Rose Wine

CruiseCrew123

12 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

That will be because the ships are moving from the med to Caribbean so the suppliers will be different 

And goodness knows what will happen on the Transatlantic crossings!  However last months debacle on EJ1 did the cruise line no favours as it showed up how acceptable it was for hosts to spin yarns rather than be honest. Only one officer admitted (and reacted to) the issue. Even his boss ignored/denied the problem 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 2:36 PM, uktog said:

My husband has spoken to the General Manager who said he did not know there was a problem and he is going to investigate. However the bar staff showed me new wine lists that have been printed with no rose wine on them at all. Hard to believe such a change was made without someone knowing. 

I’m going off topic, sorry. Our last 4 cruises have been with Viking. How do Explora compare? We’ve also sailed with Silversea. Thanks

24 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

I’m going off topic, sorry. Our last 4 cruises have been with Viking. How do Explora compare? We’ve also sailed with Silversea. Thanks

Good question- we will be back on Viking early next year and have been talking about it. Food is probably a notch up, but then they have a higher budget, drink is included, excursions are not and their “destination experiences” are a disaster all usually cancelled. Basic room is bigger but bathrooms the same. Entertainment not as good, very few enrichment talks and no pre port briefings (they expect you to use the internet for info).  Very little atmosphere in Bars at night. Pools are nicer but there is virtually no shade anywhere. Wi-Fi no difference. Service (to us moderate Scots) on Explora is fussy, over the top and at times down right annoying. We prefer the very efficient approach of Viking. Onboard the majority of officers are not receptive to feedback unless it’s telling them how wonderful they are. 
Ask me again early next year! 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Good question- we will be back on Viking early next year and have been talking about it. Food is probably a notch up, but then they have a higher budget, drink is included, excursions are not and their “destination experiences” are a disaster all usually cancelled. Basic room is bigger but bathrooms the same. Entertainment not as good, very few enrichment talks and no pre port briefings (they expect you to use the internet for info).  Very little atmosphere in Bars at night. Pools are nicer but there is virtually no shade anywhere. Wi-Fi no difference. Service (to us moderate Scots) on Explora is fussy, over the top and at times down right annoying. We prefer the very efficient approach of Viking. Onboard the majority of officers are not receptive to feedback unless it’s telling them how wonderful they are. 

As a fellow Scot, you always make me smile.We feel we need a change from Viking and thought that Explora would be it. However from your comments it is definitely not our cup of tea. 

1 hour ago, friendlyfifer said:

As a fellow Scot, you always make me smile.We feel we need a change from Viking and thought that Explora would be it. However from your comments it is definitely not our cup of tea. 

Of course entirely your prerogative but having just watched a video where a blogger has done a detailed analysis of the reviews of 25 lines, and Explora not only rated highest in the Ultra Luxury category, but highest rating of all the ships, then to disregard sailing on a line because of one persons experience, how ever valid, is perhaps a tad hasty.  I am doing my first Explora cruise next year, and have been avidly looking at  reviews ( especially food 😂), and when the only complaints on this forum seem to be lack of clotted cream, tea bags or certain wines, then I think if that’s all there to moan about then I’m in for a great time. Having said that we don’t do organised excursions and don’t need fancy entertainment , just a nice cocktail and good company does us. Why don’t you look at the reviews on YouTube and then make a more informed decision?  This is good one to start. https://youtu.be/0TpyOd_LUz0?si=2-FYDtoQgghpX7hj
What ever you decide  Happy Cruising from a fellow Scot ! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

9 hours ago, uktog said:

8 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

6 hours ago, Dizer65 said:

Of course entirely your prerogative but having just watched a video where a blogger has done a detailed analysis of the reviews of 25 lines, and Explora not only rated highest ….

Ok, the Canadian is weighing in after actually having had a lovely chat with uktog on board Explora!

Totally agree with Dizer with full recognition of uk’s views…

We found Viking to be like a mortuary but with worse music!  Horribly loud main dining, a covered pool that was stifling with roof open or closed, Tesco (reaching for a UK-ism) included “tours” and truly lousy and limited evening entertainment. We did agree , however, that it was THE nicest IKEA out there!

Meaning: try it yourself!

