Picture-A-Week 2024 - Week 42

Pictures taken between Monday, October 14 and Sunday, October 20.

Fall is falling! in the 70°s this week. 

The fall colors are beautiful...at least the ones in the photos I took while we briefly lived in Georgia. Still mostly green here.

Hope your views are better!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

While this picture was not taken this week, I am one week away from sailing on Symphony of the Sea out of Cape Liberty NJ and later the following week will hopefully be passing this lighthouse again on our arrival into Nassau Bahamas. I am interested to see what work is being done on this peninsula that separates the harbor from the sea, where Royal is supposedly making a new Beach Day Excursion area out of this land. Will post pictures later showing progress.

image.thumb.jpeg.37c9c02beba3e4ec6d8ca031b05a89b2.jpeg

• Like 3

Another couple of pictures not from this week, but from a Halloween Week Cruise in 2011, so same month LOL.

These two shots, while not standing out from a photography point of view, especially the first one taken on an Iphone 5 I believe and not sharp or composed in any way, but more for documenting. Both photos are from a Sailing on NCL Jewel from Manhattan, NY on Saturday October, 29th.

The first shot shows the inch of slush and somewhat still falling snow we received during this Embarkation Day. This is one of, if not the earliest snowfalls we have received in this area that I can ever recall and there ended up by sailaway 4 hours later being a good two and a half inches of snow and slush on each deck chair and outer deck that the staff were having to shovel / squeegee off the deck. While sailing from NY anytime later than September / October can be quite cool, this was exceptionally cold and wet for this time of the year.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7416cca57306e6f7905a5817f758d29.jpeg

Contrasting the first picture was the next capture on my then new Sony Nex-5N camera several mornings later of Mrs. Seadog67 enjoying the morning view and Aft Wake from our infrequent Aft Balcony Cabin. This one is actually one of the mornings on our return sailing north on our way back to NY. 

image.thumb.jpeg.da9c5de3d44ddf42a4fbc6ee6db0f0c0.jpeg

• Like 2

Snapped today 10-20 on my daily walk in the park, this stand of Norway Maples stood out in bright Yellow / Orange Hues highlighted by the morning sun on our still cloudless days that seem to have extended forever recently. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d3ff57ca24fa52c3dbc5d6b59285c3fa.jpeg

Edited by seadog67
Spelling
  • Like 3

Our usual four seasons here in SoCal are Spring, Summer, Still Summer and Fire. This year we have inserted a week or so of actual Fall with mild weather and sunshine. I don't know how long it will last but I am taking advantage of it by restarting some outdoor projects stalled by months of death-heat. On the other hand, our recreation for the week involved nothing in the way of walking amongst the fall colors or maybe a picnic. Instead we spent Sunday morning sitting in a sub-40° climate watching Matthew’s team doing that hockey thing. Not complaining, mind you, the games are faster, more strategic and just plain exciting that in the past and Matthew has shown a real talent for the sport. I hope the lovely weather holds, his sister has a skating competition next week.

Hard Charge

2024-42HardCharge.thumb.jpg.fd3779a2f3bbf61a63ed22a3bd7804ac.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

@pierces Great action shot! I also checked out your site with the picture a week and love that idea and will be starting something similar to document weekly highlights. I will not have a posting place like you do, but will do so for my internal review years down the road keeping them in a blog like format somewhere yet to be determined.

Thoroughly enjoyed looking over this years weeks and your commentary on each photo. Great stuff!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, seadog67 said:

@pierces Great action shot! I also checked out your site with the picture a week and love that idea and will be starting something similar to document weekly highlights. I will not have a posting place like you do, but will do so for my internal review years down the road keeping them in a blog like format somewhere yet to be determined.

Thoroughly enjoyed looking over this years weeks and your commentary on each photo. Great stuff!

If you look HERE in the archive section, you will see the pages of the books I create with the previous year's set every January using Blurb. Instead of using their templates, I made my own to fit the 2-page photo spread and have been able to maintain the format for all 12 years. No need to have a website, just a bookcase! 

The books are really nice. Great quality.

Have fun with your PAW project!

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pierces said:

If you look HERE in the archive section, you will see the pages of the books I create with the previous year's set every January using Blurb. Instead of using their templates, I made my own to fit the 2-page photo spread and have been able to maintain the format for all 12 years. No need to have a website, just a bookcase! 

The books are really nice. Great quality.

Have fun with your PAW project!

Dave

Thank you for this. Love the layout you have in the Archives.  I am definitely borrowing this idea and I imagine I will enjoy looking back after several years at the pictures and commentary I write reliving those moments in time that I capture.  Thank you again and well done for being so diligent and keeping with it all this time!

• Like 1