Rental car shuttle service

PACURN

I asked this question before, but didn't get any responses, so I am asking again.

We are thinking about renting a car at all of the islands and venturing out on our own.

Is this advisable or should we just go on pre-arranged excursions through the ship? We are trying to keep the cost as low as possible since my elderly in-laws are going with us.

Is there any parking (for 1-2 hours) near the various piers to stop in at the ship for lunch or to freshen up?

Thanks!

Thanks. We are actually going to be staying two nights prior to the cruise in Honolulu and plan to do quite a bit of sightseeing around the island, so we really need a car for the four of us. My husband is planning to drop us off at the pier, take the car back to the downtown location and then catch a cab back to the pier on the day we leave.

My question relates to the other islands we will be visiting. We have heard it is better to rent cars rather than take excursions through the ship. My question is: Is any temporary parking near the cruise ship piers at Maui, Hilo, etc. so we could stop off at the ship and eat lunch or freshen up?

Thanks!

We just returned from the Pride of America. Rented cars in most ports. Most major rental companies have offices in Waikiki and will shuttle you free from the port to their outlets. (Saw Thrifty, National, Hertz and I think Alamo vans there.) We used National in Oahu and Thrifty in all other ports. I would NEVER recommend National. The cars are filthy and their people are crude and VERY unaccomodating. (IMO)

Thrifty was GREAT. Their shuttle drives are FULL of good information. National's drivers could barely speak english. Never mind give you tips on sights to see. Get a Thrifty Blue Chip card. If definately will save you time. (Thanks to all the posts on this board for that advice.)

Most of the Hawaiian ports have parking available for people on the cruise and keeping the car overnight. Now as to whether the parking space is big enough or not, depends on the cruise ship - I know people have complained before that they tried parking at the assigned parking lot and found it full.

Spleen

Archived