First ever cruise on Paradise soon, any advice?

mike4goa

M wife and I will be embarking on our first ever cruise the second week of November on the Paradise (with balcony room)  and wonder if anyone who has been on the ship has any ship specific advice for us. Best time/place to eat?  Any favorite menu items?  Is there a nice view from the gym?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

To me she has a more elegant design over the other Fantasy class ships. Which is now part of history, other than Elation out of Jaxport. I have always stated in the past new cruisers should try the Fantasy class ships first then move on. If anything, enjoy the artistical structure of the ship. Less crowds, less stress. Soon to be just a myth when it comes to ship class. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The Paradise is one of the oldest/smallest cruise ships afloat right now. So you're starting off with basically how cruising used to be 30 years ago. If you have a good time on her, it's all upside from there. 

Hopefully we enjoy cruising as we have already booked a seven day Alaskan cruise next June.  It is on the NCL Bliss which I believe will hold around twice as many passengers as the Paradise.  

• Like 1

Paradise will be a good introduction to cruising and preparation for the larger ships which can be a bit overwhelming. We sailed her when she was brand new and again last year (of course she has been updated over the years).; she is still a beautiful ship.  We like the predictability of fixed dining - If you have Anytime Dining, you make your table request on the Carnival hub and they will let you know when your table is ready,  As and older ship, Paradise does not have a steakhouse or other upcharge restaurants so your choices are the MDR and the buffet/deli/grill. I find the food in the MDR to be very good, and you view the menus ahead of time on the Hub. We are not big on buffets but do enjoy the sandwiches from the deli, the Guys Burger and the tacos/burritos from the Blue Iguana, Happy cruising! 

• Like 1

My wife and I were on the Paradise in April and it was a fantastic trip. Great food, great service, and a great Cruise Director. Definitely go see the Love and Marriage show, eat plenty of Guy’s hamburgers and Blue Iguana tacos.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mike4goa said:

M wife and I will be embarking on our first ever cruise the second week of November on the Paradise (with balcony room)  and wonder if anyone who has been on the ship has any ship specific advice for us. Best time/place to eat?  Any favorite menu items?  Is there a nice view from the gym?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Use the VIP parking option at the port in Tampa if you’re driving in. I think it’s an extra $20, but very much worth the money.

• Like 3

Don’t miss the sail under the Skyway bridge.  Very cool.

if you like comedy or production shows, go early to get seats.

if you need a hotel room before or after the cruise, book it now. With so much flooding after the hurricane, occupancy and room rates are very high.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Don’t miss the sail under the Skyway bridge.  Very cool.

if you like comedy or production shows, go early to get seats.

if you need a hotel room before or after the cruise, book it now. With so much flooding after the hurricane, occupancy and room rates are very high.  

Thanks!  We do have a room reserved at the Hampton Inn.  We are looking forward to the family friendly comedy shows.  

• Like 1

We last were on the Paradise about 10 years ago (so this may have changed).  If you like Indian food be sure to have the vegan or vegetarian indian dish in the MDR at least once.  I had it 3 of 5 nights it was so good.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned above, she does not have all the amenities of a larger ship, but the friendly staff seems to overcome this. We have sailed her 6 times. Enjoyed every cruise. I also agree to view the sunshine skyway when departing, it appears you will hit the bridge! enjoy. 

• Like 1