Digital Cameras..Best Batteries?

pcboston

Hi all,

I just read through the thread on digital cameras...I bought my first one last summer to use on my next cruise. I don't take that many pictures except on vacation and every time I go to use the camera, it is dead! I bought this camera at a camera store....its the Nikon 4600, and they told me I should get the rechargable ones and they don't last at all. Now I'm afraid to take this on my upcoming cruise. I even went back to the store and asked, they insisted that the rechargables are the best, but what good is that if they run out all the time? I'm about ready to buy another 35mm....and I know those will probably be obsolete soon. I love the size of the digital and the ability to weed out the bad pictures. Could someone with experience please tell me a good battery type to buy and do the lithium ones really work longer? I'm willing to pay more for a battery that will get me through the trip...no film costs with the digital and I bought a 512 size memory card so that should hold all the pictures. Thanks so much for any advice here, I've been getting discouraged. Happy sails........

I've usually used the Energizer Lithium e2 and it seems to last better than the alkaline batteries. I have a 512MB card as well and this battery is pretty good.

Although recently, I have been using the rechargable batteries. I'm not sure which ones you have used in the past but I purchased mine at Radio Shack and with a re-charger for a little over $22. I've used them for almost a year now. The best thing is it charges in only 15 mins. My batteries seem to last longer and they are very easy to recharge.

Good Luck!

Lisa

The down side of re-chargable batteries is that they begin to lose their charge as soon as they're removed from the charger. So if you have some "charged up" batteries and you carry them around in your camera case for a couple of weeks, their charge is way down if not entirely gone. Another thing is that the batteries last longer if they're charged from completely dead. Some chargers have the ability to dump the current charge before re-charging. If you're going to go with re-chargeables, definitely go for that kiind of charger OR a charger in which you can leave the batteries and they're kept fully charged with a trickle charge. I use re-chargables, and also carry Energizer e2 Lithiums in case my re-chargables run out while I'm still shooting. I get about 500 shots at highest resolution with them. Because those batteries don't lose their charge unless they're being used, I remove them and replace them with the re-charged batteries when I have a chance.

Thanks so much to both of you for the quick reply. I'm going to pick up a couple of sets of the Energizer Lithium E2 batteries before my cruise in May and probably bring along the rechargables just for back-up. This is all very new to me....my 35mm used a lithium battery and I hardly ever had to replace it. I do realize that a digital camera uses so much more power, though. I hope I can learn to enjoy my digital as much as everyone else seems to. I do love the size of it...really light to carry. Thanks again.

I also use rechargeable batteries for my digital camera.

At Sam's Club, for about $20, I got 8 AA Energizer batteries (Nickel Metal Hydride) and a compact charger. The "prongs" that plug into the outlet fold flat for travel.

Prior to my 15 day January cruise, I fully charged all 8 batteries. I took the charger along, and whenever I replaced batteries, I recharged them as soon as we got back on the ship. I always carried 2 spare batteries with me, so I knew I'd not have a problem. I took over 240 photos during the 15 days, and only had to replace the batteries once, despite carrying the camera with me almost constantly.

Just wanted to let other digital camera users know about this option.

yes the energizer E2 are the best.. .the lithium ones or whatever.. i think they were like 10$ for 2 or 4.. but we used them in our nikon4600 and we have taken over 200 pics with the same batteries... havent changed them yet at all,, i couldnt believe how good these were....

My wife and I both use a digital camera, not only on land but while snorkeling and diving too. I also have an underwater flash that uses batteries, so we go through batteries a lot. This is what I use and where I buy them from.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_2500_rechargeable_batteries.php

The 2500mah batteries are almost half again as strong as the typical rechargeable that you can buy. Mine are still going strong after two consecutive scuba dives, which usually last about 1 hour each.

I have 5 sets of these rechargables, and take them and two battery chargers with me when I travel. Batteries are removed from the cameras and flash every day and recharged.

Be sure you're buying nickle metal hydride batteries (NMH) because they don't have a memery factor like Ni-Cad.

Archived