How is the cost of a cruise calculated?

Presto2

Sadly we are having to transfer our cruise for January 2025 to another cruise.

We know that the cruise we move to has to be of the same or more in terms of cost so are trying to find out how our current cruise is costed.

We have paid about £5k for the cruise itself and over £1k for the premium flights.

We are wondering if the seats class as an optional extra in the same way that the drinks package does. I.e. does the cruise cost come out as 5k or 6k? 

Thanks if anyone has experience of this sort of transfer. 

We did have experience of this, for a repositioning cruise in March this year.  When I enquired about cancelling and changing to another cruise, I was told that it was the cruise value only, with the basic flights included, that was the figure they worked on; the premium seats we paid extra for were classed as an additional payment.

In the end, we couldn't find another cruise that suited us. However, I argued that we were disadvantaged due to our flight being changed to Maleth Aero, with no PE cabin, and they refunded our deposit.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TigerB said:

One other thing, which you will probably already know, @Presto2; you can't change to a saver fare, it has to remain as a select fare.

Many thanks for your help. Makes it easier as the cruises we were looking at were all lower than the 6k.

Just another question... does the new cruise have to been within 12 months of the old one ?

55 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Many thanks for your help. Makes it easier as the cruises we were looking at were all lower than the 6k.

Just another question... does the new cruise have to been within 12 months of the old one ?

IMG_1951.thumb.png.df9921c4969e8a581a151156f1803a6c.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

IMG_1951.thumb.png.df9921c4969e8a581a151156f1803a6c.png

That's interesting! When I called last year to discuss our March cruise I thought the new cruise had to be a select fare, and the CSA confirmed that to be so.  However, the written information above makes no mention of it having to be a select fare.

17 minutes ago, TigerB said:

That's interesting! When I called last year to discuss our March cruise I thought the new cruise had to be a select fare, and the CSA confirmed that to be so.  However, the written information above makes no mention of it having to be a select fare.

It says Select in the first paragraph 

That information is.much appreciated.  We too are about to cancel or move our Britannia Caribbean cruise due December this year.  Our balance is very close to being due and I was intending to call later this week.

My booking is an intriguing one: select fare with premium economy, drinks package with the then 20% offer deducted, paid for drinks upgrade to deluxe, prepaid WiFi and £500FCC gifted to us.  Wonder what they'll make of that lot!!

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That information is.much appreciated.  We too are about to cancel or move our Britannia Caribbean cruise due December this year.  Our balance is very close to being due and I was intending to call later this week.

My booking is an intriguing one: select fare with premium economy, drinks package with the then 20% offer deducted, paid for drinks upgrade to deluxe, prepaid WiFi and £500FCC gifted to us.  Wonder what they'll make of that lot!!

We've purchased all of our excursions too so will be cancelling them before we cancel the whole thing to make sure we get the money back. We probably would anyway but prefer to sort them out.

Your package above looks very complicated! Let us know how you go on.

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We've purchased all of our excursions too so will be cancelling them before we cancel the whole thing to make sure we get the money back. We probably would anyway but prefer to sort them out.

Your package above looks very complicated! Let us know how you go on.

A good idea to do that. I can cancel the WiFi myself at least, and perhaps the drinks extension.

My problem will I'm sure multiply as we haven't really got a desire to move to something else.  I'm going to try to book for one person (me) for an upgraded cabin on something.  

Just come back of Aurora and although we enjoyed it we felt the experience even from January to now had deteriorated enough we didn't feel it was worth £7500 for the next one on Britannia - just short of £6,000 for the cabin/cruise as its Christmas, £1,100 flight upgrade, plus the drinks extension etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It says Select in the first paragraph 

You appear to have misread my post.

I am well aware that the cruise to transfer from has to be a select fare. 

What I wrote was that I thought 'the new cruise had to be a select fare', and the written information 'makes no mention of it having to be a select fare.'

35 minutes ago, TigerB said:

You appear to have misread my post.

I am well aware that the cruise to transfer from has to be a select fare. 

What I wrote was that I thought 'the new cruise had to be a select fare', and the written information 'makes no mention of it having to be a select fare.'

Tbh I just thought it had to of equal or greater value so of it was Saver or select, it didn't matter. I'm not expert though as this post shows .