Southhampton to Heathrow May 25, 2025

z4ltw

I see that Sunday May 26, 2025 is Spring Bank Holiday in UK.

I have a cruise that ends in Southampton on Saturday May 25.

Not sure if that holiday will impact me getting to Heathrow on Saturday May 25 for a 2:30pm flight?

How early for that flight should I arrive at Heathrow for flight to United States?

Your feedback is much appreciated!

The whole weekend is likely to be busier, on roads, transport and at the airport.  If the Sunday is warm and sunny roads wll be particularly busy.  Whether you are travelling on Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th be prepared to take extra time.  

It also sounds as if you need to disembark asap to get to LHR in good time.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Planning to cruise said:

The whole weekend is likely to be busier, on roads, transport and at the airport.  If the Sunday is warm and sunny roads wll be particularly busy.  Whether you are travelling on Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th be prepared to take extra time.  

It also sounds as if you need to disembark asap to get to LHR in good time.  

I have always thought the Sunday of a BH weekend was slightly less busy than ordinary Sundays because of people postponing their journeys home, or, in this case, staying away for the week, as it is half-term.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have always thought the Sunday of a BH weekend was slightly less busy than ordinary Sundays because of people postponing their journeys home, or, in this case, staying away for the week, as it is half-term.

I agree that Sunday may not be as bad as the Monday and road organisations usually and advise against travelling on the Friday.  I think on a Sunday there can be a lot of day trippers in places and family visits.  We avoid travelling on any BH day whenever possible but some people do have a "must get out" mentality.  We retired have more options. 

Whatever the reality of the outcome, the OP may be wise to be aware and prepared.  

• Thanks 1

It's important to clarify whether you're travelling on Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th .............

May 24th next year is a saturday,

25th is a sunday,

The bank holiday is the monday, 26th.

Week commencing May 26th is also half-term break for most English schools.

That means there will be more flights than usual that weekend, but I don't know how that will affect Heathrow.

But it won't affect your travel from Southampton to Heathrow - it's the opposite carriageway that will be choked with traffic on the friday pm & saturday am as people escape the Big Bad City heading for the coast or the countryside.

On sunday 25th, folk will already be where they want to be.

On monday 26th Londoners will be heading back to the Big Bad City - around early evening if the weather is fine, earlier in the day if the weekend has been ruined by heavy rain.

JB 🙂

11 hours ago, John Bull said:

It's important to clarify whether you're travelling on Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th .............

May 24th next year is a saturday,

25th is a sunday,

The bank holiday is the monday, 26th.

Week commencing May 26th is also half-term break for most English schools.

That means there will be more flights than usual that weekend, but I don't know how that will affect Heathrow.

But it won't affect your travel from Southampton to Heathrow - it's the opposite carriageway that will be choked with traffic on the friday pm & saturday am as people escape the Big Bad City heading for the coast or the countryside.

On sunday 25th, folk will already be where they want to be.

On monday 26th Londoners will be heading back to the Big Bad City - around early evening if the weather is fine, earlier in the day if the weekend has been ruined by heavy rain.

JB 🙂

So sorry for the confusion, The holiday itself is indeed MONDAY

The cruise ends Sunday May 25

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, z4ltw said:

So sorry for the confusion, The holiday itself is indeed MONDAY

The cruise ends Sunday May 25

As per my post, no worries with travelling to the airport on the sunday 🙂.

JB 🙂