Rome May 2025

joestein514

We will be stopping in Rome in late May 2025.   I know the Jubilee will be going on and that they are expecting 20 million religious pilgrims to visit Rome that month.

RCL has 2 Rome excursions which are sold out.

A few questions:

- DO you think they will add more excursions to Rome or add additional capacity?

- What reliable private tour companies can I use? Does anybody have suggestions?

- Does it even make sense to try to visit Rome at that time, due to the Jubilee.   We have never been to Rome or Italy before.

- There is an excursion by RCL to Marmare Falls at the Rome Port.  Does anybody know anything about the falls or the excursion?

Thanks for your help!

Joe

It would be a shame to be in Italy, so close to Rome, and not experience even a little bit of it.

It will be crowded, but it's usually crowded.  The key is to set your expectations appropriately, pick one or two key sites that are important for you to see, then fill in with whatever else time will allow.

I would post on the roll call for your sailing and see if you can find another couple to share the expense of a private car service to the city and back.  Or, if you're more adventurous, you can take the train.

On 9/10/2024 at 7:03 PM, joestein514 said:

Does it even make sense to try to visit Rome at that time, due to the Jubilee.   We have never been to Rome or Italy before.

As @euro cruiser says, it never doesn't make sense not to visit Rome. (Just tried to re-read that sentence. What I'm trying to say is "go ahead and visit".)

However, we are just back from an Italy tour and all of the guides agreed: 2025 will be a zoo, so plan early. And they think 2026 will be over-crowded as well (but not as bad), since many people with options will postpone their visits.

I'm on voyager in late may, 2nd leg ends in rome. I too hear it's going to be a zoo. I booked excursions and 4 nights in a hotel and then I decided to fly back to miami. Yes I have read miami will be terrible for customs. Royal wanted starting price for 1 rome to orlando $1510. That's why.

But I will be in rome thru royal myself. I would say do your best.

The excursion port we have that sold out before I even saw them was athens. We stop in 2 ports in greece and athens excursions sold poof. One single spot popped back up and I grabbed it, luckily I'm solo. It's not the best one, but we see acropolis from a viewing platform. If a better choice comes up I'll change but I want to stay with a group my first time. I booked to see greece tbh.. it's just happenstance it ends in rome. Rome was not on my bucket list... more I end there so might as well try and see it. Wrong timing for my first TA ... I plan to make the best of it. People think I'm crazy to go alone. Its that or stay home.