Sydney airport hotel: Rydges or Holiday Inn (original)

Hi, hi! I'm in need of advice for our one-night pre-cruise stay at the Sydney airport. We're flying in from Brisbane (BNE) on Nov. 30 for a cruise departing on Dec. 1. Currently, it's a toss up between Rydges Hotel and the Holiday Inn (non-Express). Do any locals or experienced travellers know which hotel is both closest (as in within a short walking distance) to the domestic terminal and public transport (e.g. train station or buses) into the CBD? We have a performance to attend at the Sydney Opera House on the night of Nov. 30. Any insights would be much appreciated! 

54 minutes ago, ilovefriday said:

Hi, hi! I'm in need of advice for our one-night pre-cruise stay at the Sydney airport. We're flying in from Brisbane (BNE) on Nov. 30 for a cruise departing on Dec. 1. Currently, it's a toss up between Rydges Hotel and the Holiday Inn (non-Express). Do any locals or experienced travellers know which hotel is both closest (as in within a short walking distance) to the domestic terminal and public transport (e.g. train station or buses) into the CBD? We have a performance to attend at the Sydney Opera House on the night of Nov. 30. Any insights would be much appreciated! 

Why would you wish to stay at the airport?

I am guessing the Celebrity Edge which will be docked at the OPT in Circular Quay which is basically where the Opera House is (5 minutes walk).

I would be looking to stay at a hotel at Circular Quay or the Rocks. At the very least, in the city near the light rail

• Like 1

Echoing @yarramar, why would you want to stay at the airport?  You can catch the transport (I forget if is called a tram or train or metro) straight from the airport to Circular Quay, and find a hotel in the CBD.  FWIW I have stayed at the Rydges in The Rocks back when it was a Holiday Inn.  That location is very good with loads of shopping, restaurants, and cruise port all within walking distance.  Same goes for getting to the Sydney Opera House.  All easily walkable, and a great location. 

Edited by dreams_of_travel
formating issues

Old HI at Sydney Airport is a long and difficult walk. Rydges is much easier to get to, although it’s quickest to take the train one stop from domestic to international where Rydges is. But it’s also a very quick train ride to the CBD so I’d stay there. I like the QT in Market Street but it’s quirky and not to everyone’s taste. 

Thanks for all the valuable input so far! Much appreciated. The reason that we are considering airport hotels instead of those located within the CBD or the Rocks is the cost. We're trying to save a few pennies on our accommodations so that we can splurge on activities such as musical and concert tickets during our holiday. The extra exercise opportunities will also allow us to indulge to our hearts' content during the cruise. Lol. 

Forgot to mention that we're looking for an airport hotel closest to both the domestic terminal (i.e. terminal 3) and the train station. I understand that the Rydges Hotel is located closer to the international terminal? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

There is a train station at both domestic and international terminals - the train runs under the terminals. Or do you mean a non airport train station but closer to the domestic terminal?

If you mean the airport stations, do you know the cost of using the train from them is quite expensive? 

The cost of a one-way ticket is around $20. I am not sure if there is a daily or weekly cap on fares. 

6 hours ago, ilovefriday said:

Thanks for all the valuable input so far! Much appreciated. The reason that we are considering airport hotels instead of those located within the CBD or the Rocks is the cost. We're trying to save a few pennies on our accommodations so that we can splurge on activities such as musical and concert tickets during our holiday. The extra exercise opportunities will also allow us to indulge to our hearts' content during the cruise. Lol. 

I think that staying at the airport to save money is false economy.

There are plenty of hotels closer to the CBD and/or Circular Quay that will not only be more enjoyable and easier but you will not have to take public transport back and forth at additional cost.

Take a look at hotel booking website using the map view and put your budget in to filter the list.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2024 at 11:36 AM, ilovefriday said:

Airport hotels are still quite pricey. And the train is about $20 one way because a private contractor owns the airport stations. An Uber or taxi would likely be double that to the CBD and it isn’t far but traffic makes is sloooow at certain (most) times. 

Rydges is right across the road from the international terminal. 

Also, the old Holiday Inn is closer to Mascot Station, so standard government ticket price. But you’ll need to catch a cab/uber between it and the hotel unless you have minimal luggage and enjoy hiking across and along busy roads.