Degrees of Difference

pqdtw

Hi all,

Has anyone been on the Windsurf recently? Are all the "Degrees of Difference" upgrades already implemented? We're doing the 23 April sailing from Lisbon to Malaga, and was wondering if the speaker system, new beds, etc. have been brought on board...

This is our first time on Windstar after about 15 cruises with other lines. We're really looking forward to it!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Just back from sailing about 2 weeks ago.The new beds are in place and are quite comfy. The Ipods and the docking stations are also in place. The music selections on them are extensive and quite good. There is new riedel stemware in the Bistro and the Restaurant, and new china as well. We also received orange sorbet on deck, which was quite refreshing. The robes have changed from the old terrycloth to the new waffle material, and there are L'Occitane products in the bathrooms. While we were on board, they changed carpet in the Bistro, taking only the morning and afternoon to do it. It was open for dinner. There are a lot of ongoing changes, and all for the better. Hope this helps. We had a ball, and I am about to do the transatlantic on Sunday.

parislady40 - earlier in the year people were posting that there was a problem with the air conditioning in some of the cabins (especially forward ones) and in the main dining room - did you notice this at all, or does it seem to have been fixed, at least temporarily? We're doing 3 Med cruises on her soon and have some concerns.

Thanks

Thanks Parislady for the information, it is good to know that the Windsurf is making some great upgrades. Looking forward to the cruise July 30th from Nice to Rome, I am sure the new upgrades will make the trip even more comfortable and enjoyable, not that the ports wont be exciting, but will be nice to come back to the ship and enjoy what they have done, would appreciate any other information anyone might have as to what is being done to the Windsurf..

Thanks again, :)

I can only speak in regards to my cabin, 209. There was no problem with the airconditioning. In fact I had to ask for another blanket. Having been on the Windsurf a few times, I have noticed on my earlier cruises, that if we adjusted the airconditioning when we first got on, it just seemed as if it was not as efficient. Its easier to ask for another blanket if it is too cold. I did not hear complaints from other guests. The Bistro was no problem, and so was the restaurant. I go transatlantic on Sunday, and I will have 14 days to scout this out for you. I will post when I get back. I understand from the staff that upgrading will be ongoing. They were working on crown molding in the Bistro, but no one noticed. Just little bits at a time. The ship is having a facelift!! I love her anyway, as you can tell from my cruises.

parislady40 - really appreciate your prompt reply and the good news about temperatures and air conditioning aboard Wind Surf. Look forward to reading your update after the Transatlantic before we sail Apr 30. Thanks again.

Hi Parislady

I am a prospective first timer to crusing and my very first cruise is on the Windsurf in sept 2006-Rome to Barcelona and really looking foward to it. i have read some of the messages-all very helpful. I would be grateful for any feedback you have on the windsurf when you return from your current cruise and any tips on the above cruise which i see you have done.

Many thanks:)

• 1 month later...

Parislady40: Thanks for posting this info. If you don't mind, can you provide more details on these new beds? My husband has back problems and is very picky about mattresses. So far this has prevented us from cruising together, and I'd like to change that:p ! Windstar sounds like it would be great for us if we can surmount the bed hurdle.

If you know what a Tempurpedic mattress is, that's the feel we'd be looking for - firm support without any pressure points, is the way I'd describe it. Any feedback anyone can provide regarding the "degrees of difference" between the new Windstar beds and Tempurpedic or similar mattresses would be most helpful. Thanks!

... Just back from sailing about 2 weeks ago.The new beds are in place and are quite comfy. ... We had a ball, and I am about to do the transatlantic on Sunday.

O2B@C

I just love your name!!! I am so sorry that your husband suffers with his back. I am a fellow cruisemate with a bad back. I am actually having a slight episode as we speak.

I do think that your husband will not have a problem with the beds. They are apparently Euro Top Sealy Posturpedic. They are firm enough without feeling as though you are on a board, but with a softness that supports. I had no problem at all. I have disc problems, and never did I wake up in pain of any sort. I actually looked forward to my sleep. The linens have also been upgraded. Hope that helps!

Louwenna,

I am back from the transatlantic, and even though I truly enjoyed the 14 days at sea, I know now that I am a lover of visiting ports. I see you are doing Rome to Barcelona in Sept. Hubby and I are doing the opposite-Lisbon-Barcelona Rome in September as well.As you can tell, we are hooked. I had no problems with airconditioning. I actually had to have blankets. Feel free to ask and I will try to answer.:)

We have just returned from cruise Rome to Nice. I had read on previous threads that the watersports deck was inoperable. Unfortunately this is still the case. As the watersports is quite an important part of my husbands holiday, he was needless to say quite disappointed. Windsurf is due to go into dry dock October - November time so hopefully this problem will be rectified. Husband having now weighed himself after all the wonderful food really wishes that he had been able to use the watersports

Thanks for the compliment on the name (I was wondering if anyone had noticed :D ) and for the sympathy, which I hereby reciprocate. Most of all, thanks very much for the info! When the time comes, I'll see if I can find a Euro Top Posturpedic in a land-based hotel, and get hubby to try out. If it works, Windstar here we come!

O2B@C

I just love your name!!! I am so sorry that your husband suffers with his back. I am a fellow cruisemate with a bad back. I am actually having a slight episode as we speak.

I do think that your husband will not have a problem with the beds. They are apparently Euro Top Sealy Posturpedic. They are firm enough without feeling as though you are on a board, but with a softness that supports. I had no problem at all. I have disc problems, and never did I wake up in pain of any sort. I actually looked forward to my sleep. The linens have also been upgraded. Hope that helps!

Hi Parislady

Welcome back. Quick question on ship shore tours. Are they generally well run and good value? We are on the rome-Barcelona tour in sept. i see others often organise there own shore tours but i would be interested in your comments on the ship organised tours.

Also -are there any staterooms (on upper deck) to avoid on the Windsurf -due to noise or other factors?

Many thanks

Louwenna

Louwenna,

While I'm not Parislady, I will add my two cents anyhow. We did not find the shore excursions on our Nice to Rome cruise last year to be a particularly good value, nor very creative. Of course, there are circumstances that do make sense to use the ship's excursions. For example, they offered Cinque Terre from Portofino and based on our experience going from SML to Cinque Terre on a land vacation, we would take the ship's excursion to ensure making it back in time. On the other hand, in Portofino they also offered lunch at Hotel Splendido. It included a olive oil lesson or something like that, but the cost through the ship was a lot more than what we paid on own own. The four of us ate for less than the cost of the excursion for two and we did not skimp at all, lots of wine, several courses (the excursion has a set menu), etc. Now the excursion group did look like they were having a great time, but I can't imagine it having been any better than our experience at half the cost.

This fall I think we will take a ship's excursion in Tangier as DH says he would be more comfortable in a group and with the ship. I'm not sure I agree, but certainly not worth arguing over it with him.

Have fun on your trip!

Archived