Balcony In Hull vs Glassed in

dalebo

We will be on the QM@ for the November London to Ft. Lauderdale. We have to have a balcony.... Which would you recommend... in hull or glassed in.

Also I don't understand the dining tie in with cabin.. Thanks for help!

We will be on the QM@ for the November London to Ft. Lauderdale. We have to have a balcony.... Which would you recommend... in hull or glassed in.

You will get all sorts of opinions as to which balcony to choose. We have been quite happy with in hull, but others can't stand them! You cannot look at the sea when using the loungers in the in hull type, and you get less sun. If you are a sun lizard, then either opt for a glass type or if you don't mind having to go to another deck, you can always use the "public" loungers around the ship. With the in hull balcony you get far more privacy and they are generally far less drafty when under way.

If you opt for a "grill" class cabin, the balcony will be larger than those for the Britannia (both glass and in hull).

Queens grill staterooms are the largest, then Princess grill, and then the Brittania class. Brittania dinner is split over two sittings, whilst the Grills have open sitting, so that you are not so restricted timewise as to when to eat. The grills have a wider choice, although Brittania offers serval choices for each course. Don't forget that you also have Kings Court for eating, as well as various other fooderies!

At the end of the day, it is personal preference. Some will love one and hate the other. You will have learn to read between the lines and then to make up your own mind!;)

We will be on this crossing with you.

We crossed last November from Southampton to New York in a glass balcony cabin on deck 11 port side (even number cabins). This side gets the sun almost all day if there is any! We were lucky enough to have sun the first couple of days out of Southampton but after that it was dull and foggy, but what can you expect at that time of year on the north Atlantic!

This year we will again be on the port side in a restricted view cabin on deck 8, hopefully not too obscured as we have choosen a cabin that is behind the smallest lifeboat, lets hope our gamble pays off. The cabin layout will be exactly the same as we had last time and we were well satisfied with it.

We are staying on for the 2 week "Carribbean Adventure" cruise after we arrive in Ft. Lauderdale so choosing this type of cabin has saved us a great deal over the 3 week trip.

Counting down the days already!

Mark & Steve

Hello Dalebo....Welcome to the Cunard forum. You will certainly get a lot of differing views on this subject. It all comes down to personal desires. Mine is to sit up in bed and see the ocean...no obstructions. Will you also be continuing on as Solboys are doing for the Caribbean segment? If so, we will be on the Dec 2nd sailing just for the one week. We have a very active Roll Call already going for this sailing and it's got a lot of helpful tips. Solboys were also kind enough to post a photo of their previous cabin on Deck 11 as that's where we will be sailing. I think you will find it will give you a very good idea of how it will feel to be in the see thru balcony cabins. I know I was thrilled.

You will find this Roll Call on the message board page...scroll down and look for "roll Calls- all other ships"...look here for the Dec 2nd thread started by "imacruiser". The photo is on one of the last couple of pages. Let me know if you have trouble finding it...I did the first time too!

We chose this category because we absolutely loved the look and feel of the Britannia dining room...so elegant and gracious. You do have to deal with 2 sittings but I personally didn't find this to be a concern.

Good luck with your choice...you'll find there are many helpful people here to answer questions for you and lots of good advice (and some not so good) on the older threads. Be sure to read the one about things to do on the QM2...it'll really get you excited. Cheers, Penny

We're booked on Penny's cruise on the Dec 2/06 Southern Caribbean Liner. We also happen to have the in-hull balcony. I can see where some disappointment can come from it so I think its a matter of what you are used to and your expectations. I would personally love to do a glass balcony but I am quite satisfied to start with an in-hull balcony as all my previous cruises were in outside cabins with windows only. So for me this is a step up.

Yes, you cannot sit down in the lounger and look out at the ocean. I figure I'll just stand and look out my hole in the side of the ship with drink in hand. I think Penny made a good choice but I'm okay with the extra effort I have to make to see the ocean.

Ok I was not going to put my 2 cents in but here it is- we were on the Jan 2004 inaguaral Caribbean Sailing in an in hull balcony cabin and we did not like it at all- I had to stand on the chair (ok I'm short) to see out- this December we are sailing in an obstructed view cabin and have also, not wanting to spend the unobstructed view price, booked one with the smaller lifeboat in front- we also like to sit in the room and be able to see the water- like stated above, this is just the opinion of one couple-also depends a lot on your financial situation

Dalebo, If price is no object, I would recommend that you go with the glassed in balcony. However, on a transatlantic voyage, it is often too cold and windy to really enjoy a balcony. Many people have posted that they really enjoyed the in hull balcony on transatlantics. The hull blocks some of the wind. You state that you are traveling from London to Ft. Lauderdale, so assume you are disembarking in Fort Lauderdale.

