Comparing river cruise companies -updated information

Kiwi-gal

Hi all

I have been looking at different river cruise companies and the Itinerary they offer over the this weekend

\

I had found the other day a 'Comparison of top River Cruise Companies in Europe' list which I thought was helpful however it is very old.

Has anyone seen or made one themselves?

Eg. I was looking at bikes included or not included in one list and it said it said no but cruise line site says yes.

The list I was looking at I thought was good as it compared things like 

All drinks included Wine/ Beer/ pop 

Bikes On- board  

Excursions included in every port

Extra fee optional excursions in some ports

Port charges included in cruise rate 

transfers from airport without cruise line air

Gratuities included

Wifi Included

Number of ships In Europe

Yes

I have been comparing companies for a proposed cruise next year, and I've done it in the past.

I think one need to include the 'musts', and the 'nice to have' and I use a comments  field for things the company offer that others don't which, though not a deal breaker, are nice and could be a tie breaker.

But you don't list cost, number of days (I also divide no. of days into cost to get cost per day) and what type of cabin. Some lines don't have verandas, some do. Some place importance on cabin size.

Gratuities included - minefield; for instance Viking include gratuities for UK customers but only on board, not for tour guides and coach drivers, whereas Scenic do.

Nearly all cruise lines include air fare in prices for UK customers, so that's a given. Those that don't are noted in comments.

Some of the websites obscure the nuts and bolts of what is actually included, I get the printed brochures which are easier and quicker to drill into.

Offerings change from year to year, so I wouldn't rely on anything old.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Actually such a pity that because we live in a different country we cannot try to be at least a little bit of assistance to someone from the other side of the world. If you take the trouble to look at the site I referred to you would realise the absolute wealth of information it contains not only applicable to North Americans. 
Please note I am not employed or have any financial interest in that site or Scenic, in fact any form of travel company.

I looked at the site and read a # of articles..thank you! 

• Thanks 1