Help with Juneau excursions!

Cruisechick82

Ok, so we are considering booking Mighty Great Trips combo of their Juneau's Best tour and Helicopter/Glacier Landing with Coastal for $210.

Here's the description of the city tour, which is the part we are not sure about: Narrated bus tour of historical Juneau with experienced guides. Learn history, development, & colorful local lore! See downtown Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier, University of Alaska/Chapel by the Lake, protected wetlands, and other local sights. Enjoy 45 minutes to explore Mendenhall Glacier area (USFS charges a $3pp fee for visitor center).

We plan on visiting Medenhall anyways and Chapel by the Lake looks pretty, but does anyone know what else you see in this tour and if it is worth it?

We are only in port from 7-4 and want to fit in as much as we can. MGT recommended the city tour in the morning at 9 with the glacier/heli tour at either 12:15 or 1:15. The 1:15 tour would put us getting back very close to time to be back on board, but the 12:15 tour would leave us with about 45 min. between the tours to grab some lunch. Are there places close by where we could get a quick lunch if we don't have time to get back on the ship to eat between tours?

We also wanted to take Mt.Roberts tram(weather permitting) and hike a little as well as do a little bit of walking around the town. Can we fit all this in or is it too much? Any advice of it anyone has reviews or photos from Juneau city tour would help. Thanks!

If you plan on "visiting Mendenhall" anyways, and not have all that much interest in the tour?? Why not see if Coastal can drop you off and book with them directly if so??? This would allow you to just take the $6 shuttle back downtown and then time for Mt. Robert's.

Otherwise, I have been on MGT's tour bus. Very good with drive by city tour, commentary most of the way and the included stops. That is the tour which you have listed with the stops.

Yes there is food downtown, Twisted Fish is excellent. with only 45 mins. you do not have time to go back and forth to the ship for lunch in my opinion.

So if we did do the combo tours, would we be able to take Mt.Roberts tram before the 9:00 city tour? I couldn't find any times on their website as far as when they open. We get into port at 7. Otherwise I guess we would be done with the Coastal tour at 2:15 and our ship leaves at 4.

I'm interested in the other stops on the citytour, just trying to figure out what the best way is to fit it all in. What all do you see on the tour and can any of it be seen by ourselves or is it too far to walk? I wish we were in Juneau longer.

When they open, call Gold Belt directly and get the operating hours for the tram. You may have time before your tour. If you get back downtown by 2:30pm, you could ride up the tram after Coastal.

If you pick up a walking tour map from the dock visitor center, you would see all the drive by stuff on the bus tour.

Ok, we may just skip the city tour and do our own walking tour. Can we walk to Chapel by the Lake? It just looks pretty.

We'll probably just book with Coastal in the afternoon, I will see if they can drop us off at Mendenhall. Thanks Budget Queen!

Yeah, the Chapel is over at Auke Bay at the other end of town.

Unlike most of the towns you'll visit in Alaska (Fairbanks and Anchorage being obvious exceptions), Juneau covers A LOT of square miles. Area-wise, it's one of the largest cities in America.

The town tour sounds like a pretty complete introduction to Juneau and should cover areas few tourists see...if you're into that kind of thing. The price sounds really good, from what little i know.

If you are early risers, i'd bet that an early-morning hike atop Mt. Roberts would be nice...if you're into that kind of thing.

Ok, we may just skip the city tour and do our own walking tour. Can we walk to Chapel by the Lake? It just looks pretty.

We'll probably just book with Coastal in the afternoon, I will see if they can drop us off at Mendenhall. Thanks Budget Queen!

I think the Tram starts operation about 8:00 AM or shortly after. You might think about reversing your schedule. 8:15 pick up for Coastal fly from 9:00 to 10:00 and back to the Tram at 10:30. Take the Tram and have lunch at the top. City and Glacier tour at 12:00 or 1:00.

OK, I think we are going to try and go to Mendenhall in the morning. Does anyone know what time the buses start running out there? From what I understand it's a 20 min bus ride there? About how long should we expect to spend there? We can skip the visitor's center unless it's something that's a must see and maybe just walk the photo point trail?

If we are back in town by 10 and then take Mt.Roberts tram and hike and eat lunch either at the top or somewhere in town would 2 hours be enough time so that we could then do a 12:00 coastal flight? We just wanted to do some light hiking, just enough to see some great views. Any recommendations here? Then we would have an hour or two to walk around town before getting back on board. Would this schedule be better?

sorry I can't answer your main question, but I can say the tram to Mt. Roberts is great!!! I didn't book it with my cruise line, I did it on my own. But, the ride up and down is very pretty, the hike around is great. I trailed a group and listened in on their guide's speech. During the hike we got to a point where you can see a gully between you and the other side of the trail. On the other side was a brown bear! just walking around, out in the open no fencing or any form of protection. He/she saw us, and decided we were food! The bear ran down through the gulley towards us!!! But it gave up in the middle. Great trip. Also there is a restaurant on the top, that is a little eccentric but has very good food.

Archived