Others have answered your question about the dining quite well. If you have any additional questions, please ask. Happy sailing!

Molly, this is very early for a roll call. The December 2 group is an unusually enthusiastic group and have a great roll call going. I'm sure others going with you will post closer to the sail date. Have a wonderful time on the QM2. As you know, she is a beautiful ship.

We have had both types of balconies and by far our favorite is the glass balcony. But, if you can get one of the good "obstructed" balconies, it would be cheaper than the hull balconies. By good, I mean those with some view like the the first or last one in the row the lifeboats, behind the small boat, or some even "between" the boats. Our experience was that balconies are great on cruises, but not really usefull on a crossing, except to glance at the water or harbor occaisionally. What is nice with a glass balcony is having a view without opening a door to the cold, or standing up to look out. An obstructed cabin with a great view (about 1 meter of the balcony was blocked by the davit and boat) was 8013, the first cabin on the forward starboard row of lifeboats. I would think the corresponding one one the other side would be good, too. And those at the opposite ends as well. On windy days, however, saltspray can blow up on the the balconies.

Have a great trip

Rick

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=548232658&key=wuXvlQ

We were on QM2 for the Fall Splendors cruise last year..in an in-hull balcony. I think if you are doing the "crossing" it would be fine..based on the fact that I think the weather might not be that great...(and it was OK for us on the New England cruise) But if I was doing a warm climate cruise I would want a "glass" balcony for sure! I just met a Princess rep last night at an event at my TA's and he said they are changing the name to "sheltered balcony"...LuAnn

We have had both types of balconies and by far our favorite is the glass balcony. But, if you can get one of the good "obstructed" balconies, it would be cheaper than the hull balconies. By good, I mean those with some view like the the first or last one in the row the lifeboats, behind the small boat, or some even "between" the boats. Our experience was that balconies are great on cruises, but not really usefull on a crossing, except to glance at the water or harbor occaisionally. What is nice with a glass balcony is having a view without opening a door to the cold, or standing up to look out. An obstructed cabin with a great view (about 1 meter of the balcony was blocked by the davit and boat) was 8013, the first cabin on the forward starboard row of lifeboats. I would think the corresponding one one the other side would be good, too. And those at the opposite ends as well. On windy days, however, saltspray can blow up on the the balconies.

Have a great trip

Rick

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=548232658&key=wuXvlQ

FANTASTIC PHOTOS!!!THANK YOU!!!!!

Thanks for the help on the glassed in vs. in hull balcony. I think I will opt for the B1 in hull balcony on deck 6.

Unless...

I can figure out the best balcony on deck 8 (obsctucted). They appear to be glassed in and if you can get a nice view... all the better.

Hi

I took a panoramic 360 photo of a "hullhole" during my last cruise. You'll need Java enabled to view the image.

http://www.jackatsea.com/hull-hole-qm2/hullhole.html

As you'll see, they are very enclosed.

My best advice is to have a deck plan handy when booking either with a TA or Cunard. Make sure your allocated cabin is at least 5 doors away from any laundry rooms and most importantly NOT opposite a stairway door. Double check your cabin doesn't have a connecting door if you want privacy, as the door acts like a sound amplifier.

Given the chance again, I'd have opted for a slightly more expensive cabin on deck 10 rather than flight upgrades.

Hope you have a great time.

Jack

Thanks for the video.... it helps.... I was thinking the "Hull Hole" but now I am not sure.

There's no comparison - go for the glassed-in balcony! I think of a cargo freight ship whenever I see the in-hull balcony instead of a luxurious oceanliner! We were in 11088, and it was wonderful!

We are in 10092 next summer. Does anyone know what type of balcony this is? I assumed that all the balconies were open.

According to the deck plan, 10092 is a Queen's Penthouse. You can be sure that it's not a hull balcony!

What is a hull balcony?

If you look at a picture of the ship, you'll see that the glassed-in balconies are only on the upper decks of the ship. The rest of the ship is covered in steel. In order to have a balcony in these lower decks, a hole has to be cut into the steel to create an opening, and it is not as large as the doorwall, but rather it is open from the waist/chest high. Look at the video provided by "jackatsea" on Monday, 4/4/06 at 3:26 PM, and you'll see a hull balcony.

Archived