Where to Stay in Venice

cpl100

It's been a long time since I visited Venice (the ship was able to sail into the canal!) and wondering where is the most convenience place to stay these days.  Will be arriving by train from Florence and will be flying out at the end of the stay.  I am torn between staying somewhere just over the first bridge (which I did last time) or further inside (closer to sights).  All information is welcome and appreciated.

17 hours ago, cpl100 said:

Will be arriving by train from Florence and will be flying out at the end of the stay.  I am torn between staying somewhere just over the first bridge (which I did last time) or further inside (closer to sights).  All information is welcome and appreciated.

Before we all throw out names of places I think it would be helpful to understand your budget. Personally I always feel staying further in the city was more enjoyable, especially with a shorter stay, than staying close to Santa Lucia train station. That being said it can range from a few hundred dollars a night to several thousand for some of the top grande dame properties in and around San Marco. 

If you do stay further in the city I would make sure the hotel has a water taxi dock and then budget for a water taxi ride to the airport-- fabulous way to either enter or leave the city. 

47 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Before we all throw out names of places I think it would be helpful to understand your budget. Personally I always feel staying further in the city was more enjoyable, especially with a shorter stay, than staying close to Santa Lucia train station. That being said it can range from a few hundred dollars a night to several thousand for some of the top grande dame properties in and around San Marco. 

If you do stay further in the city I would make sure the hotel has a water taxi dock and then budget for a water taxi ride to the airport-- fabulous way to either enter or leave the city. 

Sure.  I would say the top end would be $600 per night but the preference would be less.

On 9/14/2024 at 7:01 PM, Fishboy1947 said:

We stayed just off Piazzale Roma at Hotel Olimpia. We liked the convenience. The hotel was nice, good breakfast & reasonable 

That's where we stayed the first time.  We did enjoy it but it was a long walk to everywhere except the train, bus and cruise ship.