lights? Where should we walk for the lights? Thank you for any advice you can share.

50 minutes ago, Star1 said:

e are interested in taking the bus to Ala Moana Beach or Waikiki Beach.

Waikiki is the way to go here-- WAY more to see/do/eat for visitors and a much nicer beach than Ala Moana. There are bus stops along Ala Moana Blvd right outside the port that head to Waikiki. It's also a very short and inexpensive Uber ride which will most likely be a lot faster. 

52 minutes ago, Star1 said:

Where should we have lunch?

Tons of options for lunch along Waikiki. Mai Tai Bar at The Royal Hawaiian is a favorite spot. Duke's Waikiki is a very popular casual spot overlooking the beach. There are options at the Moana Surfrider. Even more casual options just a block or two off the beach. 

For drinks later in the day it's hard to beat House Without a Key at the Halekulani Hotel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Star1 said:

I will be in Honolulu on December 26th docking at Pier 10, Princess Ruby ship. We are interested in taking the bus to Ala Moana Beach or Waikiki Beach.

Haven't been to Ala Moana, but as @princeton123211 says Waikiki is the place where everything is. When you get back home and tell people about your trip everyone knows Waikiki, I never heard of Ala Moana until I started planning our trip.

We took the bus a couple of times, but we were there for 5 days, so we had the luxury of time on our side. With just a day stop, you might want to maximize the time as much as you can, plus its a public bus, it ain't Disney Word, if you know what I mean.

I love Ala Moana Beach, but it is just a beach park, There are no restaurants there. Waikiki Beach is just one of several beaches in Waikiki, the others being Kuhio Beach (Hyatt Regency to Park Shore), Gray's Beach (Halekulani), Fort DeRussy Beach (Outrigger Reef & Hale Koa) and Kahanamoku Beach (HHV). Any of those are better because of eating and drinking spots nearby.

• Like 1

@Star1  I agree that one of the beaches mentioned by @KeepCalmBearOn are the best for a day at the beach where you can enjoy the beach and food.  My suggestion would be to contact one of the beach services companies offering beach set ups for rent.  Having a reservation will make it possible for you to enjoy a great day, cost is @$90 for the day.  If you google chair and umbrella rentals on Waikiki you will find several companies and go to their website to check availability and locations.  December 26 is a very busy day in Waikiki so a beach set up and dinner reservations would be my recommendation.  My favorite for lunch take out is Duke's!

You can walk around to see the Christmas lights.  The big displays are in the historic Honolulu downtown area near the Iolani Palace and Hawaii State Capitol building.  Many families walk around this area to see the lights.  There are also trolley rides.  You can check out www.honolulucitylights.org for details.  Have a great time, Cherie 

On 9/10/2024 at 2:16 PM, princeton123211 said:

Waikiki is the way to go here-- WAY more to see/do/eat for visitors and a much nicer beach than Ala Moana. There are bus stops along Ala Moana Blvd right outside the port that head to Waikiki. It's also a very short and inexpensive Uber ride which will most likely be a lot faster. 

Tons of options for lunch along Waikiki. Mai Tai Bar at The Royal Hawaiian is a favorite spot. Duke's Waikiki is a very popular casual spot overlooking the beach. There are options at the Moana Surfrider. Even more casual options just a block or two off the beach. 

For drinks later in the day it's hard to beat House Without a Key at the Halekulani Hotel. 

Princeton 123211 is so right on. We just stayed at the Royal Hawaiian and you can’t beat the Mai Tai bar for lunch and the Waikiki beach vibe. You can reserve beach chair and umbrella sets online which I advise if you are spending the day there. Gives you freedom to walk around and swim and enjoy beach. Uber is easy from port to beach and back. Waikiki is busy and fun and you can’t beat the vibe! 🌴😎

Edited by philv
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, philv said:

Princeton 123211 is so right on. We just stayed at the Royal Hawaiian and you can’t beat the Mai Tai bar for lunch and the Waikiki beach vibe. You can reserve beach chair and umbrella sets online which I advise if you are spending the day there. Gives you freedom to walk around and swim and enjoy beach. Uber is easy from port to beach and back. Waikiki is busy and fun and you can’t beat the vibe! 🌴😎

They also mention The House Without A Key and here is why I prefer HWAK.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/c6vk4U27fydtMuAz9

That is the view. You look down the full sweep of Waikiki Bay to Diamond Head.

You can still rent a beach chair and umbrella set at the Royal.

If you are not staying at the Royal Hawaiian you can rent a beach set up at several locations on the beaches considered "Waikiki" as indicated in post #4.  The beach set up rentals are @$90 a day, more than the rate for guests at the Royal Hawaiian.   Waikiki is magical and an amazing experience if you are not fighting for sand space and have planned for a great day.  Earl's location at House Without a Key is awesome for sunset and cocktails, you might contact them to see if they take reservations.  I'm not sure if they do.   Otherwise there are other  awesome locations on Waikiki for sunset and cocktails.   JMO. Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 2

I am having a hard time finding umbrella and chairs to rent. All sites say no online rentals for the month of December. I will try calling Royal this week. Any other suggestions on where to rent. I would like to get it booked this week. Thanks everyone. We are looking forward to a beach day and lunch at Dukes.

1 hour ago, Star1 said:

I am having a hard time finding umbrella and chairs to rent. All sites say no online rentals for the month of December. I will try calling Royal this week. Any other suggestions on where to rent. I would like to get it booked this week. Thanks everyone. We are looking forward to a beach day and lunch at Dukes.

I suggest calling 808-388-1510 for the beach set up.  December is a really popular time.  If they can not help you please post back.  Also, there are companies that will deliver chairs and umbrella to you wherever you want and that can be a nice option because you do not have to give them up at 5 or 6pm.  Also, I suggest making a reservation for Duke's at lunch or dinner.  As I have said before...you cannot always make a reservation but you can cancel a reservation.   And, have you contacted Aloha Beach Services at 808-9223111 that have the beach set ups in front of the Outrigger?   Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Star1 said:

I will try calling Royal this week.

Also keep in mind that the beach setups in front of the Royal Hawaiian (and managed by Waikiki Beach Services through their website) are only for registered guests of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. You need to provide a confirmation number for your room in order to book and they will cancel a reservation without a matching room confirmation number. 

• Like 1

However if you call the number that manages the beach set ups at the Royal Hawaiian, WBS, 808-308-1510, they can reserve beach set ups for you as a non guest. It is just a different rate and not behind the ropes.  If you are on a cruise ship do your research and find the best price for your dates.  JMO. Cherie  

• Like 1