What happens if you can't make the trip?

I could use some help. We're scheduled for a 5-day cruise in late April. My wife was just informed that she might have to work that week. We may not know for certain until a day or two before our scheduled departure. I might still make the trip even if she can't go as we have others traveling with us and plans to visit family at one of our ports. What will happen if I show up at the airport alone? Will the airline still honor my ticket? What about when I arrive at the ship? Should we call RCL now or wait until we know for certain? Do I even need to let them know prior to arriving at the ship? We did purchase trip insurance but to be honest I don't know if something like having to work is covered. I'd have to look at the policy. Thanks.

You can still go....... airline will let you fly and cruiseline will let you cruise.... but you will lose her airfare costs and her cruise cost.

I doubt very very seriously if your trip insurance will cover your wife having to work....... bummer

I could use some help. We're scheduled for a 5-day cruise in late April. My wife was just informed that she might have to work that week. We may not know for certain until a day or two before our scheduled departure.

What does your wife due? First rule in my family. When we plan or are thinking about planning a vaction each of us gets the time off of work. Than we decide on ship itinary, etc. Once it's booked it's a go! I don't know your situation, but if at this late date, and that's assuming that she took the time off of work in the first place, if my employer told me I had to work on the week of my vacation I'd be looking for new employment.

I did once have a situation where another employee with more sinority decided at the last moment that she wanted that week off. She went to the boss and told the boss that she had the senority and wanted the week, well the boss told her to work it out with me. I flat out told her that if she wanted the week she would need reimburse me for the expenses I has incured, cruise airfare hotel deposits shore excursions, etc. Bottom line - That was the last I heard of her wanting my week.

Sorry, I guess the way I look at it is Family first! I don't mean to put down your wife and I hope it doesn't come across as I am, because I'm not.

I hope for your sake you both are able to go and have a wonderful cruise.

Hflors -- How nice to have a job where you can say family first and go on your vacation regardless. Many people are not so fortunate. When the boss or client says work -- you work. I would not look down on those who choose to keep their job and forfeit a vacation, rather than get fired! And jobs, at least at senior levels such as mine, often require unexpected work -- and it's not that easy to quit and just find another one!

I hope all goes well with your wife and she is able to go. I know how I would feel if this happened to us, I'd really hate leaving my husband behind.

You will not be disallowed from boarding the plane or the ship. People have to cancel at short notice frequently. You don't get your money back, but they may refund her portion of the taxes and port charges.

If you purchased cruise care (insurance)through RCCL you can get up to 75%cruise credits for your wife if you cancel for ANY reason (non-medical). Thus you don't get cash back but at least you don't lose out totally because you get credit toward another sailing. Call your TA or RCCL for details. They may put you in touch with Berkley Care who provides their insurance. Their number is 800-453-4022. If you purchased independent insurance you probably will not be covered for work reasons.

Hope this helps.

Andreakul

But he would also have to pay for a single person on the room if he was to cancle her and have no one in the cabin. This may come to more then the rate paid for both people at this point and time. Should call and check into all the details before you decide what way to go on this.

Archived