Hey Guys, Celebrity Can Make Mistakes!

nu2sea

Although I am a big fan of Celebrity, I am also realistic enough to know that they are not perfect. Perhaps because they do so many things so well that when they drop the ball it just seems so much worse.

I thought the way they handled the Millennium tragedy was admirable. Clearly they were not responsible for anything to do with that excursion. And yet they bent over backwards to take care of the family members and to provide help for passengers still on board the ship. The President of the Cruise Line participated in a press conference and they quickly got information out to the public.

So the current problems on the Mercury seem so much worse because we all know what X is capable of. Someone has dropped the ball on this one big time.

Even if the crew is acting in accordance with CDC recommendations, someone should be communicating with current passengers like Gail and future cruisers like so many of us on this board.

Some people are going to be more upset about these events than others, can't we at least provide them with an opportunity to vent? Perhaps they are all of the unfavorable things you imagine them to be, but they have just lost what should have been the same wonderful cruises that so many of us have experienced.

I'm sure Gail is making the best lemonade possible considering the scarcity of fresh fruit on board! I just wish my favorite cruise line would do the same...

Susan

Well said, Susan. Celebrity did a great job assisting those on MILLENNIUM, but sure forgot about moral choices when it came to MERCURY. Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice, but I am very unsettled by the way they chose to handle re-embarking the current MERCURY cruise knowing full well that the disinfection procedures themselves could be a problem for some passengers. Withholding information for a week when they could have contacted the current 3/27 passengers and given them an option is just plain immoral. They goofed, they should admit it, and they should make ammends in some way.

Some of the folks who returned from the 3/17 cruise are venting in clearly inproductive ways but are angry nonetheless. Just give them a wide berth and a little space. Go out of your way to avoid them; flaming and fanning don't really help anyone. We didn't experience their cruise, and should refrain from Monday morning quarterbacking from afar (and in cowardly anonimity.)

Cheers~

I totally agree that Celebrity has totally dropped the ball with the situation on Mercury. If I had been on any of the past few sailings, including the current one, I would be very upset. I think those that have calmly stated their problems have for the most part been treated fairly. Yes, there have been some exceptions, but overall I believe that.

The problem is with those who posted total rants complaining about absolutely everything over & over again. That gets the loyal Celebrity lovers very upset, I mean complaining about the size of your balcony when there are so many real problems is not going to get a lot of sympathy. These type of complaints caused some of us to overlook the very real problems and issues being posted. Which are totally legitimate. I have very little sympathy for those types of posts.

Now look at Gail's post. She states her problems in a very straightforward way. States the facts without getting hysterical and most of the replies to her post were very supportive.

I truely am not trying to make light of what has been a horrible situation on what should have been a wonderful, relaxing vacation. But some posters are making a bad situation worse and alienating people who might otherwise have suggestions on what to do & who to contact about the problems.

Sorry to go on and on, I just hate seeing what is happening here.

Terri

Sorry to go on and on, I just hate seeing what is happening here.

Terri

So do I Terri. What do you say we go find a decent martini bar? You want to join us Nicki?

Susan

Ready when you are! Just give me a minute to grab a bag and a pair of heels.:D

Cheers~

Nicki

Forget the heels when you are heading for a martini bar. That much easier to stumble!!!!

What am I doing here? Swore I was not coming back. Just had to read bout the Mercury.

love

joan

Can I join in?

Seriously, Celebrity has made a major blunder with the way they are handling this cruise. For Gail, a serious and steady Celebrity cruiser to make this report, it has to be bad. She is extremely objective with her opinions.

Celebrity has got a lot to make up for with not only present cruisers on the Mercury and the next cruise. This will be one cruise that will turn away a lot of the first time cruisers from trying Celebrity again. It's a PR nightmare!

Anita

If you accept Celebrity "dropped the ball", at what point do we (I mean any of us) think the cruise line should be making people aware there is a problem?

When they have to notify CDC?

A couple of cases of sickness on a cruise?

When they start super cleaning?

I am reluctant to say they should start cancelling cruises at the first problem because it may turn out to be contained, many people's vacations will be ruined unnecessarily and the financial loss will be large.

And at what point should they change from saying "we have a problem which we are addressing" to "you may want to cancel and get a refund" to "the cruise is cancelled"?

These are not easy issues.

TurtleMichael...If you read the "Warning-Mercury" thread, you will see that Nicky - 'Poetic License' has come up with a solution that is the same one my husband and I discussed at dinner this evening. It would be a way that Celebrity could get things under control, and yes, it would cost them money, but in the long run it would certainly save them lots of bad publicity, ill-will, and I am guessing it would save them millions by making and keeping future bookings!

Nicki...we couldn't agree with you more! And IMHO if posters on this board had some say in this situation, maybe common sense would come into play. Linda

Archived