Start in Mumbai or Singapore

dcbiker97

I posted a similar question on the Celebrity boards. Celebrity offers basically the same cruise going in different directions from Mumbai to Singapore. All ship things being equal, would you rather board in Mumbai or Singapore?  Thinking through flights/customs, etc.  

Edited by dcbiker97

3 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

I posted a similar question on the Celebrity boards. Celebrity offers basically the same cruise going in different directions from Mumbai to Singapore. All ship things being equal, would you rather board in Mumbai or Singapore?  Thinking through flights/customs, etc.  

As detailed below in my live/blog, I can offer some background for the many, many options in India, Singapore and the potential stops/ports between these two special locations.  

But, it would be very helpful to know much more about your personal interests, travel history, where coming from and flying back to, etc., etc.  First time for visiting these areas?  Singapore is fascinating and amazing, but there is much more to consider and do in and around exotic/historic India.  Tell us more!!  I can, without more background you, provide somepro/con factors in both directions.  With more background from you, we could better respond and share more.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

India to Singapore 2024:  Live/Blog over 22,563+ views with many visuals, including for “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

Edited by TLCOhio

Hi Terry  I always have enjoyed your posts.  You’ve helped in planning several of my cruises over the years, especially our Israel/Egypt cruise that unfortunately got diverted last year.

We’re flying from either DC (where we live) or JFK. Either direction, I know we’d spend 2 or 3 days in Singapore and a day in Mumbai.  My partner has travelled all over those area extensively (but not through the commercial airports).  I was looking for ease of getting in/out and transportation/ customs/immigration ease more so than tourist areas. Might be an oddball question I’m asking. 

Edited by dcbiker97

20 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

Hi Terry  I always have enjoyed your posts.  You’ve helped in planning several of my cruises over the years, especially our Israel/Egypt cruise that unfortunately got diverted last year.  We’re flying from either DC (where we live) or JFK. Either direction, I know we’d spend 2 or 3 days in Singapore and a day in Mumbai.  My partner has travelled all over those area extensively (but not through the commercial airports).  I was looking for ease of getting in/out and transportation/ customs/immigration ease more so than tourist areas. Might be an oddball question I’m asking. 

Super appreciate your very kind comments, learning that my post have been helpful.  Good follow-up info from you.  

Clearly from DC and Dulles, you have many airline options, including with flights going through the Middle East, Turkey, etc.  Given the variations in travel experiences with your partner having done so much and you much less, much of this is a "personal decision/choice" for what fits best to your style/desires.  

My gut is that either can work, both reasonably somewhat equal.  Of course, it's a long, long ways to Mumbai (8000 miles) and Singapore (9650 miles).  Given the long, long flights to get there and the large number of time zone changes, you might want your cruise starting point to be . . . after you have had the maximum time to arrive ahead of time, get rested and re-orienting your body clock, etc. Visa and getting into Singapore is very easy, while India is more complicated.  BUT, you will have to do the India Visa complications in advance via the web whether your cruise starts or ends in Mumbai.  

In summary, without knowing your travel style, loves and interests, I would rate the routing options to be fairly or somewhat similar.  The bigger questions might also include timing questions as you want to avoid the rainy seasons for India and parts of SE Asia.  Also, in going east-to-west or west-to-east, check as to if the pricing and availabilities are a better value for one way versus the other.  

If you have not been to India, I would encourage you considering your many options there as their culture, architecture, history, food, etc., are totally unique and very interesting.  

Need more?  Other questions?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 255,189 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Thanks. Thats about where I landed. We’d be doing business class over and at the end of the day, destinations being equal the going to either first won’t make that big of a difference for what I’d like to see.  We did Australia a few years back so I’m familiar with those long flights. 

Best, Chris 

Edited by dcbiker97