Jaws or Flippers?

Just flying fish. Our son, who is 20, would not believe there was such a thing as a "flying" fish, even though he was standing there watching them by the hundreds over a period of hours. He thinks they were just fish getting out of the way of the ship. When we got home, I had to go to "Google" to indeed prove to him there are such things. He asked his friends if they had ever heard of such a thing and of course they hadn't. That didn't help matters. To this day, he still doesn't believe there are flying fish.;)

The only dolphins we saw were when we were leaving the Galveston port.

Just flying fish. Our son, who is 20, would not believe there was such a thing as a "flying" fish, even though he was standing there watching them by the hundreds over a period of hours. He thinks they were just fish getting out of the way of the ship. When we got home, I had to go to "Google" to indeed prove to him there are such things. He asked his friends if they had ever heard of such a thing and of course they hadn't. That didn't help matters. To this day, he still doesn't believe there are flying fish.;)

The only dolphins we saw were when we were leaving the Galveston port.

Does your son know my DS? He would say the same thing!! Kids!

a couple of years ago we saw dolphins swimming along side the ship within like 10 feet of the side of the boat. The were on their backs looking up at us, it looked like they were smiling. It was so cool.

Last year on a cruise to New England dh and some others saw a whale's tail splash up, I just caught the splash.

On the Mexico cruises, 3/4 night Baja, and the longer ones to Cabo and points south, you frequently see large pods of 20 or more dolphins, sea lions and sometimes whales. We have never seen a shark. We did see medium stingrays in the crystal clear water while we were docked in Cozumel a few years ago. :)

Sailing out of Key West, we were able to stick our heads out of one of the faux portholes on the Enchantment promenade and see a couple of dolphins getting a push from the ship. Most of the time, I only see flying fish, though. The big exception was a Mexican Riviera cruise on Carnival Elation. We had strange seas due to a hurricane in the Pacific. Large swells, but the surface was like glass. I saw several large pods (~100) of dolphins/porpoise, a whale shark, and a hammerhead shark. It was like looking down into an aquarium. I also saw a marlin that jumped out of the water a few times. Took a bunch of pics, but they don't do it justice. That cruise was definitely the exception...

LOTS of whales in Alaska and New England; a few between FL and St Thomas in the Eastern Caribbean, Dolphins here and there, and sharks and manta rays near Isla Maragarita...

...a whale shark, and a hammerhead shark...
COOL!...I guess it's time to book a Mexican riviera cruise!

I can understand seeing dolphins, though I have not seen any from any ship I was on, but wonder about whales. Can whales live in bahama territory or carribean waters? I would think the water is way too warm for them and would expect them to be in more northern areas.. any one know?

We saw a couple of very large sharks as we were sailing into Key West last year. I'm not sure what type of shark they were but definitely had lots of teeth! :eek: They did look like smaller versions of Jaws.

I can understand seeing dolphins, though I have not seen any from any ship I was on, but wonder about whales. Can whales live in bahama territory or carribean waters? I would think the water is way too warm for them and would expect them to be in more northern areas.. any one know?
Humpbacks migrate down to the warmer waters to breed and give birth...the most famous area is near the Dominican Republic, but they can be found throughout the area. Other whales make their home in the Caribbean year round, especially sperm whales, which breed near the Island of Dominica (we had a great whale watching excursion there last year).

Archived