CFAR Insurance

33 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Have it, may have to use it.  My medical issues may not apply, so would fall back of CFAR.  Has anyone filed a claim with this type of coverage?  Cancel For Any Reason.  If so, how did it go

Could you let us know which travel insurer you are using?  It might make a difference.

We have not used CFAR, but we've always added that coverage.  And there were several times we almost used it, so it gave us considerable peace of mind.

(When very elderly MIL was still with us, we had CFAR in case she unexpectedly complained of being unwell, which she *never* did. The one time we thought we'd actually us it, she did end up in hospital, so we used the regular full insurance.)

At least with the policy we get, CFAR *requires* that one notify the insurer at least 48 hours BEFORE the planned departure date.

And our CFAR would pay 75%, but cash, not credits/etc.

We've had zero problems with any of our claims (including a couple of large ones), and we wouldn't expect any difficulties with the CFAR, as long as we met the deadline.

(We also have "interrupt for any reason" included in the CFAR, for after the trip has started.)

Good luck!

GC

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Have the same 48 hour notice, and 75% cash.  Insurance not through cruise line.  Just wondering what difficulties if any to use.  thanks  

We use Travel Insured, purchased through TripInsuranceStore, who will help with claims if requested.  (And for our very first claim, which was a biggie for us at the time, we did ask them to just double check the claim form before we sent it in.)

Remember to include RECEIPTS for *everything*!

(The insurer has the right to do their best to avoid fraud, after all...)

If it's CFAR, then you won't also need good documentation about the reason for the cancellation, so that would make it easier. 😉 

We also called them to double check that they received the claim, and then "kept in touch".  For the other claims, we didn't babysit the claim, and all went well.  It was definitely less worrisome after having had a claim paid without quibbling.

We submitted everything as a pdf, via email.  (Yes, a lot of scanning that one time...  But NO WAY would we have sent originals anyway.)

GC

Travel Insured International.  If we have to cancel it will be prior to leaving.  Well of course if we get to go I know if something comes up to save save documentation.  Got Insurance through  insure my trip dot com

hoping to hear from someone that filed claim under CFAR

12 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Travel Insured International.  If we have to cancel it will be prior to leaving.  Well of course if we get to go I know if something comes up to save save documentation.  Got Insurance through  insure my trip dot com

hoping to hear from someone that filed claim under CFAR

Hi NW Pacific,

Contact insure my trip for their advice, too. And make they help you with your claim.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

To me, if you are buying CFAR through a reputable company then CFAR is CFAR.  You should be able to cancel for any reason.

I will always advocate that before you buy the insurance you ask the necessary questions to understand it.

CFAR through an insurance company is very different than CFAR that is offered by the cruise line.

Through an insurance company you are going to get money back.  Through the cruise line, you are generally going to get a voucher or credit for future travel.

I had the Holland America platinum insurance and received 90% credit back to my credit card, minus the insurance cost, when I canceled ( sick dog ). I know that Celebrity and Princess only offer cruise credit.

OP here.    Unfortunately had to cancel cruise yesterday.  Did talk with Insurance  rep, asked if insurance would not recognize my medical issue would CFAR kick in.  Reply was yes.  i guess that was one of my concerns if I applied for medical and not accepted, would I still qualify for CFAR, seems so.  Got Dr statement today, so hoping for coverage under that, but know insurance companies can be picky what applies.  Dr did date of not being able to travel from a week ago.  urggh,   thank you for your replies, now I have lots of stuff to send in, hopefully got my ducks lined up

On 9/24/2024 at 9:08 PM, NW Pacific said:

OP here.    Unfortunately had to cancel cruise yesterday.  Did talk with Insurance  rep, asked if insurance would not recognize my medical issue would CFAR kick in.  Reply was yes.  i guess that was one of my concerns if I applied for medical and not accepted, would I still qualify for CFAR, seems so.  Got Dr statement today, so hoping for coverage under that, but know insurance companies can be picky what applies.  Dr did date of not being able to travel from a week ago.  urggh,   thank you for your replies, now I have lots of stuff to send in, hopefully got my ducks lined up

Sorry to hear that you have had to cancel and hope medically everything goes well for you.

