Grand Turk or Progresso (for Merida)?

Looking at a couple of short cruises departing this fall. Have cruised a lot but never to Grand Turk or Progresso.  Friends were in Grand Turk a few years ago and though it was a bunch of nothing. Said it was packed at a beach by Margaritaville and smelled foul in the area. .(I was surprised they never tried to snorkel anywhere there, actually, but perhaps it wasn't easy to get to a place to do it that is good, or find an independent exursion to do it or perhaps the ship didn't offer any snorkeling excursions or was sold out - ?) 

As for Progresso, I doubt it's "all that" compared to Cozumel, Playa del Carmen or Costa Maya (Mayahual), but then we've never gone there.  IF we do, I think I'd like to visit the old colonial section of Merida.  However, getting there could be expensive. (I've read there is a public bus that goes there from Progresso but the ride is 2 hrs. each way due to stops and don't want to risk slow transportation on a cruise stop.)  I've seen private guides/rides recommended for tours of Merida and it's surroundings but too pricey for us. 

Just wonder what those who have been to those 2 ports think about them as compared to one another. 

Hoping for some quick replies. Thanks for any input!

The description of Grand Turk is accurate - it's a private cruiseline-owned pier, beach and facilities (bars, shops, etc). No boating options when we were there. I think there are now a few amusements there 

Beach wasn't over-crowded when we were there, but ours wasn't a mega-ship and was the only ship there (pier takes 2 ships).

Beach was right by the pier, and was sandy & safe, but snorkelling not worthwhile - literally nothing to see.

You can use your on-board account in the shops & bars, altho to the left (looking from the ship) the boundary of the cruiseline's property was close and the makeshift bars of a couple of enterprising locals were significantly cheaper than ships' (surprise, surprise 🙄). 

The area nearby was scrubby & undeveloped, those who ventured outside reckoned they'd wasted their time.

For those of us who sail for the destinations it was a waste of a day, though for us on a 14-day port-intensive cruise it was no big deal.

For those who cruise for a lazy vacation I guess sun-bathing on one "private resort" makes a change from a sea-day. Some cruises include more than one cruiseline-owned destination. 

Rates low on our list, but sorry, can't compare it to Progresso - never been there.

JB 🙂

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

The description of Grand Turk is accurate - it's a private cruiseline-owned pier, beach and facilities (bars, shops, etc). No boating options when we were there. I think there are now a few amusements there 

Beach wasn't over-crowded when we were there, but ours wasn't a mega-ship and was the only ship there (pier takes 2 ships).

Beach was right by the pier, and was sandy & safe, but snorkelling not worthwhile - literally nothing to see.

The area nearby was scrubby & undeveloped, those who ventured outside reckoned they'd wasted their time.

The port of call is also located on a smaller island away from the larger T & C islands built, as you mention, as a localized cruise ship port of call and developed by Carnival.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks SO much for this info! Seems like ships under both the Royal Caribbean Corp and Carnval Corp, especially, are going to their own private islands more and more. In searching for itineraries, On the short causes under a week these may be the only destinations. In the near "olden days" you would at least go to a private island and possibly Nassau, Key West or Cozumel. 

Thanks again!