Panama Canal Train Trip

sellwingri

We're leaving on the Coral Princess on 4/13. After numerous discussions, we decided to do the train trip but the dome car option is completely booked and only the executive rail car (same train) is available. Is it worth the huge cost to take this trip if you're not in the dome car?

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

We did this trip or at least one like it when we were on the Zenith a couple of years ago. Most of the trip whether you were in a dome car or a regular car the canal is not visable from the train. There are spots where you can see the canal from the train cars but not enough times to not take the trip because you can't get a seat in the dome cars. The trip was interesting and fun and the train cars are historic. The people who work on the train are friendly and really work hard so that everyone has a good time. On our trip the train took us from Colon to Balboa. Then we boarded buses to take a trip to a park overlooking the Pacific. We then went to one of the locks. Unfortunately no ships were scheduled to go through while we were there so we didn't actually get to see them work. Then the buses took us back to the train. We were served our box lunches on the return trip.

All in all we felt the trip which was in one of the regular (executive) cars was worth the money we paid for it. We weren't impressed with the other options that Celebrity offered and Colon was definitely not a port I wanted to wander around on our own in.

Hope you have a good cruise and get to take the railroad trip.

We got back last week. We did not have the dome car and loved it. I am sure the dome car is nice also. The seats were very comfortable. You can walk out of the car on to an open area to take pictures. We liked it. With the tall trees, I do not think you would have an extreme viewing advantage anyway. As you travel you will see clearings and small lakes. You are able to view the lakes even on the lower level. My suggestion is to go for it and not worry about not getting the dome car. Photo

• 3 weeks later...

Train Ride is a waste of money !!!!

We did the train excursion on the Coral princess on 4/13. We were first put in a crummy bus, taken through Panama to the Pacific side which was a bumpy, uncomfortable ride, taken to the Mira Flores locks visitor center, shown a 10 minute film, put back on the bus, drove around a bit, boarded the train, taken back to the ship. Got to Colon and the ship was hours late. When it finally came, one lousy gangway was lowered for the boarding. Hundreds of people waitied and waited to board. Princess really needs to show a little customer service.

By the time you get to the Panama Canal you already have watched the Princess Theatre movie on the Panama Canal and saw another in the cabin. I took the train because I read so many good reviews. It really was a dissapointing experience. There was nothing exciting about it. Do something else !!!

Archived