Live From Mercury (the Sick Ship) 3/27/06

tuggers

Just a short note to let anyone know who is sailing on the next cruise that if you are given the opportunity to opt out of this cruise and you can, you may want to seriously consider it.

Every little nicity that you love on X: Champagne on boarding, cushions on the chairs by the pool, pastries in the Cova, limes in your drinks, salt and pepper on the tableds, etc are all gone. Service and smiles are way down because, fraankly, the staff are exhausted. Everyone is pulling regular duty PLUS 4 to 5 hours extra a DAY!

They spray with bleach water (walls, doors, mirrors, tables, elevators, slot machines, etc) every 30 minutes and leave it to drip. You can see in no mirror, no metal surfaces or even window shop because everything is fogged. Clothing is ruined if your cabin door slams shut, as mine did, and splashes bleach on you!

The latest is that the restaurant, which has been closed several days for lunch) is now closed for breakfast and lunch today and maybe till the end of the cruise. GR's told me this am that 'FOR NOW' the restaurant will remain open for dinner!! What's next? Boxed diners delivered to our cabins?

Almost everyone you talk to has a dull headache from the chemicals (crew all wear masks).

I have been on Z, H and Century when there have been bad outbreaks and it was never handled like this. Celebrity should have seriously taken this ship out of service for a week.

As for compensation, there is none. they have corporate CS on board and they pretty much say, we told you at embarkation (which by the way we waited in a terminal for 4 hours to board) (oh and we were the lucky ones! 900 people were outside the terminal in tents!) there were problems and you could have not come then.

So, the reason for my post. Be aware that if you want to cancel, you must do it before you get on.

Are ta's telling paxs how bad this is?

Hope this is helpful. Don't like being the bearer of bad news, but this is not an X cruise!

Tuggers :eek: I am so sorry that you are going through this on your cruise. I haven't been on the boards for a while...what the heck is going on?? Outbreak of something on board???

Tuggers...

Your post is going to serve as vindication for a lot of folks just off the 3/17 Mercury cruise. The recreation by many on this board today has been flaming anyone who didn't make lemonade out of the lemons they were dealt on their vacation. My husband and I were aboard for the last cruise. We remained healthy and were determined to enjoy ourselves....and did. That is not to say, however, that the conditions were wonderful. We also understand we didn't have the full Celebrity experience we'd anticipated. For some, the events had a greater impact, and I've been disappointed that folks who weren't there have been so critical of some negative comments made by those who were aboard. Your physical description of the ship mirrors our experience....not a pretty sight. My hope is that all this is at least keeping the illness at bay. We'll trust pulling back futher in some of the food service areas doesn't materialize...that would be hard to overcome and still tell yourself you're having fun. Stay well.

Nan

Tuggers...

Your post is going to serve as vindication for a lot of folks just off the 3/17 Mercury cruise. The recreation by many on this board today has been flaming anyone who didn't make lemonade out of the lemons they were dealt on their vacation. My husband and I were aboard for the last cruise. We remained healthy and were determined to enjoy ourselves....and did. That is not to say, however, that the conditions were wonderful. We also understand we didn't have the full Celebrity experience we'd anticipated. For some, the events had a greater impact, and I've been disappointed that folks who weren't there have been so critical of some negative comments made by those who were aboard. Your physical description of the ship mirrors our experience....not a pretty sight. My hope is that all this is at least keeping the illness at bay. We'll trust pulling back futher in some of the food service areas doesn't materialize...that would be hard to overcome and still tell yourself you're having fun. Stay well.

Nan

nan, Tuggers approach is very different than the other thread. There are ways to say things and ways not to. I don't think any of us feel Celebrity handled the situation in the best way, but I think we also have to take into consideration all that has happened with cruise lines in the past 2 weeks. March was not a good month for the cruise industry. BTW< I am not a really gung ho Celebrity fan. NMNita

Hi Gail !

I am very sorry to hear that your Mercury sailing is not going well. We had seem some posts from the last Mercruy sailing that suggested the conditions were improving.

Knowing you, I am sure you will find a way to have a great time. I certainly hope so anyway :)

By the way, Weren't you just on Summit ? How was everything on that Cruise ?

Thanks for the update Gail. Sorry that your cruise is not the usual wonderful X experience. It's good hearing from a seasoned Celebrity traveler like yourself. And I agree with the other poster, that it's all in how you say it. Hopefully things will improve for you.

Patty

Tuggers (Gail) has a sincere intent with her post. I had dinner with Gail before she left on her cruise. She's sailed extensively with Celebrity the past couple of years. If she is posting that there's an extreme problem....believe it. She's not the type to just complain or pout over trivial issues. It is so unfortunate that there has been a virus outbreak....but more importantly it is unfortunate that Celebrity hadn't taken Mercury off their cruising schedule, as a emergency situation.

Karyn

Thanks gail... I know I was one of the meanies on the other board, but you are actually being helpful and even-keeled about it. Had the other post been like that, I would have responded differently. Give the crew good comments for me, it sounds like hell for them, perhaps more than for the passangers.

