Hotel in Emeryville

bandgbasset

We’re taking Amtrak from Reno to emeryville and taking a cab to San Francisco for our upcoming cruise.  Would like to stay in emeryville to catch a train back to Reno.

any hotel recommendations?  Close to the train station with some good restaurants. 
thank you.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Emeryville is not a very large city although I have not lived in that area for a while. You might want to think about Oakland or Alameda as well

Alameda is really going in the wrong direction for catching the Amtrak from Emeryville.  Emeryville was a very nice city surrounded by not so nice.  Looks like there's a couple of Hyatt's close to the Amtrak and walking distance to the Public Market.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

2 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Alameda is really going in the wrong direction for catching the Amtrak from Emeryville.  Emeryville was a very nice city surrounded by not so nice.    

I was born and lived most of my life in Oakland. As far as Emeryville goes a decent hotel is going to cost between $200-$400 per night. There are no restaurants I would even recommend there

1 minute ago, memoak said:

I was born and lived most of my life in Oakland. As far as Emeryville goes a decent hotel is going to cost between $200-$400 per night. There are no restaurants I would even recommend there

Could be, but Alameda would be just to far and is sort of a wasteland for food when I worked there.  Isn't any decent hotel in SF area going to cost that much?  I feel like I'm getting a deal if I can find anything under $300.  Realistically, if it were me i would stay in SF and just Uber over to the Amtrak.  

8 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Could be, but Alameda would be just too far and is sort of a wasteland for food when I worked there.  Isn't any decent hotel in SF area going to cost that much?  I feel like I'm getting a deal if I can find anything under $300.  Realistically, if it were me i would stay in SF and just Uber over to the Amtrak.  

In the past Amtrak ran a bus from Emeryville to San Francisco. I would look into that. We take the coast starlight so it goes through Oakland to LA. We live in Portland. Easy 1 1/2 day trip

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Could be, but Alameda would be just to far and is sort of a wasteland for food when I worked there.  Isn't any decent hotel in SF area going to cost that much?  I feel like I'm getting a deal if I can find anything under $300.  Realistically, if it were me i would stay in SF and just Uber over to the Amtrak.  

I can recommend some excellent restaurants in Alameda on Park Street and SouthShore areas 

5 hours ago, memoak said:

In the past Amtrak ran a bus from Emeryville to San Francisco. I would look into that. We take the coast starlight so it goes through Oakland to LA. We live in Portland. Easy 1 1/2 day trip

Amtrak still has the bus service into the City but the bus stop is just that—one gets dropped off outside the Sales Force Transit Center on the street.  You still have to get to the port.  We usually just walked but I know others took a cab to the port.

(Amtrak used to have service that would drop you off right at the port but that went away during the Covid shutdown.)

We frequently take Amtrak when we cruise out of SF (live in the East Bay).  We just take Uber from Emeryville to the port now.  

On 9/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, bandgbasset said:

We’re taking Amtrak from Reno to emeryville and taking a cab to San Francisco for our upcoming cruise.  Would like to stay in emeryville to catch a train back to Reno.

any hotel recommendations?  Close to the train station with some good restaurants. 
thank you.

I have stayed at the Hyatt House Emeryville—just across the tracks from the station.  I recommend that you take a cab to the hotel instead of walking.  There is a pedestrian bridge across the tracks but the elevator doesn’t work.

We just ate next door at the Pig in the Pickle in the Public Market.  It was pretty BBQ and didn’t have to go anywhere.  Hotel has a nice complementary breakfast but there is also a Pete’s Coffee nearby.

11 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I have stayed at the Hyatt House Emeryville—just across the tracks from the station.  I recommend that you take a cab to the hotel instead of walking.  There is a pedestrian bridge across the tracks but the elevator doesn’t work.

We just ate next door at the Pig in the Pickle in the Public Market.  It was pretty BBQ and didn’t have to go anywhere.  Hotel has a nice complementary breakfast but there is also a Pete’s Coffee nearby.

