Muster drill

I just read some lines are returning to the in person drill from days of old. On our June cruise the muster drill was the new one - watch the info on cabin TV or on your device & stop by muster station to scan madallion. If you've cruised recently, was this the case? 

Edited by 1965

There is a requirement to perform full muster drills periodically.  I believe it’s twice per year.  Other than that, Princess has been sticking to the modern way. 

Even the periodic ones haven’t required passengers to bring their life jackets. 

That's been our experience on all three of our cruises this year. And while I certainly do not miss the old method, I do wonder if it really is helpful in briefing new cruisers on what to do in an emergency. We have observed so many people just bringing it up on their phones after boarding and letting it run while they eat lunch or have a cocktail and they aren't even watching it. The sound isn't even turned up. They are just checking the box. Understandable to an extent if you are a seasoned cruiser who has heard the spiel many times over. It pretty much mirrors the level of attention you see on most planes these days during the safety briefing. Hopefully new cruisers are actually taking the time and interest to watch it and learn the basics.

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

There is a requirement to perform full muster drills periodically.  I believe it’s twice per year.  Other than that, Princess has been sticking to the modern way. 

You are correct; we have done both on our current cruise.

The video system on embarkation.

About 12 days later, we all were required to attend the muster station at 10am and bring our lifejacket.

The crew demonstrated the lifejacket, but we were not required to put ours on.

This one is a six monthly requirement for the crew.

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

That's been our experience on all three of our cruises this year. And while I certainly do not miss the old method, I do wonder if it really is helpful in briefing new cruisers on what to do in an emergency...

In an emergency, the crew are prepared to deal with people that aren't prepared, as well as people who are confused, irrational, and panicked, simply because there is a not-insignificant amount those individuals to expected to exist in any catastrophic event.

Muster in person or muster on device, it makes no difference. People who are inclined to pay attention to safety instructions ahead of disaster are already going to do so. Those who are not will not be swayed by a mandatory drill.

54 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

In an emergency, the crew are prepared to deal with people that aren't prepared, as well as people who are confused, irrational, and panicked, simply because there is a not-insignificant amount those individuals to expected to exist in any catastrophic event.

Muster in person or muster on device, it makes no difference. People who are inclined to pay attention to safety instructions ahead of disaster are already going to do so. Those who are not will not be swayed by a mandatory drill.

How many times did we see people playing on their phones during the old muster drill ?

I really think everyone should attend the Muster Drill I have been on a lot of cruises and seen a lot

of people with no clue on how to properly put on there life jacket. Better to be Safe than Sorry!!

Tony