Gail,

I have to admit, I really don't like your post. :o We're sailing on Mercury next week. (Thanks to you, I might add. :p ) We weren't the least bit concerned, until I read what you wrote. I'd actually rather get sick for 24 to 48 hours than have a 10 day cruise, w/o all the things that makes Celebrity our line of choice. 2 horrible days would be much better than 10 days of sub-par experience. I know, I'm crazy that way. :D I'm very much a roll with the punches person, but this isn't just beginning to happen. IMHO, the time to make lemonade out of lemons was on the 1st sailing that experienced the initial outbreak. That, I would take in stride. Celebrity had no control over that. On the other hand, taking full fare for a cruise they know isn't going to be a typical cruise is under their control. I know people have said you may be able to cancel at the pier, but we, like you have to fly the length of the country to get to the pier. We'd be out $1,000+ to go to the pier & cancel. :eek: I'm really hoping things get back to normal soon.

I like Tuggers made the most of of thre 3/17 cruise. None in our party of four came down with the virus, but we were appalled at the procedures that were used to disinfect the ship.

While it is important to "make the best" of things, it is also important to remember that we all paid a lot of money for our cruises. Whatever your cabin grade was, it was our vacation. My husband and I scheduled this vacation 18 months ago. We have always stayed in a Royal Suite and cruise Celebrity because we love the "much vaunted" service. Celebrity let us down by not informing us of the outbreak on the previous sailing. WE deserved the same choice that the passengers on the 3/27 sailing were given. I would have probably taken the refund and enjoyed Southern California for 10 days instead of having my opinion of Celebrity drop so drastically. I had planned on booking my next cruise while onboard. It would have been $12K in revenue for Celebrity. I did not book because I felt let down by the staff (officers, not the crew) and celebrity management.

I am even more disappointed by the experience I had with customer service when I called after disembarking.

The crew on the 3/17 sailing was wonderful. They were tired, but always had a kind word and a smile. As for the rest of Celebrity, it was a tremendous disappointment.

I wonder if there is or will be any word from Celebrity Management.

I think if Gail wrote them a letter, with her 30 + cruises, and love of and loyalty to Celebrity, that they would have to respond in a proactive way.

(Much like when Canderson wrote the letter about the Galveston Disembarkation Fiasco)

Obviously this is not the typical Celebrity Product, It is not the vacation that you signed up for, and with the crew so exhuasted from disinfecting and the dining rooms closed for Breakfast and Lunch, I just don't see how you could relax and enjoy the vacation.

We had no problems on the Infinity in November, but I avoided the buffet because I found it to be a little stressful and not relaxing. I loved having full service breakfast and lunch in the dining room. So with it being closed at those times, well the Buffet must be 3 times as crazy.

I like Tuggers made the most of of thre 3/17 cruise. None in our party of four came down with the virus, but we were appalled at the procedures that were used to disinfect the ship.

While it is important to "make the best" of things, it is also important to remember that we all paid a lot of money for our cruises. Whatever your cabin grade was, it was our vacation. My husband and I scheduled this vacation 18 months ago. We have always stayed in a Royal Suite and cruise Celebrity because we love the "much vaunted" service. Celebrity let us down by not informing us of the outbreak on the previous sailing. WE deserved the same choice that the passengers on the 3/27 sailing were given. I would have probably taken the refund and enjoyed Southern California for 10 days instead of having my opinion of Celebrity drop so drastically.

According to Mercruiser, who is also on this cruise, a refund was NOT an option for the 3/27 passengers. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=320653) A future cruise credit was offered, which is a litttle different.

Susan

"Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true"

This is a favorite quote of mine, I think Abe Linclon. I think of this before I attack anyone. Just thought I'd share it with you. After all the flaming that's been going around about this Mercury fiasco.

chicagolass... My post wasn't in response to your's. Is the idea of making "lemonade from lemons" unique? Was there anything in my post other than those four words that led you believe I was referring to you in any way? Apologies if I've inadvertantly offended you.

Nan

"Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true"

This is a favorite quote of mine, I think Abe Linclon. I think of this before I attack anyone. Just thought I'd share it with you. After all the flaming that's been going around about this Mercury fiasco.

Bless you. :-)

Nan

Hi NanD,

My words about making lemonade out of lemons in life was a message to

TeeDee about how to handle his problem with people who complain all the

time. My comments were on a completely different thread from the one

about the health situation on the Mercury.It was all said in a light-hearted

manner and in fun. You should have known the difference.

quote]

Vanity compels me to mention that I'm definitely a she!:)

Terri

Hi NanD,

My words about making lemonade out of lemons in life was a message to

TeeDee about how to handle his problem with people who complain all the

time. My comments were on a completely different thread from the one

about the health situation on the Mercury.It was all said in a light-hearted

manner and in fun. You should have known the difference.

quote]

Vanity compels me to mention that I'm definitely a she!:)

Terri

And she makes a dynamite glass of lemonade!!!

:) :D

Susan

Archived