3/25/06 Sun Review

Skyeaj12

Hello everyone. My husband, sister in law, and step daughter just returned from the Sun yesterday. We loved it, but there were good and bad things about it. Over all I would rate the Sun a 8/10!

Costa Maya - We were origanly planning on going to the ruins in Costa Maya. It ended up that we did swimming with the dolphins. Who could not love this? It was an experince of a life time! My most memorable part was getting kissed by the dolphin. My step daughter did not get in, from her point of view they looked like sharks to her. Afterwards we just hung out on the beach. I dont remember what the name of the beach was though. There was lots to do. You could get your hair braided, henna tattoo, snorkel, swim, and lots of other things. My husbands favorite part was the open bar. That was always nice, because then you dont have to worry about driving back to the boat, unless you did drive!

Guatemala - In Guatemala we were planning on doing the waterfalls. We did end up canceling it because no one wanted to walk though the rain forests with all the bugs. My step daughters friends did say that there was no bug problems though. We ended up just going to the little shopping area right off the peir. Its really nice because you dont have to walk that far, and you are right there near the ship. The market was really nice, lots of different things to buy. My sister in law stuck with me, because she knows how to bargen. In Guatemala yes you can bargen, so dont try to be ripped off! She got a jade head from $80 down to $30! Saving $50 was very nice!

Belize - This was by far my least favorite part, due to the weather. We were planning on going snorkeling but it was raining so we just went to a private beach. Yes it was a nice beach but it rained the whole time. We were there from about 10 am until 2 pm doing nothing. I was sitting under a tiki unbrella talking to a lady who worked on the ship. My husband and his daughter did walk around and collect shells, even though it rained.

Cozumel - This was my favorite stop! We booked the 'Eco Jeep and Snorkel'!! I really recomend this. Our guild was Stitch, who was amazing. He is a Mayan decent, so going to the Mayan ruins was really intersting with him. It was about a 30 minute drive to the ruin, but we only looked at it for about ten minutes. Then it was off to the beach, this was a very nice beach! Myself, and my husband did the snorkeling, but I must say it was pretty hard working agaisnt the current. We did not see to much, but it was fun while it lasted. After the beach Stitch took us to a working light house. We climbed all 133 steps up and back down. It was a good work out, and very worth it!

Food - Personally the food was ok, not great or bad. Every night expect one we went to the Garden Cafe. They changed there food options every night. From like French to Caribbean. It was neat to see what they classifed the food as. Tuesday night we did end up going to Le Bristo! It was extreamly good! I ordered the special that night which was lobster tail and an 8 oz steak, I ate every bite of it! That was the best food night for me. I know my step daughter really enjoyed the stir-fry station. She went there about three nights. It is located in the back of the Garden Cafe.

Entertainment - We only went to one show, but I dont remember the name of it. They were all extreamly talented and they showed how hard they worked. The boat was really rocky that night, and watching them still dance around and stay in place was amazing! Another night we went to an Irish Comedian. He was very funny, cracked us up alot. The Irish Comedian I would highly go see if I were you!

Ship Layout - The Sun is the smallest ship that we have sailed. It was confussing at times, but once you get used to it, its ok. It is kind of confussing to find deck 6a! If your room is located on it, its in the front of the boat, but you need to be on deck 7 to get there! Yes that seems weird, but that is how it works. Another thing the elvators in the back of the boat, you can not go to deck 5 and get to the aturium. It only leads to Seven Seas, but there are stairs up to the 6th floor.

If you have any questions let me know!

We were on this cruise, also. We agree about the ship layout--it is a bit screwy at times! Loved the shows and the other entertainers. The food in dining room was unimaginative and who wants shrimp salad in place of real shrimp cocktail! We went for the itinerary, especially to get to Guatemala for the first time--had a really great trip to Mayan ruins. Fully enjoyed the shopping, food, and entertainment right at the pier after our tour. Anyone bring back Gallo beer? Except for our night in the Italian restaurant, had our usual NCL experience of poor food service plus this time we also had bad food--all in the same restaurant. Enjoyed all the entertainment venues and many of the shows. Met many very nice crew and look forward to seeing them on April 22.

