Get off ship and walk around in port (after checking in)?

Marialivia

We are booked on the Amsterdam for its 6/12 Baltic cruise, which departs from Copenhagen at about 5 p.m. As we will be arriving at the airport fairly early in the day, is it possible to get off the ship and walk around the area for awhile? For example, if we have lunch around noon, we will have several hours in port before departure. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks again. ML:o

I seem to recall a bus, but it's been almost 5 years. There might be a way to look up Copenhagen and then transit or bus?????? So far as the ship goes, as long as you're back before the time due and muster, there shouldn't be any problem. Nancy

I had wondered about this too....not exactly Copenhagen :rolleyes: but we're leaving from FLL and plan to be onboard early in the day....we thought maybe we'd go back off the ship and find a store to buy drinks for the fridge and maybe some munchies for the room...is this possible at this port? are munchies available on board? ( thinking peanuts, chips, etc )

As mentioned before, the ship docks quite a distance from the downtown area, even the outskirts. You can probably take a cab and ask them to take you to a supermarket but may not be worth it. If you just want snacks, bring them with you if you have room in your luggage. Or pick things up in the airport in Copenhagen if the prices are right or wait until your next port of call.

I had wondered about this too....not exactly Copenhagen :rolleyes: but we're leaving from FLL and plan to be onboard early in the day....we thought maybe we'd go back off the ship and find a store to buy drinks for the fridge and maybe some munchies for the room...is this possible at this port? are munchies available on board? ( thinking peanuts, chips, etc )
Yes, you can do this in FLL :)

There is really nothing to walk to from the port area. You would need to take a cab, and it won't be cheap, to get where there's really anything to see.

If the ship docks where we saw ships on our "land" trip to Copenhagen, it's worth getting off just to walk along the waterfront, and possibly see the Little Mermaid. We walked from the ship area to our hotel in Nyhaven, so for us there was a lot within walking distance of the ships. I guess it depends on whether you're a big walker, as we both are.

If the ship docks where we saw ships on our "land" trip to Copenhagen, it's worth getting off just to walk along the waterfront, and possibly see the Little Mermaid. We walked from the ship area to our hotel in Nyhaven, so for us there was a lot within walking distance of the ships. I guess it depends on whether you're a big walker, as we both are.

We too have stayed both at Nyhaven and also closer to the Palace and each time we have walked to the dock in the morning to make sure our ship was there. We love walking and I think it only took between 15-20 minutes.

You would be able to see the Royal Palace, the Cathedral, the little Mermaid and walk along Nyhaven which is a great tourist attraction. This would only take an hour or so and if you board around 11.30am which we did last time, you could have lunch on board and then have a couple of hours in which to take in the sights. Usually the ship leaves at 5pm so I would aim to be back on board around 4pm.

Enjoy your cruise and also Copenhagen, it is a great city. :) :)

Jennie

I'm still trying to picture the location. It's been a few years. But I do remember that Langeline Pier is not far from The Little Mermaid. However, we were at a pier further out. Our taxi driver stopped at Langeline first, but was told our ship was at the other location. So it will depend on just where your ship will be.

I agree with Jennie. Afterall, we were on the same Noordam sailing, Copenhagen to Rome, a few years ago. The ship was docked at Langeline, a short stroll from the little mermaid. In fact, I was on the ship to drop off my luggage and off again within twenty minutes. Even if you are at another pier, the taxi may be worth the cost if this is your only opportunity to spend time in Copenhagen. Enjoy your cruise!

Steve

Archived