If you are so inclined and able to do so, please update us on the process and how it plays out as this will help others to understand.

Insurance can be so difficult to navigate for many.

Best of health and best of luck with your claim.

On 9/21/2024 at 4:10 PM, CDNPolar said:

To me, if you are buying CFAR through a reputable company then CFAR is CFAR.  You should be able to cancel for any reason.

I will always advocate that before you buy the insurance you ask the necessary questions to understand it.

CFAR through an insurance company is very different than CFAR that is offered by the cruise line.

Through an insurance company you are going to get money back.  Through the cruise line, you are generally going to get a voucher or credit for future travel.

It's a "Yes, but..." situation about CFAR.

It IS "for ANY reason", but... the TIMING can really matter!

At least with the 3rd party travel insurance policies we've seen (and that obviously is not all of them!), one MUST file a CFAR claim at least 48 hours prior to the planned departure.

I don't understand that little "catch" other than as a way to avoid some claims, and that seems inappropriate for something like CFAR (e.g., "ANY reason").

And obviously, if it's written into the policy, then that's it... that IS the policy!

But I still don't get it.  Requiring a physician letter for a medical cancellation, that I understand.  Requiring receipts to document expenses to be reimbursed, that I understand.

NOT allowing a CFAR cancellation, say, one day prior to the planned departure?  Nope, I don't understand that in terms of "regular business necessity"...

GC

On 9/24/2024 at 9:08 PM, NW Pacific said:

Sorry you had to cancel.

IF you have a physician's statement that you could not travel for medical reasons, try NOT to use the CFAR, which is supposedly for times when there is *not* a documented medical reason (or other covered reason). You should be able to get 100% coverage, not 75%.

I guess I'm not understanding your hesitation/concern about the documented medical need to cancel being "not accepted".  Is there any actual reason that concerns you about the claim being denied, that the physician's statement would be questioned?

We've had quite a few "medical" cancellations (ALL of our cancelled trips) and the only "travel interruption" was also for medical reasons.  We were *never* given any grief: the medical documentation (physician letter, overseas hospital records, etc.) always seemed just fine as documentation.

We only thought about CFAR coverage as "just in case", such as if we were *worried* about something (e.g., the health of a very elderly relative who did NOT [yet!?] have a serious medical problem... but if she wanted us to stay, we obviously would have done so.  Or IF weather seemed too concerning, but there wasn't a "named hurricane" or such...

GC

From OP.  Travel Insured International has-been responsive.  Got a packet put together today, 11 pages of documents.  Am shaking my head why I need to submit itinerary and cruise line cancel policy.  Would think any travel insurance has access but did.  Wanted credit card statement, ?? Cruise documents shows when and how paid very clearly, they were required also.  And don't forget to include signed fraud statements to the Physician's report and the Cancellation form.  Am confident it will eventually pay under medical versus CFAR.  I would feel so horrible for anyone going through life threatening issues or a death to have to organize this.  But you do have 15 months to file a claim.  Well I would like our money back sooner than later.  When I get a refund will check back her to let you all know, how long, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

OP back with Insurance response.  Can't answer my initial question about CFAR response.  Insurance did accept my Medical reason and it was covered at 100 percent. (minus of course NCL refund).  Filed claim on phone Sept. 23.  Received documents to submit.  Mailed all documents Sept. 27, they were finally received on October 7.  Received email on Oct. 9, that claim has been approved.  check to be received within 7 to 10 days.  did receive the refund for port charges, taxes and drink/dining pkg. from NCL with 10 days.  Still not ready to cruise again but hoping to resume at some point.   Travel Insured International is the name of the Insurance company, bought through Insuermytrip dot com.  Without travel insurance we would be out a bucket load of money, FYI