We were on this cruise, also. We agree about the ship layout--it is a bit screwy at times! Loved the shows and the other entertainers. The food in dining room was unimaginative and who wants shrimp salad in place of real shrimp cocktail! We went for the itinerary, especially to get to Guatemala for the first time--had a really great trip to Mayan ruins. Fully enjoyed the shopping, food, and entertainment right at the pier after our tour. Anyone bring back Gallo beer? Except for our night in the Italian restaurant, had our usual NCL experience of poor food service plus this time we also had bad food--all in the same restaurant. Enjoyed all the entertainment venues and many of the shows. Met many very nice crew and look forward to seeing them on April 22.
Well, please tell us why you cruise NCL if you think the service is always bad. As for shrip cocktails versus shrimp salad as you called it: you may not know this, but originally (my dad was a chief in a very upscale restaurant in LA about 80 years ago) a shrimp cocktail was lettuce, celery, shrimp and wonderful cocktail sause. I have cruised several lines and always had shrimp cocktail that resembeled a salad. I am glad you liked the entertainment: as for a few parts of the ship, it is a bit screwy, this may have to do with the fact the ship was purchased partly built, I don't know for certain. skteahj12, you really missed much of what makes a cruise special by only going to one show and eating in the garden cafe so many nights. You could have tried the tapa bar if nothing else. It seems you still had a good time and that is what it's all about. NMNita

newmexicoNita: we picked this cruise for the itinerary, specifically going to Guatemala...oh, and the lowest price we ever paid for a cruise, booking less than 2 weeks out. Sorry, but I've never had a shrimp cocktail with baby shrimp; here in Florida and Texas, too, a shrimp cocktail comes with full-size shrimp...probably because those baby shrimp will never stick to the outside of the glass!

Skyeaj12 - what did your step daughter's friend think of the waterfall trip? We were thinking of doing that.

Thanks

I just got back from the Sun also. If you go to> Ports of Call>Caribbean Other> you can read my long post about Guatemala and our rainforest waterfall trip which was our favorite stop.

P.S. no bugs only beautiful forest and waterfalls.

We had a great time on the Sun. No complaints at all!

DH and I were also aboard. Embarkation was a breeze.

I felt that lunches and dinners in either of the dining rooms was very good. Breakfast was good but not spectacular.

In Le bistro I had a great filet mignon but DH was not thrilled with his salmon. Service was slow and they appeared very understaffed.

As far as baby shrimp and shipboard lobster tails - I can't comment. DH and I never order it on any cruise because we are New Englanders and there is no comparison to what we get around here - we are very spoiled because of where we live and the availability of great seafood.

I wish I could comment on entertainment but I was wiped out from water activities and was in bed by 9 PM.

We had a balcony room and ended up with a 3 category upgrade - room was beautiful but spoiled us for future cruises. Hve to say it was extremely clean!

I found some parts of the ship were very cold so I would advise having sweaters/sweatshirts available.

This is the first time I did not book excursions through the ship. I felt confident to try it myself due to the great information I got from the boards here and everything worked out well.

Costa Maya - we hopped the bus to Majahual (?spelling) and got a beach break package with chair, food, snorkeling, and drinks. Spent a nice day on the beach.

Guatemala - booked the Livingston tour with Gus when we got there and had a great day. Felt we got to see how the people lived, visited the school, and had a great shrimp lunch.

Belize - did a reef snorkel which was like a marathon since the currents were so strong. Then did Shark Ray Alley which was great. Went through ecological tours. Rain held off until we went to eat lunch and stopped by the time we were ready to go back to the city.

Cozumel - did 3 reef snorkel and snuba on Maria del Ray - I had prebooked on line and it was fantastic. Gary did a great job. I highly recommend.

skl,

would be very interested in knowing the website for Ecological Tours. We will be on the Sun in November [same ports] and have been to Belize several times. Looking to do the snorkel/shark ray alley excursion this time.

Would also like to know to which resort you went in Majajual, as that sounds great.

Thanks!

Archived