?'s and advice sought for cruise; 2 adults, 1 22mo

eranbob

Hi

The first (and last) time I cruised was back in '82 on NCL's SS Norway. Since it seems that the cruise industry has taken it to an entirely different level, and since my family situation has dramatically changed, I'm in need of some advice. We would like to get the best deal as far as fares

are concerned, while not sacrificing the experience too much.

1) what cruise lines are best for toddlers? Ours will be 22mo in early August when my wife and I plan to cruise. I have heard that DCL and NCL are good, any other ideas? Any recomendations on ships of a given line?

2) Is it best to book now, or wait closer to the departure date (early to mid Aug)? If later, how much later is a good rule of thumb? An inside cabin guarantee is OK with us, unless there is a good reason not to do this.

3) Is there a charge for the 22mo? While reading several threads, I got the impression that there was not, but I just wanted to confirm one way or another.

4) any recomendations for obtaining reservations at excellent prices, but reliable service? Should we seek out the services of a local (NM) TA?

Thanks for any opinions, info!:)

Bob

Bob,

I've heard that Disney is expensive. I don't know personally. I would suggest calling some of the cruise lines for prices and information. Tell them you are not ready to book, but you will keep them in mind. Take down their name. We cruised with Carnival in Sept. 2004 and booked directly through them. Our Carnival agent still e-mails us with specials. Our first cruise was to Bermuda in October 2003, and we booked directly with the cruise line on that too. Their agents are good, know the ships first hand and can give you all the advice you need. I'm thinking a 22 month old (almost 2 yrs) would be active and want to do a lot. You would probably do well with a nice pool on board. Celebrity Zenith did not have a good pool. They had 2 small ones that were deep enough for adults. They had some hot tubs, but that's not good for little kids. Carnival Fascination on the other hand did have some places a small child could play in water. Carnival is a little more laid back. A lot depends on where you want to go, and keeping in mind that August is in the hurricane season. Our Carnival cruise to Nassau turned out to be 3 days on the high seas because of hurricane Jeanne.

If you're not already booked for this August, you could very well have a difficult time finding anything available, so don't wait until the last minute. August is one of the most popular times to cruise and ships are going out at 102% of capacity (that means that even the triple and quad rooms are fully booked making it higher than 100%).

Disney is probably the most expensive of all the mass market cruise lines, so if economy is a concern, then that line might be out for you. Also, at 22 months of age, your child won't be able to go into any kid's programs. The minimum age for most cruise lines and their kid's clubs is age 3. A couple have programs for age 2, but even then, at 22 months your child isn't eligible for a program. So, in the end, I don't think your decision needs to be based on what cruise lines are toddler friendly, as it really doesn't make a difference in what ship you choose. Also, non-toilet trained kids are not allowed in any pools, not even in swim diapers. One thing some lines offer is group babysitting, from 10pm to 2am. There is an hourly charge for that service. But most, if not all, cruise lines offer late night sitting for infants and those under age 2.

So I guess what I'm saying is to base your cruise choice on what you and your wife might like the best. But, book now, or you might not find anything available.

You might find a pretty good deal on a Disney cruise, if you cruise off season, I think August is still high season. Sometimes kids 2 and under cruise free, they don't have a kids camp for the under 3 year olds, but Disney has Flounder Nursery, a pay per use babysitting place.

Check them out, along with other lines.

Hi Kitty. See you are going with a 22 month old child and would suggest Norwegian Dawn, as we were just on it and they have a great play are at the back of the ship, with a couple of children,s pools, slides etc. so you would be able to go and get in the pool there with your child. We had a 3-1/2 yr. old grandson and he loved it. Also Norwegian is now all freestyle cruising, which means you can go and eat at any time in the evening, no set time, from 5:30pm on, so this may be good for you with a young child.

carnival camp program allows kids to be 2 by the date of sailing. So if you can wait a few months to cruise so you can get good quiet time alone I would wait. (carnival even changes diapers)

other cruiselines your child needs to be three in order to participate. Royal the kids need to be potty trained and zero accidents.

norweign also has good prices for kids under 2 where they only pay port and givernment taxes but I doubt that will be the case for a summer sailing in August. You will proably pay full 3rd passenger rate for your toddler

Archived