New Port: NYC: Red Hook, Brooklyn

LauraS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Help!!!

I wrote down that there is a liquor store at 416 Van Brunt St, but now can't find the name of it (and am unsure if it exists). We're looking for a liquor store within walking distance of the pier (and in a safe neighborhood to walk in). We figured we'd check in and then go purchase a couple of bottles of wine.

Ok, I did more research: the liquor store at 416 Van Brunt is LaNell's and it looks like it is about 3/4 mile from the pier (very walkable in our estimation). Sorry for the post, hope someone else can use the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

smeyer418- Don't know if you are "still out there" monitoring this thread or not since the last post was Aug. 10th,but in case you are I wanted to tell you how MUCH I have ENJOYED reading your comments as people ask questions concerning the Red Hook cruise terminal and you give such GREAT specific answers to everybody!!:) Don't suppose you work for the Chamber of Commerce,do you?? If not,you DEFINITELY SHOULD!!:) You have such THOROUGH knowledge of "everything" concerning New York City it seems. "My hat is off" to you!!

Thanks... no I just like living here....There is at least one guy on the princess boards who thinks I am a "know it all"...its pretty funny because the issue he took issue on he was wrong....hey I learn loads from these boards....enjoy the day...:)

Hi there. It seems that you are truly the expert on getting to Red Hook. I have cruised out of Manhattan before but never from Red Hook. My husband and I along with my son and his girlfriend will be driving down from Cape Cod. Any tips on the best route there? I don't always trust Mapquest and some of the posts have indicated that the signage is not that good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We had a summer home is Westbrook CT so we drove down a lot from Conn. It used to be the the Merritt after New Haven was faster but the last few times 95 to the Whitestone was the fastest then to the LIE(495) towards Manhattan then to the BQE(west) towards Brooklyn to the Atlantic Avenue exit make the left and then the first right and just follow it around to the cruise terminal. We used to make Boston from our house in Brooklyn in just about 4 and 1/2 hours if that will help. Mapquest is pretty good how are they sending you...

I know you have answered many transportation questions, just one more please, we have no choice but to travel through Newark airport. We are arriving the night before and staying in Newark. Could you please give me any taxi info if you can from Newark. The town cars are quoting approx. $80-90 for 2 passengers to Red Hook. Any other options? We will have 2 fair size cruise bags and we do not want to do alot of heavy lifting, would it be less expensive to take Olympia Trails bus to Port Authority and then taxi in? If so do you know the cab fair from Port Authority. Thanks so much for your feedback, greatly appreciated!

I know you have answered many transportation questions, just one more please, we have no choice but to travel through Newark airport. We are arriving the night before and staying in Newark. Could you please give me any taxi info if you can from Newark. The town cars are quoting approx. $80-90 for 2 passengers to Red Hook. Any other options? We will have 2 fair size cruise bags and we do not want to do alot of heavy lifting, would it be less expensive to take Olympia Trails bus to Port Authority and then taxi in? If so do you know the cab fair from Port Authority. Thanks so much for your feedback, greatly appreciated!

the Cab fare from Port Authority which is at 40th street and eight avenue should be about $25.00 plus toll and tip...Try Arecibo in Brooklyn or Carmel and see how much they charge I have always paid less to or from EWR. Depending on traffic its only 30-45 minutes to an hour or more from EWR...

• 3 weeks later...

Few cabs this am when returning to the terminal after a cruise. Try to prearrange a car service. The pick up for them went the smoothest.

Self park was easy and this was the easiest cruise terminal I have even been through. No waiting blue self service carts that were plentiful and easy when coming off. We were called to get off the ship at 8:50 and were home by car service that we called after we finished with customs and immigration(we had a slow clerk) by 9:30...

• 2 weeks later...
Coming from the midtown hotels, would it be better to ask the driver to use the BQE or the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel? Cost range??

It depends on whether you are coming from the East side or Westside but in neither case should you use the BQE....

East side take the FDR(east side Highway) to the Brooklyn Bridge take the BB staight ahead to Atlantic Avenue, a right on Atlantic Avenue, a left at the end and follow the signs

West Side- take the West Street to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel Hamilton Avenue exit follow the signs.

Finally either way should cost about the same $25.00- $30.00 including toll and tip.

Hello

can anyone please help me with transportation from Port of Authority

to red hook pier? i have called many sources and to no avail found info.

how much is a cab ride from port of authority in manhattan to the pier?

how long is the ride? thanks .

the Cab fare from Port Authority which is at 40th street and eight avenue should be about $25.00 plus toll and tip from post #61 above. with no traffic 20 minutes(assuming going through the BrooklynBatteryTunnel) with traffic about 10-15 minutes more...

• 3 weeks later...
the Cab fare from Port Authority which is at 40th street and eight avenue should be about $25.00 plus toll and tip from post #61 above. with no traffic 20 minutes(assuming going through the BrooklynBatteryTunnel) with traffic about 10-15 minutes more...

Hello There.

Just an FYI.

Departed out of Manhat last spring parked our vehicle for I think 150.00

10 days. I believe that was the monthly rate cheaper than the per day.

This spring departing out of Red Hook. I am hoping there is parking.

Do you or any one have info on the Red Hook Terminal parking.

Much appreciated.

Have a great day.

:)

Hello There.

Just another cruiser planning:D

Much appreciated.

Have a great day.

Hello There.

Just another cruiser planning:D

Much appreciated.

Have a great day.

Manhattan is either 22.00 or 24.00 per day with a max of of $180.00. I think Brooklyn is 18.00 per day with also a maximum of $180.00. The Manhattan rate has been that for at least three years.

www.nypst.com for the Manhattan rates.

I know we have had discussions about this and while this may be an extreme example,

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NY_PLAYBOY_PLAYMATE_LAWSUIT_BAOL-?SITE=NYNYD&SECTION=MIDEAST&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

it shows what the NY TLC will do when a cabbie wrong and BTW this is clearly a kangaroo court(with my apologizes to Kangeroo's)...

Just the mere mention of the TLC will get the cabbie to comply...

This is within the 5 Boros and to Newark airport....

Manhattan is either 22.00 or 24.00 per day with a max of of $180.00. I think Brooklyn is 18.00 per day with also a maximum of $180.00. The Manhattan rate has been that for at least three years.

Thank you so much for the info.

Have a great weekend.

PS..Yes you are right it was 180.00 It was months ago and I could not recall exactly. I do know by the time I factored in exchange etc it was still worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived