Prima Iceland to England with seniors

RNCheryl

I am interested in your recommendations for tours that require minimal walking.  We are 3 seniors, no devices needed, but tire easily with long distances.

Not worried about Bruges and Amsterdam, as we have been there and know what to do.  But Iceland and Norway are the places we need assistance.  Date is August next year.

15 minutes ago, RNCheryl said:

I am interested in your recommendations for tours that require minimal walking.  We are 3 seniors, no devices needed, but tire easily with long distances.

Not worried about Bruges and Amsterdam, as we have been there and know what to do.  But Iceland and Norway are the places we need assistance.  Date is August next year.

Which ports in Norway?  A lot of it is quite accessible.  

17 minutes ago, RNCheryl said:

I would post your questions in these 2 cruisecritic forums:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-baltic-sea/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2705-iceland-and-greenland/

Also if you are going to Alesund, Norway which we did when we did that same cruise but in the other direction. We did an easy excursion that explored the art deco architecture of Alesund.

Edited by ontheweb

• 1 month later...

If you are going to Honningsvag, Norway, I recommend the Puffin boat excursion. It is a bus ride from Honningsvag to the dock. The bus ride is comfortable (and beautiful), as long as you can climb a few stairs on to the bus. The boat ride out to the island to see the Puffins and thousands of other birds was relatively calm (of course weather is always a factor). The boat has a seating area on the lower deck so you can watch the birds from inside the boat, and be seated. There is an upper deck with some benches to sit on, but be the first on the boat to get those seats. If you are comfortable, you could walk to the back of the boat (same deck as the lower deck seating area) and sit in an outside covered area (it’s small, can only fit about 3 people, but everyone else was up top and I had it all to myself and got some amazing photos) I saw the excursion has a high activity level. Maybe it’s because the boat ride can get bouncy. Trust your instincts if you think you would be comfortable (or not) on this excursion. 

another excursion while in Iceland is the Godafoss falls from Akureyri port.

It is an easy bus ride that takes you right to the falls. There isn’t much walking to see the falls (you can see them from where the bus is parked) or you could walk along smooth, dirt path to the tip of the falls (it depends on your comfort level). The bus stops at a cute touristy shop and you can walk in there for a quick hot drink or buy a fun souvenir. The falls are beautiful. Like a mini Niagara Falls (I’m told). The excursion ended with a stop at the botanical gardens in Akureyri. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

11 hours ago, CAKEisgood said:

If you are going to Honningsvag, Norway, I recommend the Puffin boat excursion. It is a bus ride from Honningsvag to the dock. The bus ride is comfortable (and beautiful), as long as you can climb a few stairs on to the bus. The boat ride out to the island to see the Puffins and thousands of other birds was relatively calm (of course weather is always a factor). The boat has a seating area on the lower deck so you can watch the birds from inside the boat, and be seated. There is an upper deck with some benches to sit on, but be the first on the boat to get those seats. If you are comfortable, you could walk to the back of the boat (same deck as the lower deck seating area) and sit in an outside covered area (it’s small, can only fit about 3 people, but everyone else was up top and I had it all to myself and got some amazing photos) I saw the excursion has a high activity level. Maybe it’s because the boat ride can get bouncy. Trust your instincts if you think you would be comfortable (or not) on this excursion. 

another excursion while in Iceland is the Godafoss falls from Akureyri port.

It is an easy bus ride that takes you right to the falls. There isn’t much walking to see the falls (you can see them from where the bus is parked) or you could walk along smooth, dirt path to the tip of the falls (it depends on your comfort level). The bus stops at a cute touristy shop and you can walk in there for a quick hot drink or buy a fun souvenir. The falls are beautiful. Like a mini Niagara Falls (I’m told). The excursion ended with a stop at the botanical gardens in Akureyri. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

We did not do that excursion, but did visit that botanical garden. It was impressive. There was a lot of walking, both to get there and within the garden.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

There was a lot of walking, both to get there and within the garden.

Our bus pulled up to the entrance of the garden and walking was minimal, unless I wanted to explore the garden further. Sounds like we were on different tours. Our guide was super nice and helped those on the tour that were challenged with walking over rough surfaces. 

BTW: the garden was beautiful. We went at the end of May this year (2024) and so many flowers were blooming. The garden reminded me of the wildflowers I’d see in the Sierra Nevada mountain mountains. 

1 hour ago, CAKEisgood said:

Our bus pulled up to the entrance of the garden and walking was minimal, unless I wanted to explore the garden further. Sounds like we were on different tours. Our guide was super nice and helped those on the tour that were challenged with walking over rough surfaces. 

BTW: the garden was beautiful. We went at the end of May this year (2024) and so many flowers were blooming. The garden reminded me of the wildflowers I’d see in the Sierra Nevada mountain mountains. 

We actually were not on a tour. It was a do it yourself. We were there in August 2023.