15 hours ago, Dizer65 said:

Of course entirely your prerogative but having just watched a video where a blogger has done a detailed analysis of the reviews of 25 lines, and Explora not only rated highest in the Ultra Luxury category, but highest rating of all the ships, then to disregard sailing on a line because of one persons experience, how ever valid, is perhaps a tad hasty.  I am doing my first Explora cruise next year, and have been avidly looking at  reviews ( especially food 😂), and when the only complaints on this forum seem to be lack of clotted cream, tea bags or certain wines, then I think if that’s all there to moan about then I’m in for a great time. Having said that we don’t do organised excursions and don’t need fancy entertainment , just a nice cocktail and good company does us. Why don’t you look at the reviews on YouTube and then make a more informed decision?  This is good one to start. https://youtu.be/0TpyOd_LUz0?si=2-FYDtoQgghpX7hj

I am an avid YouTube viewer and watched the same review of cruise lines. Like you I enjoy a cocktail or two and am not concerned that my teabag of choice may not be available on board. The Viking crew is excellent providing good service without fawning over the guests. Officers are keen to rectify any problems and I love the ships.   The food is ok but needs updating and the theatre shows need a complete rethink. I’ll either take the plunge with Explora or head over to Silversea. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Ok, the Canadian is weighing in after actually having had a lovely chat with uktog on board Explora!

Totally agree with Dizer with full recognition of uk’s views…

We found Viking to be like a mortuary but with worse music!  Horribly loud main dining, a covered pool that was stifling with roof open or closed, Tesco (reaching for a UK-ism) included “tours” and truly lousy and limited evening entertainment. We did agree , however, that it was THE nicest IKEA out there!

Meaning: try it yourself!

Now a Canadian is making me smile. 🤣 I’d be interested to know if you agree with anything Uktog has said? Your summary of Viking makes me think your views would be beneficial.

Poor Viking! Many of your points are harsh but true. I don’t want to see another Beatles or ABBA show but do enjoy the classical music and onboard speakers. In my 60s I am often one of the youngest on board and other passengers do hold me back on the ‘Tesco’-like tours. The ships are lovely and, unlike a visit to IKEA, very calming. The food offering needs to be updated. The crew is great and officers are quick to respond to any concerns raised with them.

Thanks for your input.

I think the way in which the Viking crew does or does not look after you (aka they leave you alone if that’s your wish) is a big factor on board and perhaps some of my recent frustration with Explora is due to the fact that they wanted to run around after you but only on their terms.
My personal preference is not to be run around after but to prompt not necessarily lightning speed service.  

I also found on Viking that the hotel director was very accessible if you wanted a chat - positive or negative.  Explora that did not happen - if it had happened in a genuinely open way with honest reactions to feedback on the issues they were having I would not feel like I do now..

In the next three months, I have 18 days on Explora  and 33 on Viking coming up so I feel early next year, I  think I’ll be in a position to really judge them given how close together two experiences will be. My last Viking was 12 months ago and I’ve also done Azamara in between 

Living 10 minutes from IKEA, which provides free some of the best coffee in the area, I have a slight affection for them.  I also like the light spaciousness of the Scandinavian look.  Explora is a little confused in it look. - there is spacious openness in someplaces but a very dark stateroom I felt was quite depressing with poor lighting for my eyesight. Others may have a different experience.

Edited by uktog

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think the way in which the Viking crew does or does not look after you (aka they leave you alone if that’s your wish) is a big factor on board and perhaps some of my recent frustration with Explora is due to the fact that they wanted to run around after you but only on their terms.
My personal preference is not to be run around after but to prompt not necessarily lightning speed service.  

I also found on Viking that the hotel director was very accessible if you wanted a chat - positive or negative.  Explora that did not happen - if it had happened in a genuinely open way with honest reactions to feedback on the issues they were having I would not feel like I do now..

In the next three months, I have 18 days on Explora  and 33 on Viking coming up so I feel early next year, I  think I’ll be in a position to really judge them given how close together two experiences will be. My last Viking was 12 months ago and I’ve also done Azamara in between 

Living 10 minutes from IKEA, which provides free some of the best coffee in the area, I have a slight affection for them.  I also like the light spaciousness of the Scandinavian look.  Explora is a little confused in it look. - there is spacious openness in someplaces but a very dark stateroom I felt was quite depressing with poor lighting for my eyesight. Others may have a different experience.

Not sure what you mean by a “ very dark stateroom”.Did you manage to  properly work the lighting? I was on the same cruise- 2weeks OT 1 and 2 week PH- in both staterooms the lighting was excellent and could be dimmed up and down from muted to extremely bright. 

1 hour ago, Elizabethbea said:

Not sure what you mean by a “ very dark stateroom”.Did you manage to  properly work the lighting? I was on the same cruise- 2weeks OT 1 and 2 week PH- in both staterooms the lighting was excellent and could be dimmed up and down from muted to extremely bright. 

Yes we’ve been on three times and know the lighting well. The display unit blocks light coming into the room as others have commented. The darker wood and grey wallpaper also dampens the light.  I do however have a slight eye site issue which will exacerbate the problem and rooms with lighter wood and walls work  better for me.  
I wasn’t aware you were on in mid September maybe you could have pointed me in the direction of things!