handicap room with sofa

paml

My son can only use a sofa to sleep on when he is away from his adjustable bed at home. The back of the sofa helps him balance and provides support. Does anyone know which ships have sofas in the lower priced handicap rooms without going to a suite? Is there anywhere you can see pictures of the handicap rooms?

Thanks.

I assume you mean a sleep sofa. We had sleep sofas in our outside cabin on the Celebrity Infinity and our inside cabin on the NCL Sky (now the Pride of Aloha.) Our outside cabins on the Splendour of the Seas and 2 of the RCCL Radiance class ships (Radiance and Serenade) had sofas, but I do not believe that they were sleep sofas.

My experience w/Celeb. handi. rooms omits the sofa for more wheelchair manouvorability(sp?). I'd advise talking to the company directly when you find a ship & itinerary you like. Good Luck.

Some RCCL ships have sofa beds in accessible cabins that can accomodate 3-4 people, and the Grand class on Princess has some inside rooms that do as well. Most ships that have accessible cabins for more than 2 use either roll-away beds (HAL) or bunk beds though (Princess, Celebrity, etc.).

Keep in mind though that they are lower than a regular bed, and may not be as accessible as the beds. Most of the beds can be easily set up so that he can lean against the wall as well. We nearly always have the steward re-arrange the furniture to improve the access for us.

You can see an RCCL Vision of the Seas accessible cabin here: http://www.cgta.com/

We had inside wheelchair accessible cabins with a pull-out sofa on both the Explorer of the Seas (9557) and the Voyager of the Seas (9561), which my son used. We're booked on NCL Dawn in 10711, an inside accessible cabin for May which also has a pull-out sofa for my son.

We just booked a handicapped inside on the Star Princess (E717) which I understand has a sofa bed for the third guest. The deck plans in neither the brochure nor online indicate that a third person can be accomodated in that cabin but our TA booked it for three of us so I assume this one does have a sofa bed in the "sitting" area rather than chairs.

We have had HC cabins -- balcony cabins, not suites, on HAL Vista ships [Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam] and have always had a couch in our room.

HAL's ship services has a staff to deal with accessibility issues, and we have had nothing but helpful, friendly people who are willing to go the extra mile.

That includes a willingness to send us digital photos of the cabins we are interested in, so DH can assess the level of accessibility and if they meet his needs.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I am keeping a log of this information. So the more info I can receive on this, the better. Unfortunately, my son uses just the sofa not the bed part, he needs the back of the sofa to brace himself as he sleeps. A recliner or rollaway won't do either. We looked into renting an adjustable bed thru CareVacations and others but they charge an arm and a leg as everyone knows everything is more expensive for handicap equipment. The last cruise he went on was Disney and it was wonderful, the whole set up of the room was perfect. Now, if we could just get that on every ship............:) We are so looking forward to our next cruise.

Thank you all!

Archived