Where do you keep yoru Passport,etc...?

RDH618

Is there a safe in your room? I just don't want to keep our passports and other importants things on me the whole week.I can't image going to the pool and bring our passports with us in bag. Has anyone heard of a safe being robbed in your room ?

I make 2 copies.....one goes in my luggage - other in husbands luggage.

When going ashore - take one copy. If it gets lost/stolen you still have another copy. This was told to me by the nice passport clerk when I got mine back in 1998.

The safe is big enough for passports, jewelry, extra cash/travelers checks, wallet, and even small cameras. If you forget your code or have trouble re-opening it....there is quite a process you must go through in order to have the ship open it for you - so that makes it pretty "safe" -oooooo no pun intended. (only reason I know this is our best friends "forgot" their code last cruise)

We always leave our passports, wallets, jewelry when not wearing it, and poker chips in the safe. I suggest that you make copies of passport id pages and take them with you in port, just in case.

I agree and that worked well on the Grandeur since the safes were built in, but we are sailing the Empress next and I heard the safes are not built in - the type you could just take. I was wondering if we should use the safe in the Pursers office. Any advice?

Does the Monarch have safes for their standard staterooms (Not suites)--what do you do with passports etc. if there's no safe??--I thought I read somewhere where the Monarch does not have cabin safes unless you're in a suite??

When we're on the ship' date=' we keep them in the safe. When we visit a non-U.S. island, we take them with us. If something goes wrong or we have a medical emergency, we want the passports handy.[/quote']

Good plan. Post 9-11, there is no proof that a photocopy of a passport will be good for anything.

Basically, I think it helps in the following ways:

1. Would provide you with the passport number when visiting/calling the local embassy to apply for replacement documentation.
  2. Provides a picture ID associated to that passport number.

Info from the goverment's passport site:

Q. WHAT INFORMATION WILL I NEED TO PROVIDE THE CONSULAR OFFICER?

A. You will be asked for certain information to assist in verifying your citizenship:

1. Personal Data: (including, but not limited to)

• your name
  • date of birth
  • place of birth
  • passport number (if available)
  • date and place where your passport was issued

If you can provide the U.S. embassy or consulate with a photocopy of your passport identification page, that will make getting a new passport easier since your citizenship and identity information would be more readily available.

Click on the following for more info:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1197.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/lost_849.html .

Does the Monarch have safes for their standard staterooms (Not suites)--what do you do with passports etc. if there's no safe??--I thought I read somewhere where the Monarch does not have cabin safes unless you're in a suite??

The 2 times that I was on the Monarch there was no safe in the room. We never had a problem with anything coming up missing. If you want it out of site just keep it in your suitcase or other bag that you may be taking.

Basically, I think it helps in the following ways:
  1. Would provide you with the passport number when visiting/calling the local embassy to apply for replacement documentation.
  2. Provides a picture ID associated to that passport number.

Info from the goverment's passport site:

Q. WHAT INFORMATION WILL I NEED TO PROVIDE THE CONSULAR OFFICER?

A. You will be asked for certain information to assist in verifying your citizenship:

1. Personal Data: (including, but not limited to)

• your name
  • date of birth
  • place of birth
  • passport number (if available)
  • date and place where your passport was issued

If you can provide the U.S. embassy or consulate with a photocopy of your passport identification page, that will make getting a new passport easier since your citizenship and identity information would be more readily available.

Click on the following for more info:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1197.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/lost_849.html .

I totally agree with making a copy but that's to replace a lost one. If you show up at the embassy, the first question they will ask is why you left you passport on the ship. Better to carry it and not need to go to the Embassy.

Schplinky: You are probably 100% correct, but personally, I would be really hesitant to take mine with me on an excursion, etc., for fear of losing it and dealing with even bigger problems. As you can see from the government's own website, they suggest that just providing your info will probably be enough to replace one and a passport copy will speed things up. I still think I will take my chances with the copy.

The most likely reason that comes to mind for needing a passport when ashore, is if I miss the ship. I have never read any entries of people having trouble with not having their passport when that happened (of course, I may have missed an entry). Nevertheless, I think I will add a copy of my birth certificate to the back of the copy of my passport for extra insurance. I know... that is no guarantee... but, I'll bet it will go a long way to resolving what is an unlikely situation.

Actually, the pages to which you refer are about what to do if you lose your passport, not if you need consular assistance. You won't have lost your passport, you will just have chosen to travel without one by leaving it on the ship and I still think the first question they will ask is why. They suggest that providing the info. will be enough to help you replace your passport but that will take time and money. What your saying is that you're going to carry the information you need to get your passport replaced so that you don't have to carry the passport and have it replaced if you lose it. It's sort of circular logic.

While onboard the ship, I keep my passport in my camera bag which I keep in the closet; I don't necessarily need the other items from my bag. While off the ship, my passport is in my camera bag which I always take with me.

I see your point, but it still concerns me. BTW, I was not able to find any reference to the policy about carrying your passport on your person when traveling. Do you know if there is a link? On a land based vacation, I have always left it in the hotel. Until the cruise ship leaves me behind, I guess I have just thought of it in a similar way.

Is a passport required to disembark / re-embark the ship when at port, or is a sea pass card sufficient?

Let's say, for example , my ship docks in Aruba and I want to get off the ship and spend the day at the beach. Obviously the sea pass card is a must, but do I need to worry about carrying around my original passport all day, or would it be ok to just take a copy? What about ID such as a driver's license?

The ship's daily paper will tell you you need your sea pass and a photo i.d.

We take our passport in case we encounter difficulty and need to prove our citizenship or in case some mishap occurs. As someone posted above, the State Department says you should make a copy of your passport in case you need to replace one later but they say nothign about photocopies having any force in port in terms of identification or assistance from other governments, which your passport would garner you.

The ship's daily paper will tell you you need your sea pass and a photo i.d.

We take our passport in case we encounter difficulty and need to prove our citizenship or in case some mishap occurs.

Thanks for the reply, but I guess that poses another question then:

What's the best way to carry my passport on me if I want to go to the beach in Aruba for the day? Swim suit with waterproof pockets? Or is one of those water wallets better? Any other suggestions?

I totally agree with making a copy but that's to replace a lost one. If you show up at the embassy, the first question they will ask is why you left you passport on the ship. Better to carry it and not need to go to the Embassy.
It's best to wear a watch and get back to the ship in a timely manner, which allows you to bypass the whole situation.

Is a passport required to disembark / re-embark the ship when at port, or is a sea pass card sufficient?
No, the ship's personnel will check your documents at the port before issuing your SeaPass. Once they've done that, THEY only check the SeaPass, which is connected to a picture of you in their computers. Thus, you can come and go from the ship with only your SeaPass.

You'll need to show your documents again when you go through customs (i.e., when you re-enter the US).

As far as the ship goes, you'll not need your passport (or birth certificate/ID) to come and go. People carry these things in case they miss the boat and are stranded on the island. I think it's more likely that the passport could be stolen on the island (many of the people on these islands live very poor lifestyles, and a US passport is quite valuable).

It's best to wear a watch and get back to the ship in a timely manner, which allows you to bypass the whole situation.

Well sure, Mrs. Pete, but wearing a watch does not prevent minor accidents, flat tires, taxi drivers that don't return to pick you up, traffic or some other thing that could prevent you from returning to the ship on time. Nobody is able to prevent all of things, no matter how much they plan.

Archived