There is food the the public marker but it is a food mall. If you are looking for a sitdown dinner you will need to look elsewhere 

4 hours ago, memoak said:

I can recommend some excellent restaurants in Alameda on Park Street and SouthShore areas 

Alameda just doesn't make sense since you would be in commute traffic in the AM getting to Emeryville Amtrak.  Staying in SF is reverse commute and staying in Emeryville is no commute. 

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Not any worse  than most SF downtown and Mission street BART stations

True that's why I recommended Uber

6 hours ago, memoak said:

In the past Amtrak ran a bus from Emeryville to San Francisco. I would look into that.

Amtrak still has the bus bridge between SF and Emeryville. I think OP was talking about end of cruise Amtrak from Emeryville train station to Reno.  Big issue with using Amtrak bus from SF to Emeryville is to catch the train to Reno you would have to catch the bus in SF at 6AM vs just catching the train in Emeryville around 8:20 AM.  I would rather sleep a few extra hours and walk a few hundred feet to the train.    

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Alameda just doesn't make sense since you would be in commute traffic in the AM getting to Emeryville Amtrak.  Staying in SF is reverse commute and staying in Emeryville is no commute. 

True that's why I recommended Uber

Amtrak still has the bus bridge between SF and Emeryville. I think OP was talking about end of cruise Amtrak from Emeryville train station to Reno.  Big issue with using Amtrak bus from SF to Emeryville is to catch the train to Reno you would have to catch the bus in SF at 6AM vs just catching the train in Emeryville around 8:20 AM.  I would rather sleep a few extra hours and walk a few hundred feet to the train.    

I thought they were talking taking the train to the Bay Area from Reno pre cruise

Hyatt House, Hyatt Place, and Hilton Garden Inn.

Do yourself a favor and go to Trader Vic's.

If I wanted nicer hotels, I'd stay in Berkeley at the Graduate by Hilton Berkeley (formerly Durant Hotel) and Claremont.

13 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

I'd stay in Berkeley at the Graduate by Hilton Berkeley (formerly Durant Hotel) and Claremont.

Wow, Claremont! You must be made of $$$$$$$$$$$.  Always been out of my price range except when the company was paying.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Wow, Claremont! You must be made of $$$$$$$$$$$.  Always been out of my price range except when the company was paying.  

I know the place well. My wife was a manager there back in the day so I have spent a lot of time there. Not paying for it however. I do like the Durant though if I had to pay. Great bar and nearby restaurants

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  We’ve cruised out of sf lots of times.  Don’t really want to get up at 6am to catch the 8:30 train.  Someone mentioned staying in emeryville so that’s what we decided to do.

we’re leaving reno, taking Amtrak to emeryville, then Uber to our hotel for the night before the cruise.  Probably going to Uber back to emeryville to catch the train back to Reno.  You’ve given me some good ideas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bandgbasset said:

we’re leaving reno, taking Amtrak to emeryville, then Uber to our hotel for the night before the cruise.  Probably going to Uber back to emeryville to catch the train back to Reno.  You’ve given me some good ideas.

Hyatt House and Hyatt Place are essentially across the street from the Amtrak station. 

14 hours ago, bandgbasset said:

Thanks everyone.  We’ve cruised out of sf lots of times.  Don’t really want to get up at 6am to catch the 8:30 train.  Someone mentioned staying in emeryville so that’s what we decided to do.

Sounds like a good plan.  When we lived in the central valley we always wanted to do the train from Sacramento to Reno during the winter, sadly we still haven't done it.  DW's company had an office in Reno so we came up often.  I sure miss the Rib Cook Off in Sparks and riding the HD to Street Vibrations.  Those were the days.    

On 9/25/2024 at 12:53 PM, bandgbasset said:

The train ride over the mountains is gorgeous. 

you just missed the rib cookoff and street vibrations starts tomorrow.

Yep, I recall rib cookoff was Labor Day weekend and we would see all the "burners" dust covered vehicles headed back down the mountain.  DW's company provided all the generators for Burning Man that weekend and high bidder at the company VIP Rib Cookoff tables got to ride along during the weekend to service the generators with the tech.  Sadly, I never got to go but saw some great photos.