Returning Member

We haven't cruised since Covid - and since then have concluded that Rosyth is our best choice of departure port due to geographical convenience....a bit of a no brainer really 🤔 !!!

Southampton is a long ways away ............. going down the road is bad enough, the coming back is even worse. "Are we there yet ?"

Anyway............recently booked Fred's L2516 "French Rivers with Bordeaux and Normandy" for next summer, a big milestone event.

I expect Fred have done this route before, or a very similar itinerary - just wondered if any CC veterans of Fred have done it ?

On 10/2/2024 at 7:35 PM, WeeCountyMan said:

We haven't cruised since Covid - and since then have concluded that Rosyth is our best choice of departure port due to geographical convenience....a bit of a no brainer really 🤔 !!!

Southampton is a long ways away ............. going down the road is bad enough, the coming back is even worse. "Are we there yet ?"

Anyway............recently booked Fred's L2516 "French Rivers with Bordeaux and Normandy" for next summer, a big milestone event.

I expect Fred have done this route before, or a very similar itinerary - just wondered if any CC veterans of Fred have done it ?

Yes I have and it’s an amazing cruise. It was a slightly different itinerary last time but most ports are the same.

As you spend a lot of the time going down the rivers there is little to no chance of being seasick which is a bonus.

In Rouen we berthed slightly out of the town, it was perfectly walkable for me but I’m an able and keen walker. Fred put on a shuttle as well right into the evening. There is so much to see in town and some amazing restaurants including the oldest one in France which is opposite where Joan of Arc was burned (and it was open when it happened).

Bordeaux we again docked right in the city centre so it was a short walk to anything (except the big cite du vin which is further out). There is a berth beyond the bridge but hopefully you will be in luck and get the central one. Again an amazing city with lots to see and do.

Just ask if there is anything you want to know and I’ll see if Incan help.

3 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Thanks for this.

Let me think on what I'm needing to ask.

I might not be able to get back to you immediatly  as I won’t have WiFi for the next week or so but I will answer.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I have and it’s an amazing cruise. It was a slightly different itinerary last time but most ports are the same.

As you spend a lot of the time going down the rivers there is little to no chance of being seasick which is a bonus.

In Rouen we berthed slightly out of the town, it was perfectly walkable for me but I’m an able and keen walker. Fred put on a shuttle as well right into the evening. There is so much to see in town and some amazing restaurants including the oldest one in France which is opposite where Joan of Arc was burned (and it was open when it happened).

Bordeaux we again docked right in the city centre so it was a short walk to anything (except the big cite du vin which is further out). There is a berth beyond the bridge but hopefully you will be in luck and get the central one. Again an amazing city with lots to see and do.

Just ask if there is anything you want to know and I’ll see if Incan help.

We have booked a very similar cruise on Balmoral from Southampton in May next year.  Can I please ask if you remember what time the shuttle buses stopped on Rouen?  We will likely want to be out fairly late, but if it is walkable for you, I assume a taxi back would not be a problem anyway.

Will be out first Fred cruise since last December 2023, so will be interesting what we will feel about that.  We are really not keen on the other Fred ships, so glad to get back to one we have previously enjoyed.

Hope you enjoy your current cruise.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

We went on the Braemar to Bordeaux, Seville, Aviles, Vigo & Rouen in June 2017. In Rouen, we watched the light show at the cathedral then waited to get the shuttle back back to the ship (it wasn’t walkable). It took ages to arrive and there was quite a crowd waiting. I can’t remember if it had to make one or two trips. That would’ve been about 11pm I think.

Reagards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tring said:

We have booked a very similar cruise on Balmoral from Southampton in May next year.  Can I please ask if you remember what time the shuttle buses stopped on Rouen?  We will likely want to be out fairly late, but if it is walkable for you, I assume a taxi back would not be a problem anyway.

Will be out first Fred cruise since last December 2023, so will be interesting what we will feel about that.  We are really not keen on the other Fred ships, so glad to get back to one we have previously enjoyed.

Hope you enjoy your current cruise.

If memory serves the last shuttle was 10.30 for 11pm at the ship.

We went in to see the light show ( as per comments from @Leither) and as it was not too far to walk (for us anyway but we are very keen walkers and fairly fit) so a taxi would not be prohibitive and they were available.

• Thanks 1

@tring can I highly recommend La Couranne the restaurant which I mentioned above. You need to book in advance,  it is the middle of the town opposite the Joan of Arc Catherdral along from the clock tower. Excellent French food in a lovely setting.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

@tring can I highly recommend La Couranne the restaurant which I mentioned above. You need to book in advance,  it is the middle of the town opposite the Joan of Arc Catherdral along from the clock tower. Excellent French food in a lovely setting.

Will look into the restaurant, thanks for the advice.

Thanks also to you and Leither for replies about the shuttle buses.

8 hours ago, tring said:

Will look into the restaurant, thanks for the advice.

Thanks also to you and Leither for replies about the shuttle buses.

According to Google Maps, it’s a 45 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the cathedral.

3 hours ago, Leither said:

According to Google Maps, it’s a 45 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the cathedral.

Thanks a lot, 45 mins would make it walkable for us, depending what we had been doing that day.  However Google maps tends to be a lot more optimistic on all travel times than turns out to be the case, so a taxi sounds in order, as long as we can find one.  Standing in a queue can be worse than walking for me, so not worth a wait.

26 minutes ago, tring said:

Thanks a lot, 45 mins would make it walkable for us, depending what we had been doing that day.  However Google maps tends to be a lot more optimistic on all travel times than turns out to be the case, so a taxi sounds in order, as long as we can find one.  Standing in a queue can be worse than walking for me, so not worth a wait.

Agree about Google Maps being optimistic, plus there’s always the chance of taking a wrong turning. 

• Thanks 1