Easter Island

Greg and Betsy

Hi

We are on the Onward in 2026 visiting Easter Island. I’m wondering if anyone has visited  here on another Azamara cruise and can tell me when the tenders started on the second morning, I.e. can you get onshore before sunrise?

Also on the last day there we are scheduled to leave at 1 pm. When was the last tender in relation to your departure time? 

I’m trying to setup some tours and need to make sure I can make it to them. 

We were there earlier this year on the Onward.  I don’t recall the specific time the tenders started the second day but am pretty sure they did not run in the dark.  Understand it’s a 50/50 chance that they will even be able to run tenders as large swells are common.  We have been five times and twice there were no landings at all.

With a 1:00 departure the last tenders from EI would be noon or earlier.

3 hours ago, Greg and Betsy said:

Hi

We are on the Onward in 2026 visiting Easter Island. I’m wondering if anyone has visited  here on another Azamara cruise and can tell me when the tenders started on the second morning, I.e. can you get onshore before sunrise?

Also on the last day there we are scheduled to leave at 1 pm. When was the last tender in relation to your departure time? 

I’m trying to setup some tours and need to make sure I can make it to them. 

Hi Greg and Betsy, I was on the first 2 segments of the 2024 world cruise on Onward.  We were at Easter Island from 08:00 hours, January 24 to 13:00 hours January 25.  Boarding the tenders was a challenge due to the unpredictable rise and fall of the ocean but with the assistance of a couple strong crew members I believe everyone who wanted to was able to get ashore on both days.  This was a great relief since we had heard sea conditions can be too rough to allow tendering operations.  Due to the aforementioned challenges and safety reasons I don't believe tendering can began until daylight on the second day.  As the attached image indicates the last tender back to the ship on the second day was at 12:30 hours.  I did meet several passengers who stayed on the island overnight so they could watch the sunrise and they were kind enough to share some of the photos they took.

We just grabbed a taxi in the morning and went to the Rano Kau volcanic crater and some other points of interest near Hanga Roa.  In the afternoon we went on a ship excursion to the Rapa Nui National Park.  On the second day I just explored around Hanga Roa on my own.

Enjoy your trip.  Easter Island is magnificent.

Regards,  Paul

image.thumb.jpeg.efa648e2a1c11ec8114d87bd8d5c4ed6.jpeg

image.jpeg

VWSX3954.JPG

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

We were there earlier this year on the Onward.  I don’t recall the specific time the tenders started the second day but am pretty sure they did not run in the dark.  Understand it’s a 50/50 chance that they will even be able to run tenders as large swells are common.  We have been five times and twice there were no landings at all.

With a 1:00 departure the last tenders from EI would be noon or earlier.

WOW, I thought I was bad for 0 for 1..  Hope you didn’t have to wait until the 4th time to make it ashore

1 hour ago, roberts2005 said:

WOW, I thought I was bad for 0 for 1..  Hope you didn’t have to wait until the 4th time to make it ashore

We missed the first and third.  I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to tender both days earlier this year onboard the Onward.  I did think it was risky for folks to spend the night ashore and rejoin the ship the next day.  If they couldn’t get back onboard they would have had to wait a week to rejoin the ship in Moorea.  

• Like 2