INSURANCE HELP, please...

I'm in the process of looking for travel insurance for our June cruise/air. It seems I just get more and more confused as I go!

I've done tons of research (this site mostly!), and learned some of the things to look for in a policy. I understand that PRIMARY insurance is important and has been my first question with a couple of recommended insurance companies.

So far, I've checked with 2 of the most recommended companies on this site (CSA and Travel Guard) and was told their insurance is SECONDARY insurance! I'm confused, as these are considered great companies by many. Am I missing something here? Am I worrying more than I need to? Help, please!:confused:

Primary and secondary insurance considerations apply to medical expenses only. If you have good health insurance and it will pay for medical expenses outside the country without a lot of hassles, then a policy that has secondary coverage would probably be adequate for you. However, if you have a health insurance policy that will not cover medical costs outside the country, then a policy that has primary coverage would be what you would want.

One of the advantages of a primary policy coverage--even if you have health insurance that would pay for out of country coverage--is that you would have only one claim to submit to one insurance company.

As far as I know, all travel insurance policies are primary when it comes to covering trip cancellation costs.

I can recommend Travel Guard's Protect Assist policy. I had 3 back to back cruises this Winter that I had to cancel when I was in the 50% penalty phase and they paid their share of my trip cancellation charge in slightly more than a week after receiving the claim forms.

I hope this helps. Insurance is confusing!

This means that IF you have other health insurance that will pay under the circumstances you are in at the time of the illness or injury, your own health insurance will pay and the travel insurance will pick up what your other insurance will not pay. Most health insurance has reduced benefits while you're out of the country. Some will not cover you at all if you're outside the country. Your travel insurance will pay what your other insurance will not.

Archived