Bringing 2 grandchildren on their 1st cruise, what paperwork do I need?

Dall

Our grandchildren, 13 and 11 will be coming with us New York to Eastern Caribbean on Venezia. Carnival rep told me we don’t need a permission letter or anything like that which I find hard to believe.  We want to cover all bases, if we get a notarized statement that gives permission to bring them on the cruise and medical treatment if necessary, signed by both parents…do we need to sign it as well?   What have those of you in this position done in the past?  

• Have done this several times and I can't remember any time they ask for it. I made op my own with the info you suggested and the signed and I singed. All for people in case one of you are not with them.
  • I mostly do for medical reasons because you never know.

22 minutes ago, hillbilly cruiser said:
  • Have done this several times and I can't remember any time they ask for it. I made op my own with the info you suggested and the signed and I singed. All for people in case one of you are not with them.
  • I mostly do for medical reasons because you never know.

Absolutely medical is the most important. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

That sounds good. But while not necessarily a requirement, I would also require the grandkids have passports.

We requested they get passports, their parents got them passbooks 😕. We are also waiting on one of the passbooks (application sent in April), social security number was wrong. We will bring certified birth certificates as well I guess. And just hope nothing happens that we would need to fly home.

27 minutes ago, Dall said:

We requested they get passports, their parents got them passbooks 😕. We are also waiting on one of the passbooks (application sent in April), social security number was wrong. We will bring certified birth certificates as well I guess. And just hope nothing happens that we would need to fly home.

What is a passbook?  

Right in Carnival's policy is the strong recommendation that you bring a notarized letter authorizing them to travel with you. Doesn't matter if it's not routinely asked for. I would never leave home without that. So easy to do.

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=3409

I was not able to find the actual form on the Carnival website but I bet someone will and post it shortly. There are many available online authorizing both travel and medical care. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Yea, that's the Passport Card.  Perhaps that person misspoke when they used the term "passbook".

Yes I was wrong, thanks for helping me out 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dall said:

Our grandchildren, 13 and 11 will be coming with us New York to Eastern Caribbean on Venezia. Carnival rep told me we don’t need a permission letter or anything like that which I find hard to believe.  We want to cover all bases, if we get a notarized statement that gives permission to bring them on the cruise and medical treatment if necessary, signed by both parents…do we need to sign it as well?   What have those of you in this position done in the past?  

I'm sure you are not trying to assume custody by taking minors out of the country.  However, this has been known to happen.  The very best way to cover your intentions is with a notarized letter stating that you have permission from all parents.

We took our 3 grandchildren (one at a time) on a cruise for their 12th birthdays. We were also told that they didn't need anything special, but worried about coming back from a tour in a foreign country and having an attendant question our right to take a child who is not ours. There is a lot of child trafficking I'm afraid. We had the parents sign and notarize the following document. Three cruises and we never were questioned or had to produce this, but it was worth it for peace of mind! Feel free to copy it.

child permission.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, chocolate melting cake said:

We took our 3 grandchildren (one at a time) on a cruise for their 12th birthdays. We were also told that they didn't need anything special, but worried about coming back from a tour in a foreign country and having an attendant question our right to take a child who is not ours. There is a lot of child trafficking I'm afraid. We had the parents sign and notarize the following document. Three cruises and we never were questioned or had to produce this, but it was worth it for peace of mind! Feel free to copy it.

child permission.jpg

This is exactly what I want!  I’m now in the process of trying to figure out how to copy 😳😬😀 thank you so much.

2 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

I'm not a computer "techy" but I'd click on the "contract" and when it appears as a separate copy, I'd click on my "Print Screen" key. Then I'd go to a graphics program and Paste it into a blank area. Good luck.

👍😊