No Dom On Rccl?

Yesterday I went to the RCCL website to order a bottle of champagne for some friends that will be on their honeymoon cruise in June. I want to order Dom Perginon as a surprise and something special for them. Dom Perignon is not listed on the website. I called the 800 number and was told "it has been discontinued". When I asked what kind of Moet & Chandon is listed on the site for $70.95 I was told it was champagne. I told the woman I understand it's champagne - but what kind - thinking she would tell me one of their other varieties - White Star or Nectar Imperial etc - she said it's (spelling out) M O E T & C H A N . . . .I told her never mind.

I realize everyone isn't familiar with different brands, but this person was obviously only able to handle an order if one ask for item #1201.

I just wonder if Dom Perginon is still available on the ships - just not available for ordering as a gift - if so, it's a crime!

Ordering a bottle of champagne for your friends is verythoughtful, do you think they really care if it is DP or not. It is the thought that counts. Your friends will proabably be very happy with the champagne that they receive.

Annieeee

Ordering a bottle of champagne for your friends is verythoughtful, do you think they really care if it is DP or not. It is the thought that counts. Your friends will proabably be very happy with the champagne that they receive.

Annieeee

You are probably correct Annieeee - but I still can't accept the fact that their telephone agent can't tell me what variety they are selling for $70.95 . . . . .if it's just the M&C White Star, then no, I don't want it. I'd rather spend $125 for the DP . . . .but if it is Nectar Imperial or Imperial - I might consider it.

Just another example of medocrity!

What they carry varies some from ship to ship, sailing to sailing depending on supply, but here's the general European Champagnes available:

Champagnes

249 Moët & Chandon, Brut, NV

medium-bodied, dry

244 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin, Yellow Label Brut, NV

full-bodied, dry

237 Mumm Cordon Rouge, Brut, NV

medium-bodied, round, dry

210 Perrier-Joüet, Brut, Fleur de Champagne,

Cuvée Belle Epoque, V

full-bodied, dry

211 Taittinger, Blanc de Blancs,

Comtes de Champagne, V

full-bodied, fine mousse, rich, dry

213 Moët & Chandon, Cuvée Dom Pérignon, Brut, V

full-bodied, long finish, fine mousse, dry

On our January 2006 Voyager sailing we had the Moet White Star on board, I don't recall them having a very impressive wine list at all.

From the RCCL web site this is the domestic wine list.

Sparkling Wines and Champagnes

209 Asti Spumante, Martini & Rossi, Piedmont

Italy, NV

217 Korbel Brut, California, USA, NV

223 Domaine Chandon, Brut, Classic

California, USA, NV

225 Argyle, Brut, Willamette Valley

Oregon, USA, NV

249 Moët & Chandon, Brut, France, NV

244 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin, Yellow Label Brut

France, NV

237 Mumm, Cordon Rouge, Brut, France, NV

210 Perrier-Joüet, Brut, Fleur de Champagne

France, V

211 Taittinger, Blanc de Blancs, Comtes de Champagne

France, V

213 Moët & Chandon, Cuvée Dom Pérignon, Brut

France, V

I am pretty sure that you can gift your friends with the bottle before they leave and then pre pay the corking fee so they can enjoy it at dinner.

I know for a fact that RCCL let's you bring on any wine that they do not have listed for a small fee.

You may want to call and inquire about your friends bringing a bottle of Dom onbaord and how much to corking fee will be and can you pay for it in advance.

When I was on Voyager for the holidays they did not have DP available so I just took my own. Elsewhere on this site people have mentioned having Bon Voyage gifts delivered to the ship - not through RCI - that includes liquor or champagne. I believe it is in the thread asking about bringing liquor onboard.

We always had a cruise sailaway ritual to toast the shore good bye w/Dom. We always brought ours and charged no cork fee, as we drink up by the pool during the Bon Voyage party. We get 2 glasses from pool bar and toast! They have not carried it on the ships we've been on RCI (Celebrity carries we've ordered at dinner before), so we bring our own.

I guess since you're wanting to "gift" it in stateroom then you should order from what they carry. Sorry no DOM. :(

Another idea is to get their cabin decorated with the honeymoon package. I know it comes with champange set up in cabin. I am sure the champange is not as nice as Dom but the surprise gesture is nice. The cabin across from us last cruise was decorated. We caught the couple as they arrived and realized that friends of theirs had done this. They were truly moved. The groom dug out his camera from his carryon and started filming. We offered to take a few shots for them. They left the decorations up all week.

I received an email from RCI with their wine list attached, and DP was on the list, which just reinforces my perception of RCI's customer service - nice enough people, but inconsistently informed (or sometimes just clueless). Perhaps the list varies from ship to ship so you can only pre-order from a limited selection that all of the ships carry.

Sometimes even nicer restaurants ask you to order by bin number to avoid confusion. Since telephone customer service agents are sitting in front of a monitor with a FAQ booklet beside them, I would have been amazed if any of them could have answered your question. Depending on where the agent lives, there might not be an opportunity to see many of the different bottlings offered by Moet. Many beverage stores only have White Star on display.

IMO, your gift might actually taste better if it were a lesser wine, especially if the couple is arriving on the ship soon after the reception. The storage conditions on the ship or local warehouse might also be less than ideal for a vintage Champagne of the caliber of any of the top names on the list. Add to all of that the exorbitant price being asked and your friends might even be embarrassed by your generosity.

Perhaps another example in today's world of "No good deed goes unpunished"?!

Check the RCCI website - section "before you cruise". If you look at the Romance Package offerings, you can choose a package that includes Dom. Includes other things that champagne, but it says you can get Dom.

THANKS OPSoccermom! - perfect solution . . . in fact, even better than the DP . . . . I also get flowers, robes, picture frame - very cool . . . I guess I should have just harder and further . . . . once again CC comes thru!!!!

Archived