NCL or Celebrity for Japan?

KayJay4

Hello, looking for some views on whether to book NCL Spirit or Celebrity Millenium for Japan in August 2025.

I've sailed on lots of different cruise lines but never on NCL. Just wondering if anyone has done both and would have an opinion on which one would be best.  I usually like a formal night but can cope without so dress isn't a problem.  We would be travelling with our kids who are both vegan and this is usually a little problematic on every ship so as long as there is something they can eat - all good. 

Most of the review cover covid times so aren't giving me a true reflection.  Thanks in advance!

I have taken far more NCL cruises than any other line, but we did the Millennium on a Japan / S. Korea / Shanghai cruise and really enjoyed it.  Though, that may have been due to being in port most days, so not a lot of time spent on the ship.  They did have a separate vegetarian / vegan menu that you had to ask for.  While I'm not vegan, I ordered more off this menu than the regular menu and everything was good.  I cruise for itinerary and have been very disappointed with NCL changing / dropping ports after final payment in the past year, so am leery at this point to go with NCL.  You can't go wrong with Millennium and Celebrity.

• Like 1

I've been on both ships and enjoyed them both but Japan is really about the itinerary.  I, too, have become concerned about NCL advertising ports and then dropping them after final payment so, even though NCL has been our favorite line, I would go with the Millennium for a cruise where itinerary is so important.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies.  Celebrity has been our favourite line so I was keen to look at what they were offering. I would love to try NCL but I am not sure that this is the one to try it out on. The itinerary is almost the same on both so I think I should lean towards the one I already know. Thanks for your input!

I'm not sure how strict your kids are.  But, be aware when you eat in port - there will be fish sauce or oyster sauce in just about every dish.  The person I went with is allergic so we used google translate to create a card saying that she was allergic to fish and all fish products.  She showed that when she went into a restaurant and they would point out the items she could eat. 

We have sailed on both lines several times.   I would give the nod to Celebrity.   Celebrity Apex has been our favorite ship.  

However, there are some pluses for NCL, mainly I think it is the best value out there and I don't think the NCL experience seems "cheap".   Our NCL cruises have been very fun.  I have found the food on NCL to be very good and equal to Celebrity but other areas are lacking.   

I have great frustration with the NCL app and the pre-cruise on-line reservations, excursions, etc.   Maybe just bad luck, but the excursions show up late, the wrong photos with the excursion description, you try to register and it gives you an error, etc.. etc.    

The entertainment is a mixed bag.  I thought "Million Dollar Quartet" on the NCL Getaway was the best show I have seen on a cruise ship, but you really only get one (maybe 2) unique shows on NCL per cruise, the rest is audience game shows, etc.  

We pretty much choose on itinerary and price these days.  The ship and entertainment are secondary concerns for us.  

We have also just booked a Japan cruise on Princess.  Have never done Princess but the dates worked out for us.  I can't comment on the ships but I have learned that princess has a very good air booking feature (and I normally never book air through the cruise line), but the flexibility to price shop and change or cancel after booking will be nice for an expensive air ticket to Tokyo.

Good luck planning and have fun in Japan.

Thanks CC Jack. We have sailed Princess before and they are good. In fact we are considering a sort of last minute break (November) to San Francisco and Princess have one so we might.

I think we will go ahead and book Celebrity and do NCL another time as I would love to try them.

Never book a NCL cruise based on itinerary. It may say Japan now, but the day after final payment you'll find yourself in Hong Kong. Read the forum. Far too many posts about NCL changing ports for no good reasons (good reasons being weather, war, etc.). 

I still sail NCL, because I don't really care where I go.

• Like 1