Rental car shuttle service

PACURN

After reading the bazillions of threads regarding rental cars in Oahu I seem to think none of the rental car companies will shuttle their customers back to the cruise port. I'm a little surprised because here they will take people home or whereever after dropping off a car. I guess we're spoiled here.

Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Debbie - so I'm confused. In San Diego, if you return a rental car at the airport, they would shuttle you home, for instance? I've never seen a rental car company be that generous with their shuttles - at best, they might drop you off at an airport hotel versus back at the terminal. Of course, we're not talking about Enterprise that advertises pick up and drop off to wherever - we're talking about the majors - Hertz, Avis, National, etc.

Spleen

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Spleen

Sorry, Debbie. I just reread my post and realized that I might be misunderstood. I meant the explanation regarding Enterprise, not the blond comment. Though I did appreciate that as well. :D

Spleen

Spleen,

I understood. See another blond moment cuz I didn't relate it to the blonde statement at all. DUH.:p

Bill

Thanks for the tip. I will look into National. Let me know how it works out for you. :)

You could check in at the ship, leave your luggage there and then return the car at the airport. Then take a city bus back to the pier. We did this and it worked out great! Just told the driver where we wanted to go and he told us when to get off.

When we went last year to Oahu, we rented a car for the first 3 days, we picked up @ the airport and dropped off @ their other location only a few miles from the pier and they shuttled us there we did the same thing whenn we got back off the boat they picked us up @ pier went to the office in town and dropped off @ airport, we used alamo but there was other car rental agencies there

NCL WIND---HAWAII 6/05:rolleyes: MEMORIES

NCLA POA--HAWAII 6/06:eek: WITH KIDS:D

We are paying around 3 dollars a gallon, some over 3.00, here in San Deigo. The price goes up every other day. I expect it's more there being where it is. It's funny how the news compares gas prices that they never use our gas prices. They use LA or other prices and typically we are paying more here. I guess it's harder to ship gas WAAAAAYYYY down here in SD. Cost's alot in gas to bring it here.

rucruisn2,

do you remeber how long it took to ride the bus from the airport back to the cruise ship dock? I have rented a car from Alamo and was thinking of doing the same thing or taking a cab back to the dock.

Hi, sorry it took so long to reply. The bus ride was short, maybe 10 minutes. Bus is just across the street from Alamo and lets you off about a block away from the cruise ships. Make sure you ask the driver to tell you where to get off. Very friendly!!

We on vacation on the Big Island at the moment. We rented a car from Alamo at Kona Airport on Saturday. I inquired about cruise passenger pick-ups at the pier. They do this all the time. They have all the cruiseline schedules, they make a pickup at the banyan tree just off the tender dock, but said it wouldn't hurt to give them a call when you're getting off the ship. They have return shuttles that run back to the ship periodically later in the day. Alamo and National are now merged companies so you may be on an Alamo or a National van, no difference.

I see no reason why the same policies would not be applicable on the other islands and/or with other rental agencies.

One problem we encountered when we landed at Kona Saturday afternoon was that we had to wait in a long line for a half-hour at the counter to get a car. I inquired about this and was told that this has become very commonplace these days, a lot of it due to an general labor shortage in all industries in the Islands.

When we went last year to Oahu, we rented a car for the first 3 days, we picked up @ the airport and dropped off @ their other location only a few miles from the pier and they shuttled us there we did the same thing whenn we got back off the boat they picked us up @ pier went to the office in town and dropped off @ airport, we used alamo but there was other car rental agencies there

NCL WIND---HAWAII 6/05:rolleyes: MEMORIES

NCLA POA--HAWAII 6/06:eek: WITH KIDS:D

Hi. Do you know which location you dropped off the car? We are renting from Alamo too, but didn't realize there was another location that had a shuttle to the cruiseport.

Thanks!

Thrifty, Alamo, National and Dollar are all located on Ala Moana. Blvd. It is 2.6 miles from the pier as opposed to 5 miles to the airport. It is not within walking distance, it is simply a downtown rental location. They may shuttle you to the pier or you may have to take a cab.

We haven't done it yet, our Hawaii cruise isn't until October.:D

Thrifty, Alamo, National and Dollar are all located on Ala Moana. Blvd. It is 2.6 miles from the pier as opposed to 5 miles to the airport. It is not within walking distance, it is simply a downtown rental location. They may shuttle you to the pier or you may have to take a cab.

We haven't done it yet, our Hawaii cruise isn't until October.:D

Actually, Hertz is within walking distance from the port - not CLOSE walking distance, but about a 10-15 minute walk. Also located on Ala Moana Blvd - across the street from the CompUSA.

Spleen

Thank you spleen. I saw that Hertz and Enterprise had the closest pier locations, but still quite a walk. We are renting pre-cruise and will probably go with National or Alamo with downtown drop-off. Thanks for your help.:)

Any other tips?:D

And that's odd that CC is inserting sponsored links between posts now. New thing?

It's been like that on the NCL forum for a couple of weeks. They must have been the test forum--and there's a long thread with opinions. I find it jarring and annoying. I'm even less inclined to look those ads.

Spleen: Mahalo for letting me know I'm not crazy. (Okay, at least not crazy in regard to this one issue.) I haven't been able to do quick replies on the NCL board since the new format was instituted. I asked about it on their thread about this, but no one responded. So now we have annoying ads and broken quick replies. Lovely.:(

beachchick

Archived